Looking for a couple of Beavers

new to the flock

Trix has been asking for a new pair of beaver slippers for Christmas this past couple of years. Today I went out and set a couple of conibear sets on water entry slides to see if I cant start the process off and fullfill this wish. I will be adding some snare sets tommorrow after I make a few up.

This is the first slide,

beaverslide1.jpg

First trap set in. The water drops to around 6 feet three feet off shore.

beaverset1.jpg

Slide number two,

beaverslide2.jpg

And ............

set number two.

beaverset2.jpg

We will see if anyone likes these sets tommorrow morning.

NTTF

Well the first set this morning had a bothersome muskrat in it,.....sorry the batteries went dead before I got a pic.... and the second set. Well the second set looked very promising as I approached. The stakes had been pulled, which means the trap was fired and held an animal. Problem was the beaver that was in that trap must have been a full 60 pounds or more as it fired the trap, pulled the stakes and then pulled out of the trap. It takes a big beaver to pull out of a 280 conibear this trap will kill a 45 pound coon instantly. Funny thing is the tracks that we saw there yesterday were indicative of a much smaller juvinile beaver. While todays tracks show a very large mature animal.

Pulled both sets and made a trip to the hardware store for some snare supplies, so will be heading back this evening or tommorrow morning to set some snares. Also have a conibear 330 rusting so that I can dye and wax it, he will not pull out of that one.

For the second time in 2 days I put up over 20 ducks as I was walking in, so My eldest, who was dyeing of the flu.....or was until I said I had to go out to check traps :shout: ......and myself spent a half hour putting a small blind together for tommorrow or the next day. Amazing how much better he was feeling :lol::lol::lol:

blind1.jpg

You can just make out the poor sick lad in this second one.....he be the one with the big smile :lol:;)

blind2.jpg

Well got the boys off to school this morning and then headed over to check out the snares that I set yesterday. This is my first time setting snares for beaver so did not know what to expect. As I was walking in startled a flock of 12 ducks that took flight down the creek. Before they had gone 100 yards all he!! broke loose. There was over 100 ducks in the air in seconds. :good: It was a beautiful site. Know where I will be either Friday or Saturday evening as they are using it as a roost site.

When I checked the 5 snares I found 4 of them bumped, and nothing moved at the 5th. Being the first snare sets for beaver that I have made I was not feeling too bad as it is a learning experiance. Reset the first two down lower and the other 2 up higher to see what happens. Think I will add some conibear trap sets to the works tommorrow.

Decided to give the creek a little walk to see if all the ducks had left. Ended up dropping 2 brace of wood ducks that are now cooking in a nice blueberry sauce for tea tonight :good:

All in all not a bad morning out. :good:

Still have to fit some deer hunting in this week :good:

and Bunnys :D

NTTF

Well the first set this morning had a bothersome muskrat in it,.....sorry the batteries went dead before I got a pic.... and the second set. Well the second set looked very promising as I approached. The stakes had been pulled, which means the trap was fired and held an animal. Problem was the beaver that was in that trap must have been a full 60 pounds or more as it fired the trap, pulled the stakes and then pulled out of the trap. It takes a big beaver to pull out of a 280 conibear this trap will kill a 45 pound coon instantly. Funny thing is the tracks that we saw there yesterday were indicative of a much smaller juvinile beaver. While todays tracks show a very large mature animal.

Pulled both sets and made a trip to the hardware store for some snare supplies, so will be heading back this evening or tommorrow morning to set some snares. Also have a conibear 330 rusting so that I can dye and wax it, he will not pull out of that one.

For the second time in 2 days I put up over 20 ducks as I was walking in, so My eldest, who was dyeing of the flu.....or was until I said I had to go out to check traps :lol: ......and myself spent a half hour putting a small blind together for tommorrow or the next day. Amazing how much better he was feeling :lol::lol::lol:

post-181-1164160116.jpg

You can just make out the poor sick lad in this second one.....he be the one with the big smile :lol:;)

post-181-1164160160.jpg

Think you have put up the wrong photo mate :good::):blush: