177 for a kid

My Mum's godson has recently turned 10, and fancies an air rifle as he has shot one with me a few times (quite well even with open sites on an old gun), and can also shoot with his cousin who is a member of a local rifle club. I have had air guns on and off for about 10 or 11 years, and have agreed that he can keep it with me (he has some volatile siblings) and i'll A) Find him something to shoot, and :lol: Teach him some gun safety.

So, as a consequence I'm looking for a gun for him - I assume a 177 would be better as a first gun and as he is only 10, also i had a Webley and Scott junior 177 as my first gun and it was ideal.

So I'd like some advice on getting a gun for him - 1st of all it got to be under £100 (and preferably a kit with a scope - maybe this is asking too much?) 2nd I'd like to get him something with a manual safety catch to teach him some gun safety.

So fire away with any better ideas/advice you have!

Cheers, Sam :angry:

My Mum's godson has recently turned 10, and fancies an air rifle as he has shot one with me a few times (quite well even with open sites on an old gun), and can also shoot with his cousin who is a member of a local rifle club. I have had air guns on and off for about 10 or 11 years, and have agreed that he can keep it with me (he has some volatile siblings) and i'll A) Find him something to shoot, and :lol: Teach him some gun safety.

So, as a consequence I'm looking for a gun for him - I assume a 177 would be better as a first gun and as he is only 10, also i had a Webley and Scott junior 177 as my first gun and it was ideal.

So I'd like some advice on getting a gun for him - 1st of all it got to be under £100 (and preferably a kit with a scope - maybe this is asking too much?) 2nd I'd like to get him something with a manual safety catch to teach him some gun safety.

So fire away with any better ideas/advice you have!

Go with a .177 then a few good starters are : HW25, BSA Meteor (most of the older lads on here will have started with one!), BSA Comet and Gamo Delta (synthetic stock, recommended by airgunner to a lad of 10)

The cheapest is the gamo which is around £60-70 so enough left for a scope and still be under 100 and probably my favourite choice due to weight, anti bear trap, price and sythetic stock.

HW25 is around £100 for the rifle alone, meteor is £115 (just gun) and and comet £120 (only full power rifle out of the 4 i have suggested)

Think about the use and his build then make a decision.

Dan

My two sons 9 & 11 use a Gamo Delta in .177 with a 3-9 x 32 scope. Its quite light and has a short stock at only 60 quid new + scope is good value. It is not a hunter as its only 6-7ft lbs. It is easy to cock has manual safety and makes an ideal first target rifle, very accurate too.

The Delta seems a good choice, however ideally i would like to find him some bunnies or pigeons to shoot, and perhaps it just hasn't got enough power for that?

I realise that BSA/Weihrauch/Gamo are well known makes, but are any of the cheaper rifles with more power a viable option? Accuracy is what it's all about i suppose, but it would be nice for him to shoot some live quarry.

Any more advice?

The Delta seems a good choice, however ideally i would like to find him some bunnies or pigeons to shoot, and perhaps it just hasn't got enough power for that?

I realise that BSA/Weihrauch/Gamo are well known makes, but are any of the cheaper rifles with more power a viable option? Accuracy is what it's all about i suppose, but it would be nice for him to shoot some live quarry.

Any more advice?

well it depends on his build, he may not be able to handle anything full powered as they weigh more! I would probably go with the comet or another gamo synthetic if you want full power for the lad. Just see how it gets on with heavier rifles at local clubs then try him on something bigger.

Good point, the SMK has the added bonus of being able to dismantle itself after you have become disillusioned with it, thus making it easier to burn.

With a bit of fettling however you are able to get it to land within a 6' radius of the zero point each time you lob it at a rabbit. This is infact more accurate than actually shooting it. As another option, increasing it's versatility is that you can gaffa tape a kitchen knife to the end of it whilst your grandad shouts "They don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwairing". Perfect for those Winter evening shenanigans when daylight is at a premium.

well it depends on his build, he may not be able to handle anything full powered as they weigh more! I would probably go with the comet or another gamo synthetic if you want full power for the lad. Just see how it gets on with heavier rifles at local clubs then try him on something bigger.

He's pretty stocky for his age, and shot a BSA meteor 22 quite well from standing the other day (no scope), so weight isn't really that much of an issue. What is the minimum pressure (lb/ft) recommended for live quarry then?

Sam :angry:

"Minimum" would be 10lb/ft IMHO. Any less than that then you are going to struggle with distances.

I'll sit down now and wait for the "I used to shoot rabbits at 50yds with old BSA that had rubber bands instead of the mainspring as we were so poor. It was only putting out 2lb/ft but I could get a tight grouping at 100yds ................ yada yada yada....... zzzzzzzzzzz ....... don't you know there's a war on........" type replies. :angry:

Try to find him a second hand BSA Supersport. I always shout about these as first guns because they are good and cheap. For a kid I'd get the full length gun rather than a carbine, he'll have a bit more leverage on the spring that way. They're also quite light as far as full power guns are concerned :angry:

It looks like we'll go for the Gamo Delta for now, and perhaps get him a sight at a later date - I may buy myself a full power springer within the next 12 months so if he wants I'll let him use that to shoot some live quarry.

Thanks for the help and advice guys ;)

Oh, one more thing what pellets are recommended?

It looks like we'll go for the Gamo Delta for now, and perhaps get him a sight at a later date - I may buy myself a full power springer within the next 12 months so if he wants I'll let him use that to shoot some live quarry.

Thanks for the help and advice guys ;)

Oh, one more thing what pellets are recommended?

Cant answer that question mate. AA fields or crossman accupels work well but just try a few pellets and see.

• 2 weeks later...
Good point, the SMK has the added bonus of being able to dismantle itself after you have become disillusioned with it, thus making it easier to burn.

With a bit of fettling however you are able to get it to land within a 6' radius of the zero point each time you lob it at a rabbit. This is infact more accurate than actually shooting it. As another option, increasing it's versatility is that you can gaffa tape a kitchen knife to the end of it whilst your grandad shouts "They don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwairing". Perfect for those Winter evening shenanigans when daylight is at a premium.

Stop it! I haven't laughed so much in ages.

• 1 month later...