Mitsubishi v Toyota

robmiller

Ok, have pretty much narrowed my search for a small 4x4 down to a mitsubishi or a toyota.

I am not going to be going in the sahara or through the nile with it, i just want it for getting to and from, in and out of fields, farm tracks, carting plenty or **** about and a dog and pottering about in woods.

I have seen this mitsubishi Shogun Pinin 3 door (1.8 petrol)

or alternatively something like this 5 door RAV 4

The toyotas come in the 1.8petrol or 2.0 petrol or alternatively the 2.0 diesel.

I am sure people have considered the above type of cars, can anyone provide any assistance and advice re problems, which vehicles to go for? Ability.....and would i look horribly homosexual in the pinin?!

you'd probably look quite homosexual in either :good:

however if they are the options the rav 4 hasn't got much in the way of ground clearance and realistically neither is going to be great off road. In that size of 4x4 you'd be much better off looking at a suzuki offering

Shogun everytime, it has low range, better ground clearence and a harder wearing interior, although as alex says the suzuki vitara will knock spots off of both, my one went anywhere! i would even go as far to say that it went places my discovery won't go..(due to the discovery trying to drive through things while the suzuki drives over..)

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

My one was the 1.6 and it was superp, maybe not suited to motorways but that's not really what it was built for, it was never short of power offroad if you throw it into low box...

Highly recommended...infact the only reason i changed mine was i wanted to go from 3 cars to 3 so needed something that would pull 2 ton and fit adults, dogs, prams etc....if it wasn't for that i would happily still have it! and mine was super clean underneath (you will find they tend to rot underneath if not looked after...

And if you but one in SWB i'll send you a set of stainless bull bars that are nearly new for nothing but the postage costs!

I actually miss my vitara, it had character!

post-10812-1255089643.jpg

The Pinin has a hi/lo box with super select 4 wheel drive allowing you to drive on tarmac in 4 wheel drive. It is a much more heavy duty vehicle then the Rav and well worth considering.

We have a Pinin and a Vitara and the Pinin will go anywhere the vitara will with a better ride and more refinement. Both go where my Disco won't !!!.

We have two vitaras in our house, Mrs lee's V6 long wheel base for road work and the smaller SWB 1.6 JLX for pure offroading. So far we have yet to get it stuck and man have we tried to. The small one gives a harsher ride due to it's shorter wheel base but having the low box and off road tyres means it will go literally anywhere we ask it to.

The newer V6 is nice and clean still and I have used it offroad on road tyres and only got it stuck once in a bog we didn't know about. Used the smaller one to drag it out in the end. Purely down to tyres though was that. the 54 plate one gives a nice smooth ride, is fair on fuel and the low box again works very well. If you go for a LWB one then I would instantly buy diff plates to protect them. These are weak points in a heavy bump. A discrete plate works wonders. We have towed a large trailor behind the new one and it coped well. Only slowing down on steep hills a little but a change of gear soon had it pulling as though the weight wasn't even there.

I would never have even looked at a suzuki until Mrs Lee said one day she had sold her other motor and bought the V6. Now though I would happily and confidently buy another tomorrow.

The older little SWB has probably cost me around £100 total in two years of abusive offroading. The newer one has cost us nothing so far in two years barring servicing and tyres.

be carefull with the mitsy pinin.they are common in coking up with carbon causing poor idling and drivability,they require a carbon blast,throttle body/throttle body clean depending on how bad it is,also garenteed 4 injectors @ £375 each,i work in mitsubishi as a mechanic and have done a few recently,if its got a gdi badge on it leave it alone,just my advice :blush:

:yes: I got a Xreg lwb Vitara 2yrs ago I should have got one years ago 2ltr petrol returns 30mpg week in week out great for going up farm tracks & across fields not got stuck yet It does everything I ask of it its my only car so the family veichle as well, the ride can be a bit bouncy on some B roads & if I replace it I will get a newer model My uncle has the pinin on an 04 plate the boot height is more raised than mine & my dog crate has not got as much clearance @ the sides & top as the Vitara. The Vitara's back seats fold down were as the pinins is a bench for the bottom which has to be lifted out & stored somewhere that one of the only reasons I had the Vitara. drive wise I don't think theres mutch in it mpg is the same & more Vitara's out there than Pinins. Forget the Rav4 just road use. :)