Shot size for sporting clays

Blunderbuss

Hi all

Im new here!!! Not a great shot - mid 30s out of 50.

Anyone shot the Hull Sovereign Fibre??

I know they're expensive but are they consistent??

Normally shoot 7.5's but thinking of 8s

Want to get use to one cartridge for clays and stick with them as in the past I've shot anything available at the ground.

Any views most welcome.

Thanks.

8 & 9's all the way.....6's for the rabbits though.......................... blink.gif

+1 8 or 9's through skeet and 1/4 in my Perazzi.

There isnt a bird I havent been able to kill with this setup, apart from the odd rabbit or high edge on midi's but I would probably miss those anyway!

You'll get as many answers as there are cartridges. Some will swear by high brass, diamond shot etc others the cheapest cartridge on the market. People perceive/feel recoil differently also. What some might say is an overly punchy cartridge others might say they are soft. If I was going to shoot a lot and wanted to pick and stick with a particular cartridge I'd buy ten different boxes what what I fancied trying. Shoot all of them and the one that I liked the most buy a few thousand.

I've used no 8 on sporting clays hit/miss just as many as I do with 7.5 so I don't even worry about it. Logic dictates the extra pellet count with no 8 might help though. I've always had good success with Hull Superfast 7.5 cartridges and they are reasonably priced. Not sure paying out and extra £80 per thousand for the Sovereign will help that much. On the other hand if you feel more confident and comfortable shooting the Sovereign cartridge that can certainly be worth the extra. Just my opinion obviously.

I've just picked up a slab of Eley First 28g fibre, which I've always got on with, but picked up size 8 shot by mistake. I'm relatively new to clay shooting and have always used 7s or 7.5s before. Any handicap in using 8s on sporting?

I'd have thought they'd be an advantage on close in, or edge on targets due to a denser pattern, but that I'd possibly be handicapping myself at distance due to the more rapid fall off in pellet energy. The ground I shoot at has a good range of targets and I don't think any are too far.

Does anyone else shoot 8s?

Should I keep em or (18 mile round trip) swap them for 7.5s?

I suspect the answer as with choke, is not to worry about it and just shoot!

Try Rio no 8s good at range and close in good breaks. I am currently using cheddite universal trap no 7.5 which are a good quality cartridge. Think u are supposed to pattern a few cartridges and find one that patterns well with ur set up and stick to it. I struggle to find somewhere to pattern my Shotton. Good luck enjoy the sport

Guest cookoff013

Just think about the very little difference you are talking about and you will soon realise its all in our heads.

i`ve found good hard 9s unbeatable through a good full choke dynamite on small targets.

F Black's?

I use these in my sxs, good cartridges and soft on the shoulder

I use them all the time too but it just goes to show kick, or it's perception, is a very personal thing. Passed a couple to a chap on the PW charity shoot who said. " cheers but they're a bit punchy!"