Zos Telescopic Sights

Frenchieboy

Hi Guys, I have just come across some Zos 3-9 X 50 IR Rifle Scopes at what seems like a reasonable price (£46.00 including postage) which I am thinking about getting to go on my 22-250 for foxing. The description says that they are suitable for Rimfire, Centrefire and Heavy Recoil Rifles but I have scanned the 'net but can't find any reviews for these scopes.

Does anyone on here use them and if so what do they think of them please?

Any help would be most welcome as it might save me from wasting my money.

Cheers Guys!

I am using a JSR 6-24 X 50 IR at the moment. It is currently fitted on my .22 Semi Auto but has been used on my 22-250, and it never lost its zero. I have to buy a new scope as I took it off the 22-250 when my (cheap) Tasco 3-9 X 50 went up the shoot. The only thing that I would fault on the JSR scope that I have is that it "greys out" a little if you do not get your eye on an exact plane with the scope, but that's no doubt my fault and not the fault of the scope.

Funnily enough I went out yesterday evening with the .22 S/A and the JSR scope fitted and with the extra magnification I found that I could take on the "slightly longer shots" with more confidence. i.e. I dont like taking rabbits with head shots at much more than about 50 yards but yesterday evening I was happy to take on a couple at between 80 and 100 yards with head shots - and get them!

i only use zos scopes :hmm:

i have a 3-9 illuminated on my 10/22 which does headshots on rabbits out to 80 yards and longest chest shot was 136 yards. im waiting on another 6-24 ir coming through at the mo, i had one before and took a sensible fit one day, thinking why do i need such a big scope on a 10/22? (even though i could get a sub 1" group at 100m with it, and once wrote my own name in a target). my mate now uses it on his .223 to great effect out to 250 yards without a problem.

few people realise that zos make the scopes for the chinese army, and also that they make alot of scope for the big name manufacturuers, who then stick their own logo on them and bump the price waaaay up :hmm:

only down side that ive come across is that if anything goes wrong with the scope you may have a good bit of difficulty getting it fixed (as the only place i found that sells them is ebay direct from hong kong/china), but ive never had a problem with the two ive had - 3rd one should be arriving this week :oops:

So Babbyc, would you (In your opinion) say that they are worth the money being asked by my seller (£46.00 including postage), and that the Zos 3-9 X 50 IR Scope would be suitable to fit to a 22-250 please.

Please excuse me for asking what might seem like very "basic questions" but I do not want to waste what little money I have on something that is not going to be suitable for the job or that will not last for a "reasonable time" without damaging the reticules!

I value the opinions of those with more experience than me :hmm:

Edited by Frenchieboy

:oops:

my 3-9 was about £30ish a few months back, so £46 would seem reasonable enough. as for it being suitable for a 22-250 i really cant give you an honest answer, as the most mine has had to deal with is a 22lr and i wouldnt feel right saying yes it will - and thats for any scope, not just a zos :hmm:

however i can say that my 3-9 looks and feels to be of the same build quality as the 6-24 i had, which is now working its way through the local fox population at an astounding rate on a .223, without any problems at all. also going by what i know of the company (making scopes for the chinese army) id assume all the scopes are built to be tough enough to withstand use on a centrefire rifle, and i know when (or shoul i say if, at this rate) i get a .223 in the next few months ill have no qualms about sticking the 3-9 on it :hmm:

Thanks for the mate! That's what I love about this forum, the fact that you can get honest and helpful opinions from the members such as yourself!

Judging by what you have said I will check the funds and most likely go ahead and order a set!

Many Thanks :hmm::hmm::oops:

don't expect much Frenchie, when you will notice it is if you sit out waiting for foxes at last light. Cheap glass you won't get a shot, frustrating as hell when you can see them through binoculars but not your scope. Buy cheap buy twice is definitely true with scopes, google these and see a broader set of results there are lots of reviews out there

i only use zos scopes :angry:

i have a 3-9 illuminated on my 10/22 which does headshots on rabbits out to 80 yards and longest chest shot was 136 yards. im waiting on another 6-24 ir coming through at the mo, i had one before and took a sensible fit one day, thinking why do i need such a big scope on a 10/22? (even though i could get a sub 1" group at 100m with it, and once wrote my own name in a target). my mate now uses it on his .223 to great effect out to 250 yards without a problem.

few people realise that zos make the scopes for the chinese army, and also that they make alot of scope for the big name manufacturuers, who then stick their own logo on them and bump the price waaaay up :lol:

only down side that ive come across is that if anything goes wrong with the scope you may have a good bit of difficulty getting it fixed (as the only place i found that sells them is ebay direct from hong kong/china), but ive never had a problem with the two ive had - 3rd one should be arriving this week :D

Babby, Zos may indeed make scopes for the PLA, but 'milspec' standards in the People's Republic are not quite the same as those you'd see in the USA or Europe. The Chinese Army is only formidable on the basis of numbers - their kit is cheap, archaic and comically ineffective, and as such should not be vaunted as an example of desirability. The PLA hasn't done much in the way of fighting in recent years (apart from machine-gunning students), so their kit is not battle-proven (unlike say S&B and Zeiss scopes).

