Rhodesian ridgeback

wild dogman

Rhodesian ridgeback any one own one

do they make a good guard dog

looking for a dog breed thats not to demanding and layed back and not too yappy

it will get a good long free run every day and well fed

just need some thing that will guard the house and family when am not there

did some searching and Rhodesian ridgeback sounded like the one but would like to hear from owners PLEASE

I have had a few dogs before but no guard dog breeds

if youre looking a dog to keep an eye on the family and the house go for a rottweiler :D

theyre very laid back, dont need any grooming, are extremely loyal, and as for being yappy - the joke when i lived in the countryside was if i heard the ex's corgi yapping id go out and tell it to shut up, if i heard one of the rotties barking id lift a gun before i went (obviousley i was thinking it was dogs attacking the sheep... :unsure: )

apart from all that, i find the look of a rottweiler the most intimidating out of all dogs, its not why i bought them (before anyone starts) but the fact that the ex was robbed 6 weeks after i moved out and took the rottweilers with me says it all really - would you want to try to rob arnies house?? <_<

arnie.jpg

ps i dont advocate getting a dog solely to be a guard dog, however if you want a family pet that has the added bonus of keeping scum away, these are what you need :rolleyes:

Edited by babbyc1000

We've had a couple of Ridegbacks and they do make good guard dogs, although one of ours had a hair trigger and would bark at the slightest noise! I wouldn't have another one, though, as in my view they have been over-bred in recent years and a lot don't look right - either too heavy and barrel-chested or too slender and snipe-nosed. And some of the prices I've seen people asking for (£900+) are just ridiculous.

If you do go for a RR, remember that they are hounds and so will suffer from selective deafness!

When we got our wee cute Westie a few years ago, said dog and wife/daughter were dispatched to the local dog training classes. At these classes, my little Westie befriended a huge (to her and everyone else!!) Rhodesian Ridgeback and they became best pals.

They still see each other now and again! Imagine, a Westie and a RR being chums!!! RR was a lovely dog.

Edited by Glenshooter

not mine,

but visited a farm in SA , which had several, most were great guard dogs, barked at any non-whites (true statement not racial) , but one dog had been spoilt rotten treated as chilkds toy/doll, and was never out the house , always found it's way back in, usually found under the kitchen table.

I thought they were very loyal trustworthy dogs from my short experience.

M.

I know nothing about pigeons however I own a Ridgeback and have worked with the breed for 10+ years.

I have read some of the posted comments and many appear to be that of an opinionated minority!

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are not considered as barking dogs. They will bark to ward of strangers etc. Health issues, diet or lack of exercise would explain as to why a RR would bark more than what is typical within the breed.

I wouldn’t say the breed is over-bred in compassion to many other breeds. Much depends on the breeder and bloodlines. The problem is when you get ‘scum/chavs’ that know little about the breed wanting to make some money and not being responsible.

Rottweiler, German Shepherds, Staffordshire Bull terrier etc have all be heavily exploited in this way with ill control of breeding.

There are some RR that have a larger chest cavity, more pointed nose etc. This is all dependent on the bloodlines of the breeder.

I would say out of the RR I have come across in public a good 40% I would consider to be overweight, Do not get this breed of dog if you are a coach potato. Adult dogs need plenty of exercise at least twice daily. Without generalising too much this breed is far more suited to a rural than urban living.

Whilst not exercising they are very relaxed , lazy dogs that are aloof.

As a first dog I would not advice this breed nor if you have only owned small/toy breed dogs.

Expect to pay between £800-£1000 for a RR puppy. You should expect to have champion dogs with a five generation span for that price.

If you paying under £500 this may in some cases suggest a poor bloodline and someone just trying to cash in.! Always buy from a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders may refuse to sell their puppies as there is usually tight control on who they go too and who you can breed with.

People complain about the price of dogs but if you are too cheap to pay that amount then god knows what you expect to feed the dog. Cheap nutrition leads to ill dogs. Would recommend Orijen, Arden Grange or BARF diet to feed your RR..

Please go to several breeders and get an idea if this is the right breed for you.

Rottweiler is also a great dog with a wonderful temperament as a family dog that will protect your family. But again this breed has been exploited from a small bloodline stock.

I would recommend this site : http://www.ridgebacks.org.uk/ and this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhodesian-Ridgebac...9197&sr=8-1

I know nothing about pigeons however I own a Ridgeback and have worked with the breed for 10+ years.

I have read some of the posted comments and many appear to be that of an opinionated minority!

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are not considered as barking dogs. They will bark to ward of strangers etc. Health issues, diet or lack of exercise would explain as to why a RR would bark more than what is typical within the breed.

