gun cabinet postioning on a concrete floor

daveydw

Hi just a few questions do any of you shot gun certifcate holders have there cabinet secured to the floor only

i ask this as iam getting my cabinet next week before they come out to check it the problem is the only place i can secure it out of the way is in a cupboard under the stairs with a concrete floor in which i intend to bolt it down with 4 bolts in the base so it stands in the up right postion on the concrete floor

They wont allow a cabinet to just be bolted to the wall. If you think about it, a rope tied round the very top and three strong blokes could easily pull it over. The leverage is too much and the floor bolts would give way.

They even advise you to bolt it into the corner of a room so that it's harder to get off the wall.

I originally wanted to bolt mine to the floor but when I spoke to my FAO about it he said that would be OK as long as I put it lying down so the bolts went through the back of the cabinet. If you bolt it only through the base of the cabinet it would be quite easy to lever it from its fixings.

They wont allow a cabinet to just be bolted to the wall. If you think about it, a rope tied round the very top and three strong blokes could easily pull it over. The leverage is too much and the floor bolts would give way.

They even advise you to bolt it into the corner of a room so that it's harder to get off the wall.

IM SURE YOU MEANT THE FLOOR :yes: As mine is bolted to a wall, not a corner, flat wall, No problems when i had my visit. :blink:

Edited by mayfly36

• 1 month later...

I think you need to talk to your FEO. If you explain your problems and how you came up with your "best case" scenario I am sure you will be fine.

Mine is in a built in wardrobe and is rawl bolted to an external wall through the back of the cabinet and the ammo safe I use.

If you rawl bolt to the floor you could perhaps put a metal plate (suitably drilled) in the bottom of the cabinet to make a stronger base. The normal gun cabinets are not theft proof, it just means your guns are reasonably secure and that is all the Police want. If this was not the case they would make us buy gun "safes". Locks, cabinets and safes just buy you time! Safes are not thief proof, none of them are, not even bank vaults.

ft

I think you need to talk to your FEO. If you explain your problems and how you came up with your "best case" scenario I am sure you will be fine.

Mine is in a built in wardrobe and is rawl bolted to an external wall through the back of the cabinet and the ammo safe I use.

If you rawl bolt to the floor you could perhaps put a metal plate (suitably drilled) in the bottom of the cabinet to make a stronger base. The normal gun cabinets are not theft proof, it just means your guns are reasonably secure and that is all the Police want. If this was not the case they would make us buy gun "safes". Locks, cabinets and safes just buy you time! Safes are not thief proof, none of them are, not even bank vaults.

ft

I agree with this. Ring your FEO, but instead of just asking where can I put it/ can i do it run through the thought process of why you need to put it there. It needs to be reasonably secure and as long as you explain why it is best there then they shouldn't have aproblems with it. I didn't lay mine on the floor because I though someone might trip over it,even if it was against the wall. The fact you want to put it under the stairs is a bonus mention that it is a better site than against the wall elsewhere because it is out of sight. Is the cupboard door also locked etc, alarm?

Dan

Edited by reddan