Advice needed on how to deal with slimey car dealers

Stealth Stalker

After going to my local Toyota & Mitzy dealers today & spending about an hour arguing with the guy at Toyota on how I would be paying, I'm a bit confused :good:

When I told him I'd be paying cash, he screwed his smarmy face up & told me I didn't want to be doing that, he then went into his well rehearsed speil about depreciation, throwing my money away blah blah blah.......I glazed over after about 5 minutes as he baffeled me with figures.

Whats the score with buying a motor outright as apposed to getting it on finance...surely I'm gonna end up paying more for it in the long run?

He was saying that after the 3 year term I give them the keys back & I'm quids in???

As for Mitsubishi, they were a waste of space, seemingly not having an L200 of the spec I wanted in the world :good:

Neither dealers could show me the motor I wanted either.

A confused SS

Mungler's tips:

1. Take Matt (LV aka ME) with you.

2. don't believe a word a car dealer tells you; he tells you the sky is blue, best look up and check

3. cash is king (always) if he won't deal for cash or give you a decent discount then walk

4. they make more for selling the finance than they do the car

5. get in touch with Brian (BTMS) off here - top geezer; sorted Matt with his van

6. don't be afraid of being rude to them (see number 1, above).

Car dealers (especially used) are the lowest of the low. Treat them with respect like you would everyone else, but make them work hard for their money. I ALWAYS pay cash, and NEVER the price they are asking. There are always cars with similar features/mileage costing less money somewhere close. Play them against each other. I have bought three cars in the last year, I did the above and saved loads of money on very decent cars.

I work in a car dealership teccy though not a salesman I got a proper job

The upshot is simples they get a percentage of the finance hence dont really want to do cash deals as for not having the spec you want every dealer will try to sell stock cars before they order one in special for you That keeps there the franchise bonus up thinking of themselves once more

The upshot is as has been said your a cash buyer keep walking till you get the deal you want , the motor trade is screwed at the moment so persavere and you my freind will reep the rewards

Hope this helps jim

unless he is going to offer you 0% finance, its a no brainer.

Keep walking until you get what you want, what with the government scheme on new cars and the economy in general, they need your business.

Even if you needed to raise finance, HP should be the last point of call, better rates to be had elsewhere

auto trader has a list of new cars as well so worth checking if you can find a new or pre registered model you want on there, ignore the finance they offer and every other extra if you've the cash you just want the car and none of the expensive extras that seem to add a lot more to the cost.

Use local dealers to find the make and model you want and then look elsewhere for a better deal on it. Remember you're a cash buyer and they need you more than you need them so make them work for the sale.

little brother a few years ago called a ford dealer after a transit turns out thy had an ex demo 6 month old with 10 k on the clock ticked all the boxes for him and some with all the extras on it so he asked for there best price which was £10k ok be there to collect tomorrow the picture when we picked it up was so so comical pull up up in a black xj hand over a ruck sack stuffed with used notes theres your 10k cash

couple of years later he did a cash deal on a new cooper s and the bmw dealer refused to take the ruck sack of cash so cheque book had to come out why cant they understand a cash deal envoles notes

I agree with the others.... they want you to finance instead of buy outright, but none of them would EVER finance a car themselves unless it was at zero interest.

Here in France it is against the law to pay cash to a dealer for a car outright. Because we were US citizens, we could pay a part of it in cash.

I knew a guy at our local coffee house a few years ago who had been a car salesman for twenty plus years, and I'll never forget when he said, ".... and when we REALLY want to screw you, we get you to lease the car...".

I know leases work for a lot of people, but in recent years the "buybacks" are painful. I've always thought it best to pay outright and buy a vehicle with good resale value.

After that it is up to whether the guy who assembles your transmission ws thinking about your transmission or his girlfriends butt.

Pete

Dont do HP or lease.

The dealership get a kick back from the HP / lease company and thats all they are interested in.

I would buy nearly new / pre registered from a local independent garage or better still thru a private sale.

EDIT: I have, and would again contact Brian at www.vanmonster.com in Colchester and tell him you are on Pigeonwatch. :blush: (they dont just sell vans and have other vehicles for sale that arent on their website)

Edited by ME

Cheers ME

I've met Brian a couple of times at PW meets & know he's the man for used motors.

Thing is I'm sold on the scrappage scheme :blush: I've got an N reg sprinter that is very tired, admitidly I've negleted it & with the MOT & tax due soon and a lot of work required to get it through the next MOT in my mind its a no brainer for the 2k I can get for it.

Unless of course I could get 2k off the price without the scrappage.

Oh & its you thats got me looking at the Hilux :good:

Cheers ME

I've met Brian a couple of times at PW meets & know he's the man for used motors.

Thing is I'm sold on the scrappage scheme :good: I've got an N reg sprinter that is very tired, admitidly I've negleted it & with the MOT & tax due soon and a lot of work required to get it through the next MOT in my mind its a no brainer for the 2k I can get for it.

Unless of course I could get 2k off the price without the scrappage.

Oh & its you thats got me looking at the Hilux :hmm:

The van monster Newmains depot have an L200 Warrior £10650

Make: Mitsubishi

Model: L200

Derivative: WARRIOR DI-D D/CAB 4X4

Mileage: 18,808

Year: 2007

Reg: DN56NZD

Fuel: Diesel

Colour: Silver

Stick the Sprinter on Ebay with a low reserve and get shot. You will find that you'll get half decent money from it as the scrappage is keeping the lower end of the market artificially high. You might get a nice African gentleman who will want it for export :blush::good:

Edited by ME

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=101034

I looked at a truck at the Midland but they offered 1K less on trade in - called my local dealer (they had offered me a deal - without extras) matched the deal offered at fair :good: extras were - tow bar, mat's, load liner, mitsy 3 year service plan & full leather for about £400 more than the base deal :good: Trade in was 1K above book & got canopy fitted more or less at cost :blush: The dealer knew I would pay by cheque or switch :lol: Scary thing is I never even had to verify payment :hmm: I could have gone for Mitsubushi's 0% finance

After going to my local Toyota & Mitzy dealers today & spending about an hour arguing with the guy at Toyota on how I would be paying, I'm a bit confused :blush:

When I told him I'd be paying cash, he screwed his smarmy face up & told me I didn't want to be doing that, he then went into his well rehearsed speil about depreciation, throwing my money away blah blah blah.......I glazed over after about 5 minutes as he baffeled me with figures.

Whats the score with buying a motor outright as apposed to getting it on finance...surely I'm gonna end up paying more for it in the long run?

He was saying that after the 3 year term I give them the keys back & I'm quids in???

As for Mitsubishi, they were a waste of space, seemingly not having an L200 of the spec I wanted in the world :good:

Neither dealers could show me the motor I wanted either.

A confused SS

Neil,

Nothing confusing about it - unless you get finance at less than your money can earn in the bank, you're on to a loser. And you're not going to get finance at cheaper than the bank saver rate, otherwise we'd all borrow money then put it on deposit! Simples. Don't fall for it. Depreciation will apply regardless of how you pay for the car so that's boll***ks too.

Those guys get huge incentives for selling finance deals.

If you want me to look over the numbery stuff, let me know, but cash will almost definately be the best way to buy the car

Car dealers can be horrific, Just make sure to read up on the model before you go. Never take finance from them and the number one thing to do if they get pushy or you find them insulting is walk away. They'll call back, also try going to other dealers and play them against each other.

and stay clear from gap insurance from dealers, you can nearly always get it cheaper from your insurance company if you really want it.