Massive confidence boost.....

Killjoy

Afternoon people….

Just thought id tell all about a shot I placed the other night with the 17 HMR, probably nothing special to the veterans, but Christ did it make me feel good.

I went to a permission which is a local go cart circuit, now I’ve been told that I can shoot any time there day or night, even during opening ours, and have done for around 2 years now. Out of consideration for the owner and abuse from anti’s, ive never shot there during their opening hours, which limits the shooting to after 8.00pm, apart from Monday’s when the place is closed all day.

After a lengthily chat with the owner, I set off to find fields full of tall grass, although full of sheep, so next week should be better.

After wondering about quietly and slowly for around 30min without seeing a thing, I decided to just test the zero hadn’t changed since shooting on the Sunday, so I let on rip across the dip in the land at a small mole hill around 100 yards away, with a puff of soil, I was satisfied with the result.

Bullets were Hornday 17grn blue tips, and the rifle is a Savage 93R17GVTB, with Edgar Brothers 3x9 x 40mm. (Not really a good enough scope for the gun, but a trip to Florida in November will sort that out).

I have the rifle zeroed at around 120 paces (which im guessing is around a bout 100yrds).

After just over an hour of wandering around like a possessed ninja, a target in the form of a large rabbit presented itself roughly 270 yards away, now the furthest live target ive shot in my short time with the HMR has only been around the 80 yard mark so nothing to write home about. Ive been shooting at static targets out to around 150 yards comfortably, limited by the magnification of the scope and actually being able to see the targets, my favourite being plastic bottle caps.

This little vegetarian, was much further than anything id ever tempted, I aligned the rifle with the rabbit to observe it for a minute, after all, this is supposed to be the art of “One shot, One kill”…So I needed to get things straight, first was determining the state of awareness of the target.

I closed the distance a little, in search of a suitable resting point. I had closed the gap by approximately 50 yards when I came across a slight incline in the terrain perfect to rest the fore end of the rifle on. Once again, patiently I aligned the rifle with its target, and peered through the telescopic at the unsuspecting, oblivious rabbit, that was so close to possibly, the end of its days… Perfect weather conditions, zero wind, guestimated around 220 yards, took out my ballistics sheet to calculate elevation, 220 yards, fall from 100yrd zero, elevation 1.75 inches. Great so the shot is a go, I took aim, but a powerful heart beat from the excitement, was throwing me off too much to take the shot, safety back on, ill wait a few minutes, see if things calm down. 5 short minutes later, with the steady hold over, and the pause in steady breathing, a 17-grain, ballistic tip bullet was sonic booming across the Welsh landscape to find its target just to the back of the eye socket, which naturally ended play time.

I observed for any further movement, before collecting my gear and setting off in the general direction, unfortunately I was unable to walk directly to the target, because of a tree line, and had to wander off 50 yards to the left through a gateway. Paced total was 286 paces, guestimated line of sight from shooting position to target, 220ish yards.

The rest of the evening due to lack of interest from the rabbits was spent watching the farmers Jack Russell through the telescopic.

Called it a day 30min later,

Total shots fired – 2

Total kills confirmed – 1

Enjoyment scale from 1/5 - 100

I did take pictures, but they’re still on my camera at home, ill post this evening if I remember how to do it…

Happy Shooting!!!

KJ

I would guess at 220 you would have had a drop of about 12 inches or there abouts and i am sure someone who can be ***** to look it up will let you know exactly in a minute.

If your range guestimating is that far out, get yourself a rangefinder or borrow one and as you are walking around try and guess how far away things are and then range it and see how close you can get.It will help and you get better as time goes on.

I get your point.

OK get yourself a rangefinder and throw away your chart and get one that says 17hmr at the top of it :good:

The thing i was getting at was even if he had the right chart and the guestimating of the range is 70 YARDS out,the chart wont help either.

