Jimny?

RossEM

Right, so I'll be needing a new car next year.

I'll be doing mostly road miles, don't need acres of space inside and I don't want a chelsea tractor. Just need something I can get on (and out of) the fields with, and that I can also use for commuting to work.

So I've been looking at looking at a Suzuki Jimny, as they seem to be pretty good all round, small-engined so I assume reasonably cheap to run, and have been told they're very reliable.

What I would like is for anyone who owns/has owned/has experience of driving one to post a reply and let me know all the positives/negatives.

1. How good are they off road?

2. Average miles per gallon?

3. Likely insurance costs?

4. Things that go wrong/things to watch out for?

5. Reliability on-road?

6. Alternative vehicles I should consider?

7. Are these really a hairdresser's car?

8. Availability of spares/accessories?

Cheers, Ross.

I Have a Susuki JLX which is much the same as the Jimmy.

I'd get another as soon as this one gives up.

I know about and have had a problem with the front hubs not locking into 4 wheel drive,

but i got a pair off the internet from a breakers for £80. to buy them new would be more than the value of the car at £200 per side :good: .

They are a great little car and as it is small and light i am aloude to drive it around the Golf Courses that i manage, which is great when carrying a gun and doing the Mole trapping at the same time.

The Susuki is a real MANS MANS car aswell, so dont listen to those tarts who say its a Hiardressers car. They only say that because they would love one aswell, but have to have a gas guz to keep up with the Jones's IMHO :good:

So go for it, £150 fully comp on the insurance. I got AT tyers for £28 each. It cost £35 quid to fill it up and I get 200 miles to the tank.

Best 4x4 going

i think SS should get himself one it would be better than that FREZZER BOX of a LANDY that we go out in from time to time

PELTMAN :good:

I'll be doing mostly road miles, don't need acres of space inside and I don't want a chelsea tractor. Just need something I can get on (and out of) the fields with, and that I can also use for commuting to work.

So I've been looking at looking at a Suzuki Jimny, as they seem to be pretty good all round, small-engined so I assume reasonably cheap to run, and have been told they're very reliable.

What I would like is for anyone who owns/has owned/has experience of driving one to post a reply and let me know all the positives/negatives.

5. Reliability on-road?

Cheers, Ross.

Hi I own one have had it about a year now. Its a good overall car as with all cars there a good points and bad points about it.

1) From what I hear they are good off road with decent at tyres, I have not yet experienced off road driving much as I have not bought AT tyres.

2) I think I get about 40 miles to the gallon

3) I am 24 and been driving for 3 years my insurance for this vehicle is just under £500. Have put in another quote for this year and cheapest this year is £360.

4) During the first three months of me getting it I had trouble with the starter motor I think. As one minute it will start ok then the next it wont start at all. I think it was a sticky starter motor as I have not had any trouble since February.

5) I find that on road jimny is not that great on road.

6) Dont know

7) People do say they are a hairdressers car but this is like my 2nd car and first 4x4, you got to start somewhere.

8) Spares are easy to get.

5. Reliability on-road?

Cheers, Ross.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpaRF6qmTg

2. cant give exact figures, at a guess roughly 28-30mpg? They do get juicy on the motorway going over 70mph.

3. Insurance grp 7. Think I pay £130 fully comp.

4. I have only had mine a year, have not had any problems what so ever

5. Same as 4 really, just dont use 4wd on the road

6. Shogun pinin, fourtrak, vitara?

7. More of a noddy car, but its awesome fun going past stuck L200's, Toyota hilux's, and a good few other ''top end'' 4x4's

8. Loads available along with mods too

Theres a few forums also worth a look.

http://www.shropshire-suzuki.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

http://forum.difflock.com/

http://www.suzuki4x4club.com/forums/

All the best

Chris