Sensible way to dispose of carcasses....

burntout

When dealing with shot rabbits I always threw the heads, feet, tails and fur in a well sealed (2 or 3 times) bag and put them in the bin. Not such a problem when there's only 5 being done but I was wondering what you guys do with the remains of a 150 bird pigeon shoot?

Whether you just breast them or pluck, gut and leave whole there is going to be a lot of spare bird left over so what is the best way to get rid of the the spares?

Unless for bait not a good option to feed a hunter on your ground :good:

we usually leave anything (crows, pigeon carcasses, etc) for the foxes. not many of the farmers i shoot for are of the "blast them all to kingdom come" type, theyre problems are usually rabbits or crows/pigeons, one even told us to leave the foxes as they were helping keep down the rabbits :blush:

Mine all go in bin bags the few i need for personal use , any excess birds go to the game dealer .

But on saying that a fox got at the bags with the carcasses in one night and the bin men refused to take them, a letter was put through the door saying they shouldnt be put in the bags, no information as to where they should be put, although i had a fair idea where i wanted to put them with the community charge i was paying.

What the difference is between a pigeon carcass of any other domestic consumable bird going in a bin bag is beyond me.

rabbits and pigeons we preper on the field then bait up the foxs for the lads with the rimfires they asked us to bait for them which helps us keep the foxs down and gets rid of our waste but if we not seen them lamping for a week or so we just feed them to the rats or put on 1 of the many tips we have around sayin all that we dont get to many and only use air rifles

• 5 weeks later...
we usually leave anything (crows, pigeon carcasses, etc) for the foxes. not many of the farmers i shoot for are of the "blast them all to kingdom come" type, theyre problems are usually rabbits or crows/pigeons, one even told us to leave the foxes as they were helping keep down the rabbits :hmm:

Same here... as the farm is arable and beef cattle he's not bothered about foxes. They can help keep the rabbits down as far as he's concerned. I did however, get told off for leaving the carcasses where his dogs could (and did) find them. Although my greyhound would eat an entire rabbit quite happily (fur, bones, teeth the lot), it seems his labs are of a more sensitive disposition and spent the rest of the day throwing up. My mate's black lab though never even looks at the guts, we can gut the bunnies right in front of her and she shows no inclination to eat them. She is a gun dog though rather than a family pet.

• 1 month later...
Mine all go in bin bags the few i need for personal use , any excess birds go to the game dealer .

But on saying that a fox got at the bags with the carcasses in one night and the bin men refused to take them, a letter was put through the door saying they shouldnt be put in the bags, no information as to where they should be put, although i had a fair idea where i wanted to put them with the community charge i was paying.

What the difference is between a pigeon carcass of any other domestic consumable bird going in a bin bag is beyond me.

freeze the carcasses beforehand, then put in the dustbin the morning before collection, that way they dont give off any smells to alert foxes or dustmen