Best / Worst Gun shop in N.Ireland

Ballymac

On 10/11/2020 at 21:10, Wb123 said:

If we are resurrecting this thread I will put a plug for Hollow Farm. Cheap, always a pleasure to deal with, and always have a solution to any problem or know someone who will.

Absolute gentlemen. Couldn't agree more. 

I've heard some good things about Lavin Guns too. I know Tom recently sadly passed away but Conor seems a decent lad. I was only in it once, and we didn't manage to do a deal but I was struck by how pleasant the experience was. Only thing was the HEAT. That wee stove had the sweat lashing outta me!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 09/11/2020 at 14:37, Cannon said:

Another thread resurrection. My latest dealings with McCloys have left me feeling disappointed with the place. Eunan? is only interested in the money. They are still as pushy as ever and seem to be stuck so far up themselves that they don't even recognise their own ignorance. It's as if you've stepped into their world and if you don't play by their rules then you aren't worthy of being one of their customers. If only there was a way to take them down a peg or two. Charging people for services that they haven't even provided, and doing everything they can to avoid having to admit liability for something that was their fault. Never again will I use them.

Between my dad and myself we have been using McCloys for years. Never got that impression from them at all. Always been more than pleasant and helpful to us. Can't say we have ever experienced that sort of thing from them. Wouldn't have a bad word to say about to say about any of the team there. 

What was the problem you had with them Cannon?

1 hour ago, WinkerWatson said:

Between my dad and myself we have been using McCloys for years. Never got that impression from them at all. Always been more than pleasant and helpful to us. Can't say we have ever experienced that sort of thing from them. Wouldn't have a bad word to say about to say about any of the team there. 

What was the problem you had with them Cannon?

It wouldn't be appropriate to comment in detail about the issues I've had with them. What I will say is that they remained polite whilst trying to dodge their responsibilities. Brass necks come to mind.

I tend to drop in to Hollow Farm for cartridges etc but my last experience with them wasn't great, it went like this. I asked for some standard pressure steel to try in my guns only to be told I would likely split my barrels and I would be better with a different gun.....hmmm okay then rather than follow the CIP regs you're assuming I haven't read up on this and got advice so want to sell me something, so I said fair enough what have you got in stock that's cheap as I was furloughed and money was tight but a trade in with some cash might be possible...salesman pitch came back again, "you really NEED to future proof yourself with a 3inch chambered gun" my thoughts on that was bloody nonsense but i was polite and asked to see what cheap knockabout stuff he had in stock. I was expecting to be shown a few Baikals or Hatsans for anything up to a couple of hundred. He came back with three guns "there you go a few of the cheap guns" a really scrappy Beretta that was £450, a Zoli with rusty barrels for £600 and a benelli semi auto for £700. To make him feel better i had a good play with them but commented that they all didn't fit well at all and told him I'll leave it and come back another time.

A friend of mine frequents their ranges every weekend and gets a look around the gun room and as far as he's concerned unless you are a really regular customer buying bulk cartridges and buying big money guns they arent much interested in you and you can expect to pay over the odds. The market here is small compared to the mainland, a gun over here that is priced at say £300 quid would sell in England for £150-£200 max.

I have dealt with Lavin’s a few times, Tom to begin with but lately Conor. Great family to deal with, always a decent selection of shells and guns. 

Young Guns also gets a thumbs up, Mervyn took the time to show me a few of his own guns while I was up. Seems to be holy to source specific guns for you.

Outdoor and Country Sports have been good to me also. Sometimes feel like they only sell what suites them - if it’s not their thing they have no interest in it - but hey ho - guns always seem fairly priced.

Visited Mccloys once, it wouldn’t be my type of place unless going to something specific. 

Serious Country Sports - limited stocks to guns, ammo can be hit or miss. When they have the stock it’s always a decent selection but have been quoted some extreme prices for cartridges, only happened once to be fair and always give them a go before I go anywhere else. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...