I wouldn’t say the breed is over-bred in compassion to many other breeds. Much depends on the breeder and bloodlines. The problem is when you get ‘scum/chavs’ that know little about the breed wanting to make some money and not being responsible.

Rottweiler, German Shepherds, Staffordshire Bull terrier etc have all be heavily exploited in this way with ill control of breeding.

There are some RR that have a larger chest cavity, more pointed nose etc. This is all dependent on the bloodlines of the breeder.

I would say out of the RR I have come across in public a good 40% I would consider to be overweight, Do not get this breed of dog if you are a coach potato. Adult dogs need plenty of exercise at least twice daily. Without generalising too much this breed is far more suited to a rural than urban living.

Whilst not exercising they are very relaxed , lazy dogs that are aloof.

As a first dog I would not advice this breed nor if you have only owned small/toy breed dogs.

Expect to pay between £800-£1000 for a RR puppy. You should expect to have champion dogs with a five generation span for that price.

If you paying under £500 this may in some cases suggest a poor bloodline and someone just trying to cash in.! Always buy from a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders may refuse to sell their puppies as there is usually tight control on who they go too and who you can breed with.

People complain about the price of dogs but if you are too cheap to pay that amount then god knows what you expect to feed the dog. Cheap nutrition leads to ill dogs. Would recommend Orijen, Arden Grange or BARF diet to feed your RR..

Please go to several breeders and get an idea if this is the right breed for you.

Rottweiler is also a great dog with a wonderful temperament as a family dog that will protect your family. But again this breed has been exploited from a small bloodline stock.

I would recommend this site : http://www.ridgebacks.org.uk/ and this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhodesian-Ridgebac...9197&sr=8-1

some great info there thanks for your time

I owned two RRs over a period of 15 years, and my comments were based on my experience - people can take or leave them, but they do not deserve to be dismissed as the views of an 'opinionated minority' just because my opinion doesn't accord with yours.

• 2 weeks later...

try a bull mastiff mate very loyal couragous dogs with a naturally protective/guarding instinct and yet a very loving family pet and can be used for gun dog best of all worlds mate.

or a couple of staffy's mate cheaper vets bills cheaper food bills and there nickname use to be the 'nanny dog' before they started getting miss treated by chavs and used for all the wrong reasons they are generally fantastic with kids despite what you hear in the news, they are one of the most affectionate loving loyal dogs you could want but they would die for you too, fast, agile and powerful

Rhodesian ridgeback any one own one

do they make a good guard dog

looking for a dog breed thats not to demanding and layed back and not too yappy

it will get a good long free run every day and well fed

just need some thing that will guard the house and family when am not there

did some searching and Rhodesian ridgeback sounded like the one but would like to hear from owners PLEASE

I have had a few dogs before but no guard dog breeds

Hi,

I've owned a few and they are not good guard dogs. However they are wonderful family pets with a very good docile nature in the house. Yes they are strong and full of energy when out exercising but as has been said before, when in the home they become lazy! Aggresive they are not. I've had more aggressive/barking spaniels!

try a bull mastiff mate very loyal couragous dogs with a naturally protective/guarding instinct and yet a very loving family pet and can be used for gun dog best of all worlds mate.

or a couple of staffy's mate cheaper vets bills cheaper food bills and there nickname use to be the 'nanny dog' before they started getting miss treated by chavs and used for all the wrong reasons they are generally fantastic with kids despite what you hear in the news, they are one of the most affectionate loving loyal dogs you could want but they would die for you too, fast, agile and powerful

yes you right about the staffs i like them but some of my mate have them and some are good guards but most are very very soft and never bark at strangers

will give the bull mastiff a look over

thanks

Edited by wild dogman

Hi,

I've owned a few and they are not good guard dogs. However they are wonderful family pets with a very good docile nature in the house. Yes they are strong and full of energy when out exercising but as has been said before, when in the home they become lazy! Aggresive they are not. I've had more aggressive/barking spaniels!

thanks for the advice i need to make shore i the pick right breed for me

yes you right about the staffs i like them but some of my mate have them and some are good guards but most are very very soft and never bark at to strangers

will give the bull mastiff a look over

thanks

mine never use to bark its amazing how easy staffies are to train with treats he only barks when someones actually at the house though, he sits at the window watching people and cats go past all day without barking but if they come through the gate then he reacts, we started it as a game with treats as rewards for doing it then fazed out the treats for just praise then fazed out the praise now he just knows he's doing what he should. there good dogs in general shame they get a bad press

either way hope you get sorted :yes: