Best / Worst Gun shop in N.Ireland

Ballymac

i do not work at lavin guns im actually in full time education and live in ballymoney. I have just said how i like the shop. I thought thats what this forum was about ? and fair enough some of his shotgun carts are not as cheap as some places.

cassells in ballymoney main street sell cartridges/bullets but you would need to rob the bank before you go into buy them :lol: last time i got 1s they where £1.50 a box dearer than anywhere else

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Crawford Sports in Maghera take my vote. Stephen and John are very helpful and very knowledgeable as both are shooters themselves and Stephen is also a very experienced fisherman. The shop has recently been done up and everything is easy to find. You can browse as long as you want and wont be harassed. They will provide advice and are happy to try and find a gun to suit your needs if they don't have anything in stock. I find their prices competative and rarely go past them.

Friend took a trop down to tonnyoky and said the shop was brilliant well worth the trip he said he also came away with a new lincoln over and under for £700 and its a smashing gun well worth the money

You'll not get many bargains in Tannyoky but they are civil fellas with a huge stock of everything. It's a dangerous place to go with money in your pocket.

You'll not get many bargains in Tannyoky but they are civil fellas with a huge stock of everything. It's a dangerous place to go with money in your pocket.

I would assume so most dealers are quite dear over hear compared to the mainland

My mate as I said bought that lincoln £700 brand new he went down with a grand and came back with pennies he bought a load of other stuff from him and hes now only going to ever go there from now on he told sl might get a run down with him sum time for a look myself

• 8 months later...

Hi, new on here and found this post on search engine so thought I would give my opinion.

I have had dealings and experiences with a few gun shop / dealers,

First guns were bought and traded up in tannyoky guns, I find cecil a lot better and pleasant than gavin. Cecil talks sense when trading in whereas gavin tells you your gun has lost a load of money as he can buy them in mainland cheap so offers REALLY poor trade in value. In general they dont want you there to browse, only buy and dont accept some people have smaller budget,

next was donal mccloy, again these guys are pushy, want a rich dodo to come and buy what they hand them. I wanted a certain gun, travelled miles to see it then got harrassed to buy guns almost a grand dearer, I bought one gun of him but was made feel like I wasn't leaving him enough money. Good selection and in general all 3 sales guys were pleasant but pushy.

next, I bought and traded a rifle, bought an air rifle and shotgun from norman harpur in fermanagh, he was a quiet man with a smaller selection of guns, he was pleasant and helpful, no frills but felt he was honest and treated me really well on a trade in, I have bought ammo of him many times and is willing to haggle on deals and often knocks off a few quid without asking. All round pleased with his service. Pity he hadn't a bigger stock of guns.

bought a pcp rifle of aa montieth near omagh, derek is boss and simon his son are both pleasant men, got descent deals on gun, cyl upgrade plus ammo at various times, reasonable stock but cramped and hard to see what he has but is willing to show you anything, good advice also. Has also dtl and sporting traps set up and dtl is floodlit and covered, overall good.

Was also with a friend who dealt at orchard guns near armagh, leslie willis owns it at rear of his house, again is smaller outfit but has some good stuff, good prices and keen to deal, had a few things I would have liked but didnt need, the deals were good but couldnt warrant buying, would recommend a visit and been a few times for a browse, ring ahead to make sure he is there.

home field and stream in enniskillen was a disaster, no qualified staff and the 3 times I went tbe sales guy talked plenty but it was rubbish, I had my mk70 grade 3 with me to try upgrade, he valued it at £400, then when I said eh! He said oh I would have to keep it and bring to his gunsmith to get a better valuation. Even .22 ammo the hadn't a clue, said all was same and if I thought they shot different then maybe my rifle was faulty and not keeping accuracy. Tool!

Been to the above places many times and built this opinion from experience both buying myself and with friends dealing.

been to few other places but couldn't give fair report on one visit,

Although crawfords in maghera was very good the one time I went in, I was only browsing but got chatting and the guy really wanted my mk70, he must have had a buyer for it, was giving great price,

I know this thread is old but still relevent today.

again I would say of all the shops tannyoky is by far the most impressive with fantastic amount of stock, thier attitude is bad, they sell loads so prob wont change. Gavin can be downright nasty, I have seen him cut many a man to shreds and the bigger the crowd the more he plays to them, I seen cecil doing a deal with a man, deal was all but done when gavin butted in and told his dad he was way off, he took the calculator and tapped out a figure that this mans rifle was worth, he asked the guy another £90 to trade up.

he didnt do the deal and when he said to cecil we had deal done, then gavin told him his rifle was a cheap piece of **** and he had 3 on the shelf so take it or leave it. Cecil walked away and the customer was left standing packing his rifle away while gavin said WHO'S NEXT

Edited by howdeedoo2

Some good assessments there howdeedoo. I haven't had any similar experiences with Gavin or Cecil. It only takes a few moments to let them know that you know your stuff. If you go in looking lost they can probably see it a mile off. A new shooter may as well walk in there with a big pound sign floating above their head. The same could be said for a lot of shops I suppose, not just shooting ones. If you are assertive and know what you are after then you will no doubt have a better shopping experience at Tannyoky

Some good assessments there howdeedoo. I haven't had any similar experiences with Gavin or Cecil. It only takes a few moments to let them know that you know your stuff. If you go in looking lost they can probably see it a mile off. A new shooter may as well walk in there with a big pound sign floating above their head. The same could be said for a lot of shops I suppose, not just shooting ones. If you are assertive and know what you are after then you will no doubt have a better shopping experience at Tannyoky