Although Babby makes a good case, I would still avoid them.

If you do get a dud/average Zos think of the cost of ammo in constantly zeroing it in?

Also I find that cheaper scopes are worse than open sights in bad weather or poor light...

I just had a check on ebay and there's not many what I would class as average scopes on there-possibly this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikko-Sterling-Gold-...id=p3286.c0.m14

Babby, Zos may indeed make scopes for the PLA, but 'milspec' standards in the People's Republic are not quite the same as those you'd see in the USA or Europe. The Chinese Army is only formidable on the basis of numbers - their kit is cheap, archaic and comically ineffective, and as such should not be vaunted as an example of desirability. The PLA hasn't done much in the way of fighting in recent years (apart from machine-gunning students), so their kit is not battle-proven (unlike say S&B and Zeiss scopes).

fair enough baldrick, i can only go by the experience ive had of these scopes, which, as i said, having owned two and currently waiting on the third, i cant fault them :angry:

me too, bit lost :lol:

ive never had a problem with image quality, and what do you mean by tracking? anyway my new one was here when i got home today, shes away for 10 days tomorrow and im off work thurs and fri, solooks like ill be checking this one out to see how it compares :angry:

Hi

Had it on my 243 for the last 2 yrs, a 3-12 x56 ir and it has been superb it cost me 12 quid i bought it just to have a look really. It does the box test and it is very good in low light too certainly as good as my mates leupold and yes i know what good scopes are like i have a zeiss 8x56 and a 1.5-6x42 S+B. For the money mine was a bargain

Geordie

Hi

Had it on my 243 for the last 2 yrs, a 3-12 x56 ir and it has been superb it cost me 12 quid i bought it just to have a look really. It does the box test and it is very good in low light too certainly as good as my mates leupold and yes i know what good scopes are like i have a zeiss 8x56 and a 1.5-6x42 S+B. For the money mine was a bargain

Geordie

ZOS make scopes for many different distributors in addition to marketing themselves under the ZOS brand. Unfortunately, they all suffer from the same problems. Occasionally you may get one that will perform but by all the reports, I have read the good ones come along very rarely.

The main problems are holding zero - they tend to float about, or they will not adjust at all. The glass is poor and as fister said they will not pass the box test.

Box Test - is simply a test to confirm that the adjustment in windage and elevation is repeatable. i.e. from a shot at the bull at zero move 2" left and 2" up for the second shot (do this by adjusting the windage and elevation by the correct amounts according to the distance over which you are shooting e.g. if your scope adjusts .25 of an inch over 100 yds then to move your shot placement 2" you need to dial in 8 clicks).

The third shot is taken after you move 4" right (16 cliks), the 4th shot after moving 4"down and the 5th shot after you move 4"left. You then repeat with another shot after 4" up 4" right 4" down and 4" left. Do this again a third time followed by 2" up and 2" right, then put two more shots at the same place. (Obviously all shots have the same point of aim POI - at the bull)

If your scope has accurate adjustment and repeatability, your target will end up shot as a box with three shots in each corner and three in the middle. The box will have 4" sides with the 5 three round groups.

If it does not and you are a competent shot, then your scope has failed the basic but all-important adjustment and repeatability test or BOX TEST.

I have a 10 to 40 X 50 illuminated mil dot side adjustable scope by Mark Precision Optics of Australia - a wonderful looking piece of kit that was recommended to me for a .308 Target rifle. Having zero'd the scope 2" high at 100 yds I then proceded to place 10 rounds in a one inch group - brilliant I thought, till I tried the BOX test and it all went to rat ****.

Result - would not adjust at all and then lost zero. Found out from Australia that it was the biggest load of cr*p made by ZOS of China and incidentally although they state that ZOS make scopes for the Chinese Army - and I do not dispute this well known fact - it is very unlikely that you would be able to acquire anything that equals the very poor military standard issue models, which are far superior than those obtained from the likes of fleabay.

If its got Japanese lenses and not put together in China you stand a chance of getting an acceptable starter level scope - it will cost you upwards of £150 but will be good value for money and may be used on certain centrefires. Of course you can pay 10 times this amount and get much better optics and guaranteed repeatable adjustments, either by having the real thing or the backup service and guarantee that will ensure you will have the real thing.

Unfortunately there are allot more people that cannot afford this type of scope than can, therefore use your hard earned cash wisely and save your pennies until you can afford to buy a new Jap job or better still a good second hand German or Austrian glass.

Box test, I presume is to zero the scope then dial 5 clicks left take a shot, 5 clicks down take a shot, 5 clicks right take a shot and finally 5 clicks up, if the last shot isn`t on the first shot stick it back in the box and throw the lot in the river :good:

Thats where most of the cheap scopes I've come across belong!!