Which breed?

Big Dog

Bigdog

I have wanted a dog for years. After last nights efforts at picking up by hand, I feel that either I get a dog, or Mrs webber can come and run out to do the picking up. The problem being that she will probably yap far more than a dog, and not tackle the rough stuff. Thats it then, a dog it is!

This is not a rash decision, I have pondered for years, read books and magazine articles galore. although some of my shooting friends have ESS, which are excellent, and a great pleasure to observe, they will not sit still for too long, which renders them a little less than ideal for pigeon shooting from a hide.

My choice therefore is a black lab, I am however considering a dog, in preference to a bitch. Can anyone offer advise as to the pros and cons of dog verses bitch?

webber

After having a ESS Bitch, Lab Bitch and a lab dog, next one will definatley be a Lab bitch, Unless I am given a **** load of money and time at which point it would be an ESS.

But for your type of shooting mentioned (both by warcop & webber) the lab would be ideal.

Pros and cons of dogs v Bitches. (my view only)

Bitches come into heat every 6 months and can be a pain if shooting in mixed comapny. On your own no real probs. Tend to be more loyal than dogs.

Dogs tend to be bigger and bolder, helps when facing cover and carrying a goose across tidal waters ect...

So its own personal choice and get the missus to pick the pup out of the litter then you can always blame her if the pup / dog doent do what its told :lol::lol:

Bigdog

I have wanted a dog for years. After last nights efforts at picking up by hand, I feel that either I get a dog, or Mrs webber can come and run out to do the picking up. The problem being that she will probably yap far more than a dog, and not tackle the rough stuff. Thats it then, a dog it is!

This is not a rash decision, I have pondered for years, read books and magazine articles galore. although some of my shooting friends have ESS, which are excellent, and a great pleasure to observe, they will not sit still for too long, which renders them a little less than ideal for pigeon shooting from a hide.

My choice therefore is a black lab, I am however considering a dog, in preference to a bitch. Can anyone offer advise as to the pros and cons of dog verses bitch?

webber

Dog with good FTC's in the line. Getting £200-300 for covering bitches.

LB

There are some good ones but you have to work hard to find them.

Some one once asked me if I had a lab what would I call it ---- I said if it was a chocolate I would call it 'teapot' :lol::lol::lol:

If I had got 2 then I would have called the "lockstock" and "barrell"

Bigdog

webber

Good one mate. :lol: One of my sons is almost 8 and made up like Smeadle from Lord of the Rings. He don't get it from me. He would make a great retreiver but never shouts up, worst than the wife... :lol:

Pros and cons.

I have had English Springer Spanels Dog & Bitch

Jack Russels Terriers, Dog & Bitches

Staffy Bull Terriers both Dogs

And a lot of other bits and pieces that made mixed box of terriers and lurchers

Currently Irish Terrier - dog

In all cases the bitches were easier to train, more loyal and loveable, worked harder, seemed to be more intelligent and one of them would have fought to the death to protect me. I have had a bull terrier like that to.

My current Irish Terrier is old but although a great dog for family he see me as a threat to his territoty. The wife had him castorated while I was away on business. I'm not sure what signals see was sending me, :lol: any ideas :o

PS Thanks guys you have confirmed my own thinking. A small black Lab bitch

Hi Big dog

I can fully empathise with your predicament, having just gone through the same process myself. I did end up with a black lab bitch from very good lines, and so far am totally delighted. She is 5 months now and we are on the training posted by NTTF at top of this board. In generally its going well. I am a novice and understand I am learning as well as the dog, labs seem ideal as they are very keen and easy to bond with.

My need is also for an all rounder most of my sport is wildfowling, with the odd pheasant day, and pigeon and crows to help out on a local farm. A lab seemed to be the best option.

I have found I need to be quite firm with her to keep her on side, And I am told that dogs can be real ******* and will challenge you if you are not experienced enough to handle them, given half a chance. Good luck what ever you decide. There are plenty of folk here to help with questions and advise :lol:

pavman

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a ESS dog puppy and have joined a local training club. to see what the ES spaniels will do I would thoroughly recommend one, Especially with FTCh and FTw in the pedigree.

They are great fun and also affectionate if that is what you want.

Cheers guys, Great Forum

Martin