I agree with what you say, I suppose they can see a rabbit in headlights, as I was told before I first went " the customers are hypnotised"with the amount of guns, I suppose it easy to take advantage when people are like that, lol. In any business as you say

I am the sort of guy that researches what I want and go deal for it, I listen to the saleman and judge if he is just talking bull to sell or if he is genuine, even if he is spoofing I might not say anything buy they wont get the sale unless the deal is right, but more often than not the sales guys just talk the talk,

I have and will buy from tannyoky and gavin has treated me fine in the past when I was buying, I just seen him be rude and a bit bullyish to other guys, there is no need for it.

it is a great shop, still rate it tops as a shop. Prefer going there than donal mccloys. The mccloys boys are a bit ott for the ordinary man, all dressed swankey, spotlessly tidy shop, and seemingly expensive, but do have good knowledge of guns,

it prob seems I was harsh on tannyoky but just an opinion I got while there. Maybe gavin has had his fill of waster customers so cuts to the chase and comes across bad. Again they know thier stuff in general.

Btw I appreciate any feedback like this on my comments and info on other shops that is woth a look.

cheers

I found the same with McCloys. A lot of swankiness and a lot of guns, but it's difficult to feel relaxed in the shop. As for Tannyoky, I don't think you're being harsh, just honest. Working in retail isn't easy, and there are customers who know everything about your job and more. They are often difficult to deal with. Sometimes being direct is the only thing they understand. However, good customer service isn't hard to give no matter how much of an eejit the customer is.

Used to live in N.I. Have found lavin guns to be good, will match prices to else where and is willing to give you time to chat and if you want shoot a few of the guns. Mccloys have been pushy but will throw a few things in once you get to know them and get chatting, have spent a bit of money in there and been invited shooting with them. Tannyoky is hit and miss, Cecil has kept shop own an hour or 2 late chatting and making deals work so we both feel it was fair doesn't pressurise you and is helpful and chatty, Gavin can be bit sharp and charged me for the box of cartridges I used while testing a gun (£2.5k) that I bought. Not impressed with that! Just my thoughts!

Some fair assessments made here. I've bought from McCloy's (never again), Higgins in Raholp, Hollow Farm, Monteith, McNeice, Beattie in Moygashel and a few others now closed. But more than anywhere else I have bought fron Tannyoky.

I prefer to deal with Gavin as there is no bull from him. Cecil will talk for hours but say nothing in my experience. If I decide I want a gun I want a straight talker, a bit of haggling (I find Gavin hungrier for the sale), and a done deal. Im there to buy a gun plain and simple.

I find Gary most helpful of all but sadly hes not allowed to do deals.

Would deal with FireFly in Newtownards myself. Never had any issues, crackin one to one customer service. had some great advice from them without ever being pushy or pressured into buying something, has given some great discounts too and just really dead on people. Had a problem with a safety on an old shotgun, took it and sorted it no worries whatsoever. Very surprised to read about that semi auto shotgun incident with him, has always been an absolute gent to my father and I. Guess you cant be happy every day, doesn't make it right of course but it is unusual. Have heard Country Sports in Ards is a complete rip off but have never set foot in it.

Mate of mine bought a BSA Ultra along with charging bottle and everything needed for running a PCP, from McCloys, who promised the sun moon and stars with it, "tested and sitting at 19ft/lbs".. loada bull. We took it out to christen it. Pellet literally bounced off a rabbit at just under 30 yards. Took it back to McCloys who wanted absolutely nothing to do with it whatsoever. Contacted Tannyoky who couldnt have been more helpful who then sent it on to be serviced and tuned. The verdict on the Ultra came back that it wasnt even worth tuning. So opinions wouldnt be too high for McCloys

Edited by will2490

• 3 months later...

I get all my stuff from a local dealer Tac Ammo in Kilkeel Co. Down

Doesn't always have everything so i always text a week or two in advance.

Really good at getting stuff in when you need something!

Otherwise i have to head to Tannyoky .(Which have pretty much everything!)

But local dealer Tac Ammo is cheaper! Priced a TX200 HC with silencer recently Tannyoky = £515 Tac Ammo = £485!

Both good to deal with from my experiences anyway! :good:

I get all my stuff from a local dealer Tac Ammo in Kilkeel Co. Down

Doesn't always have everything so i always text a week or two in advance.

Really good at getting stuff in when you need something!

Otherwise i have to head to Tannyoky .(Which have pretty much everything!)

But local dealer Tac Ammo is cheaper! Priced a TX200 HC with silencer recently Tannyoky = £515 Tac Ammo = £485!

Both good to deal with from my experiences anyway! :good:

That's interesting - is he only rifle / handgun or does he have shotgun stuff too? I work with a guy from Kilkeel (he's also a PW member) and that could work well.

Thanks ollie - very kind. I'm near Lisburn though! Officially its Co Antrim but I sit pretty much on the boundary of Antrim, Down and Armagh. I'll remember the kind offer though!

No bother fella. For some reason I thought you were around Antrim town direction.

That's interesting - is he only rifle / handgun or does he have shotgun stuff too? I work with a guy from Kilkeel (he's also a PW member) and that could work well.

Rifles, Shotguns & Air Rifles. Probably could get handguns in but doesn't stock any.

Plenty of Bullets and cartridges!

Used to be 3 Gun shops in Kilkeel and i used to work in one!

A Blue Ltd - Quit the Guns.

Grahams - Quit the Guns.

Davy Annett (Tac-Ammo) - Still Alive!