Shot size for sporting clays

Blunderbuss

I've just picked up a slab of Eley First 28g fibre, which I've always got on with, but picked up size 8 shot by mistake. I'm relatively new to clay shooting and have always used 7s or 7.5s before. Any handicap in using 8s on sporting?

I'd have thought they'd be an advantage on close in, or edge on targets due to a denser pattern, but that I'd possibly be handicapping myself at distance due to the more rapid fall off in pellet energy. The ground I shoot at has a good range of targets and I don't think any are too far.

Does anyone else shoot 8s?

Should I keep em or (18 mile round trip) swap them for 7.5s?

I suspect the answer as with choke, is not to worry about it and just shoot!

Cheers guys :lol:

Chard, I know Skeet shooters use 9s, but that's like shooting a cartridge full of those little black poppy seeds you get on posh bread surely! :)

A lot of the birds where I shoot are quite close, so it's the same principle as skeet shooting really. They're not bad on longish range clays either, they chuck a good, dense pattern.

Truth be known, I bet you wouldn't really notice a difference. If you hadn't noticed the 8 printed on them and just used them, you'd probably have thought they were your usual ones. :hmm:

I only tend to use 8's now. This is since I used them down at Shugborough a few months ago and found that they broke even the rangiest stuff down there extremely well. I was a bit wary to start with as I had 1/4 and 3/8 choke in and thought that I might be a bit undergunned, but changed up to 3/8 and 1/2 and it worked a treat! :lol:

I went to Highodge today and on coming home realised that by mistake, in my rushing around this morning I had packed mostly no 9's

I shot 100 clays, 75 clays shot at with no 9's and 25 with some no 8's

Even with the wind today did not seem to make any difference and my score remained about the same as usual, might of lost the odd distant clay but i doubt it.

No8's will be perfect. :lol:

I only tend to use 8's now. This is since I used them down at Shugborough a few months ago and found that they broke even the rangiest stuff down there extremely well. I was a bit wary to start with as I had 1/4 and 3/8 choke in and thought that I might be a bit undergunned, but changed up to 3/8 and 1/2 and it worked a treat! :lol:

You just copy what I do :):hmm::yes::hmm:

I usually shoot 7.5s and i'm currently about 1/2 way thro 3 thou of 8s can't say I notice the difference! You'd have to be a pretty consistent shot to derive anything slight diffs in shot size. That said I always keep a few 5's in my pocket when game shooting. I have shot a crows in a tree at around 45+ yds with 6's and watched them fly away many times and from exactly the same distance/and choke nailed them with 5's every time

6.5s, 28g of them and travelling at 1600fps :ernyha:, amazing stuff. Sounds overkill to some I know, but try them and see, choke up a bit aswell for the best patterns. If you can see it you can hit it!

Not for the recoil phobic among us though.

Brad

P.S. BTW I am refering to Hull Sovereign FITASCs

Edited by beardy_bradderz

I've just picked up a slab of Eley First 28g fibre, which I've always got on with, but picked up size 8 shot by mistake. I'm relatively new to clay shooting and have always used 7s or 7.5s before. Any handicap in using 8s on sporting?

I'd have thought they'd be an advantage on close in, or edge on targets due to a denser pattern, but that I'd possibly be handicapping myself at distance due to the more rapid fall off in pellet energy. The ground I shoot at has a good range of targets and I don't think any are too far.

Does anyone else shoot 8s?

Should I keep em or (18 mile round trip) swap them for 7.5s?

I suspect the answer as with choke, is not to worry about it and just shoot!

I find 8's fine good all round clay cartridge, I have used 9's on sporting clay shoots if that is all I could get.

Edited by farm boy

When you look at the Hull website all their cartridges whether it be the FITASCS or the lower range, once out at 30yds - 40yds are all around the same speed give or take a few FPS. So the faster cartridge does not seem to give significantly more hitting power. There is not a great deal of difference in the velocity of pellet sizes either.

What the cartridges with harder shot (dearer ones) seem to do is keep the shot pattern tighter over a longer distance.

Richard Atkins in Clay Shooting Magazine tested the intercomp HV and the top range sovereigns recently and the HV's at 40yds were throwing a 1/4 pattern through a 3/4 choke and the sovereigns were throwing a 3/4 to full choke so maintaining consistant pattern. Although opening up the shot in some situations would be an advantage.

You could go mad thinking about all this! - Best to find a cartridge you like get used to it and crack on!

Average Pellet Count 28gm cartridge

6.5 — 285

7 - 352

7.5 - 394

8 - 448

9 -630

Edited by Dibs

• 2 weeks later...

I usually use 7.5 or 8 i just bought some lylevale express 21grm HV 7.5 they are excellent and a bit cheaper too can hardly feel any recoil with them i usually use eley 24grm 7.5 but like these now. no disadvantages useing 8 over 7.5 for normal clays but for those really long range shots you might try useing a bit more choke to give a tighter pattern to break the clay.

Edited by mike.ginty