what magnification do you use?

aaron airgunner

Nearly always 6x on my Hawke Varmint II 3-10x44, that way I don't need to re-parallax for shots between 15 and 40 yards. Only reduce for very close range ratting. Upped it to 10x the other night to watch a barn owl feeding on a mouse (safety on!) but never shoot above 6x. Think I may go for a fixed mag scope next time (unless a bargain WTC comes up)

you dont need a silly high amount of mag on a sub 12ft airgun!

(ref to pigeons /rats /wabbits/not targets)

Maybe when stalking when you have to be a bit quick on the draw, but if you're hidden and have plenty of time to take your shot, there's no reason why you couldn't use high mag and parallax controls to rangefind, and increase your chance of a clean kill.

Having said that, I use x6 all the time, and am thinking about switching to a fixed-mag scope...

i have recently purchased a zeiss 4x36,i have never used a fixed mag scope before but now recommend them especially one with good glass.even though its only 4x mag its unbelieveably clear even when lamping.

:blink: Swarovski 6 x 42 fixed.

:blink: Swarovski 6 x 42 fixed.

Hi WGD - can I ask what gun/calibre you're using that scope on (cos it's one I'd love to buy when I win the lottery...), and what the normal working min/max range you operate at? Do you have any focus problems at the short end of the range?

on my .22lr ive got a 4-12x50, which is set on x6 zero'd at 50yds for most of my rabbiting and ive got a 3-10x40 on my .243 which is always set on x8 and zero'd at 150yds, if you have it set too high its difficult to pick up quickly what you want to shoot at

mikee