4X4???

milo2005

A very handy CHEAP offroader? Try a vitara. I have one and barring ripping the rear suspension off it whilst being a bit daft, it has run spot on! Very good offroad and pretty lightweight once stripped out of all the stuff they don't need...Rear seats, carpets etc. I boarded mine out so all the shooting gear sits nicely in the back.

If you go down the landy route they are far heavier and you do need to have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge. Parts for the vit are cheap too if you need them.

good call on the suzuki. Either way you should go jap - they're the toughest and most reliable vehicles. Period. Although LRs can be very capable off road, they are not known for high build quality and long term reliabilty. If you're going for an rough old 4wd, it'll be in the later stages of it's life, so wverything that can go wrong will.

So I wouldn't look at discos/freelanders/rangers - too many nightmare electrics etc.. If you want landrover, you should be able to pick up a rough SIII for not much. Otherwise, go for gold - a hilux or nissan D21

good call on the suzuki. Either way you should go jap - they're the toughest and most reliable vehicles. Period. Although LRs can be very capable off road, they are not known for high build quality and long term reliabilty. If you're going for an rough old 4wd, it'll be in the later stages of it's life, so wverything that can go wrong will.

So I wouldn't look at discos/freelanders/rangers - too many nightmare electrics etc.. If you want landrover, you should be able to pick up a rough SIII for not much. Otherwise, go for gold - a hilux or nissan D21

We were looking for a cheapish tidy hilux for the farm a few months back for use as a general workhorse. Looked on Autotrader and was amazed that they still fetch a high price. :angry:

I had a 1988 one a long time ago and it was ace. Never broke down on me, did everything I asked it to and always ran spot on. Just a shame they are so expensive still even for a 20 year old truck. I would have another tomorrow!

We were looking for a cheapish tidy hilux for the farm a few months back for use as a general workhorse. Looked on Autotrader and was amazed that they still fetch a high price. :angry:

I had a 1988 one a long time ago and it was ace. Never broke down on me, did everything I asked it to and always ran spot on. Just a shame they are so expensive still even for a 20 year old truck. I would have another tomorrow!

yep - the reason they still hold their value is because they last so long. There's no disadvantage to an older one!

As it's to be used solely off road and will be old I'd go for a Series III SWB Land Rover.

NO electrics to go wrong (only 1 fuse in the whole car!).

Can be started on a starting handle when battery's flat.

Ally body.

Chasis may/will rust but is easily "get at-able" and welded.

Anything that can go wrong will have already and have been fixed.

Spares cheap as chips anywhere in the country and the last of the "nuts and bolts" motors, fixable by any semi competent mechanic.

When totally knackered, retains its value for parts!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...