Landrover Discovery 4

Boromir

My mate has the disco 3 and it is a fabulous car and I am sure the disco 4 will be better . The only thing that I dont like about the disco 3 is the silly ,silly ,stupid back hatch door that opens upward and downwards . Why did landrover go for this silly split opening back door .

Harnser .

I agree. It's probably because the majority of owner use cases reflect a trip to Tesco's or Sainsbury's and it's useful to stop all the shopping falling out the back.

Also a single tail gate unit would be rather heavy and as such a challenge for some people to lift as well as a durability issue for the dampers.

All that said, they could probably have adopted a split-lift system that is common on a number of other 4x4's - heck, even a Kuga has that feature.

BR

Raja

Yes ,what you say is true ,but why not have the same door as the al the previous discos . A door that swings out from left to right for ease of loading . Hell you carnt even sit on the back of the disco 3 for a cup of coffee . Beause of the height of the tailgate it makes it more difficult for loading heavy bits of kit ,washing machines ,fridges ect ,and yes people do use these cars for that purpose at times . Its also much higher for dogs to jump in and out and awkward to hump deer into the back or any other pieces of gear because you have stand back from the car the width of the bottom part of the door and manhandle the load over the dottom half of the door . In my humble opinion a very bad design and the only part of the disco 3 I dont like .

Harnser .

Harnser, LR changed the door mechanism to cater to the hundreds of thousands of LR customers that allegedly go to point-to-points, and need a platform from which Pimms may be served and fillies observed. The Disco 2's side-hingeing door was impractical, apparently. I agree with you on the Disco 3's door design, as an ex-owner of a Disco 3 and a current Disco 2 owner - it's a rubbish design. However I also think the Disco 3 is gash. In fact anything LR is pretty rubbish.

I spent the thick end of £50,000 yesterday morning on two LR Defender 110 crew-cabs for a client, for whom social status and image counts for more than reliability and durability.

are they trying to go back to the design of the Range rover tailgate on them?

I never thought I'd hear you slag off LR Baldrick i thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, in fact the best 4x4 by far (assuming you're handy with the spanners and like getting greasy at weekends :good: )

I prefer the door set out compared to my disco 1 - makes it easier for chucking shopping in and the lower part makes a good platform for standing on if you need to get somewhere high - picking sloes for example! while I agree it is quite high for the dog to jump in and out of (we lift her at the minute, she is too young to jump it) with the suspension in access height I doubt it is much taller than the original disco.

for humping heavy loads in, there is a slide out try with a 150KG load capacity which makes it easier. Its quite expensive, but not as expensive as fixing a ****** back.

My mate has the disco 3 and it is a fabulous car and I am sure the disco 4 will be better . The only thing that I dont like about the disco 3 is the silly ,silly ,stupid back hatch door that opens upward and downwards . Why did landrover go for this silly split opening back door .

Harnser .

I find the drop down part of my lr3 very usfull both for sitting on and because mine is a commercial I can lie in the back with the bi pod sitting nicely on the tail gate and get some shelter from rain.

are they trying to go back to the design of the Range rover tailgate on them?

I never thought I'd hear you slag off LR Baldrick i thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, in fact the best 4x4 by far (assuming you're handy with the spanners and like getting greasy at weekends :good: )

Yes, the Disco 3 and 4 has the split tailgate from the RR. The RR Sport has something different (and worse still).

LR Defenders are the best off-roaders and farm trucks, because they just go further and can be repaired by even the most mentally-defective farm mechanic. However, they're good for nothing else and they cost a lot of time, sweat and cash to keep in repair - cash we enjoyed when farming was profitable, but now that we're in a recession. Discos I have fallen out of love with 100% over the last 6 months, and RRs and RR Sports aren't my scene.

I've just come round to the sense of owning something where reliability is the key criteria, not image. Money talks. Hence the Touareg/Shogun argument.

take the split tailgate off and stick a roller shutter on :blush:

or buy a series as long as you dont mind the heavy steering lack of comfort **** brakes and draught oh and you can weld this in consideration wouldnt be without mine takes me any where I need to go where my car wont take me

Edited by ST3V3

Spent a day on an island called La Graciosa this summer; it has to have the largest number of Land Rover Defenders per head of any place on earth. There is about a 300 yard strip of tarmac by the port and the rest of streets are sand - literally straight out of the front door into the street of sand.

Some of those LR's are a lot older than me, the "taxi" we went in (a 130) had done several hundred thousand kilometres. 20 minutes to the beach from the port later and I got out with my teeth shaking and my jaw aching (the kids laughed their heads off in the back for the first 10 minutes or so). I doubt very much that any other mass produced vehicle could survive that environment. It cannot be a coincidence that we didn't see anything other than LR's on that island?

Seriously I have driven on special surfaces tracks in the UK, Belgium, Spain and the Arizona desert - they don't come close to what those vehicles go through day in day out.