Sniff,

Ok

visually estimating range is tricky, despite all that TA training :blink:

However.....post shot..... my farmers legs are calibrated for 1.0m steps

within <10% on the level or hard

Ok across rough undulating terrain allow a bit more

PS

I haint got my HMR yet

Dammn

Edited by dieseldogg

Afternoon people….

Just thought id tell all about a shot I placed the other night with the 17 HMR, probably nothing special to the veterans, but Christ did it make me feel good.

I went to a permission which is a local go cart circuit, now I’ve been told that I can shoot any time there day or night, even during opening ours, and have done for around 2 years now. Out of consideration for the owner and abuse from anti’s, ive never shot there during their opening hours, which limits the shooting to after 8.00pm, apart from Monday’s when the place is closed all day.

After a lengthily chat with the owner, I set off to find fields full of tall grass, although full of sheep, so next week should be better.

After wondering about quietly and slowly for around 30min without seeing a thing, I decided to just test the zero hadn’t changed since shooting on the Sunday, so I let on rip across the dip in the land at a small mole hill around 100 yards away, with a puff of soil, I was satisfied with the result.

Bullets were Hornday 17grn blue tips, and the rifle is a Savage 93R17GVTB, with Edgar Brothers 3x9 x 40mm. (Not really a good enough scope for the gun, but a trip to Florida in November will sort that out).

I have the rifle zeroed at around 120 paces (which im guessing is around a bout 100yrds).

After just over an hour of wandering around like a possessed ninja, a target in the form of a large rabbit presented itself roughly 270 yards away, now the furthest live target ive shot in my short time with the HMR has only been around the 80 yard mark so nothing to write home about. Ive been shooting at static targets out to around 150 yards comfortably, limited by the magnification of the scope and actually being able to see the targets, my favourite being plastic bottle caps.

This little vegetarian, was much further than anything id ever tempted, I aligned the rifle with the rabbit to observe it for a minute, after all, this is supposed to be the art of “One shot, One kill”…So I needed to get things straight, first was determining the state of awareness of the target.

I closed the distance a little, in search of a suitable resting point. I had closed the gap by approximately 50 yards when I came across a slight incline in the terrain perfect to rest the fore end of the rifle on. Once again, patiently I aligned the rifle with its target, and peered through the telescopic at the unsuspecting, oblivious rabbit, that was so close to possibly, the end of its days… Perfect weather conditions, zero wind, guestimated around 220 yards, took out my ballistics sheet to calculate elevation, 220 yards, fall from 100yrd zero, elevation 1.75 inches. Great so the shot is a go, I took aim, but a powerful heart beat from the excitement, was throwing me off too much to take the shot, safety back on, ill wait a few minutes, see if things calm down. 5 short minutes later, with the steady hold over, and the pause in steady breathing, a 17-grain, ballistic tip bullet was sonic booming across the Welsh landscape to find its target just to the back of the eye socket, which naturally ended play time.

I observed for any further movement, before collecting my gear and setting off in the general direction, unfortunately I was unable to walk directly to the target, because of a tree line, and had to wander off 50 yards to the left through a gateway. Paced total was 286 paces, guestimated line of sight from shooting position to target, 220ish yards.

The rest of the evening due to lack of interest from the rabbits was spent watching the farmers Jack Russell through the telescopic.

Called it a day 30min later,

Total shots fired – 2

Total kills confirmed – 1

Enjoyment scale from 1/5 - 100

I did take pictures, but they’re still on my camera at home, ill post this evening if I remember how to do it…

Happy Shooting!!!

KJ

ignore them all.....long as you hit the target and had fun with the .17 who cares how far away it was..... :blink:

shaun

i got my first kill with mine 2 weeks ago.....crow at 150 yards (rangefinder)... :yes:

Edited by shaun4860

I cannot believe what I have just seen. :yp: :good:

What you have done here is broken the simplest rules of firearms use:

NEVER POINT YOUR GUN, BE IT LOADED OR UNLOADED AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO KILL.

For shaming purposes, I will clearly point out exactly what I am angry about:

DSCF0969.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

...I think your confidence boost may feel rather deflated now.

:good: :good: