Cartridge belt/box/bag or keep them in pocket?

MerseaDavid

If you use a cartridge belt it can ruin your stock as you tend to hold the gun at belt level and the top of the cartridges make nasty marks on it.

Best thing is a box of cartridges and big pockets.

Put half a box in your left pocket if your right handed and use them from there.

If you put them in your right pocket its a lot of extra weight to lift as you mount the gun.

The pockets should be quite high if rough shooting to stop the clanking of cartridges as you walk. :blink:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a game bag with two very large pouches each side easy holds 25 each side. thats more for walking about but if i know i may stop for a few more shots i'll take my camo rucksack with me with a couple of boxes extra!!

If i'm in the hide i will use the above game bag plus a case on the floor or 100 in the bucket i then use a ground bait tub small foldable one and empty two boxes in that easy access, just top up my pockets or game bag every now again!!

turk101

I find a cartridge belt is easier to load from not matter what shooting I am doing.

Dad has always used a cartridge belt since he first started shooting and so have I so I suppose we are just used to them.

I am using dad original belt that hold 26 and he is using a belt that holds 30.

Winter time I will have around 10-15 in my coat pocket along with my belt that I am wearing under my coat.

If you use a cartridge belt it can ruin your stock as you tend to hold the gun at belt level and the top of the cartridges make nasty marks on it.

Best thing is a box of cartridges and big pockets.

Put half a box in your left pocket if your right handed and use them from there.

If you put them in your right pocket its a lot of extra weight to lift as you mount the gun.

The pockets should be quite high if rough shooting to stop the clanking of cartridges as you walk. :blink:

I wear my cartridge belt underneath my coat and it doesn't cause damage. I have no marks on the stock caused by cartridges.

While i think a cartrige belt looks nice and is practical i dont use mine any more as i managed to damage the stock of my old miruku when walking as a back gun on a driven day !

I just put carts in my ight pocket and emptys in the left ! And to date have never used more than 40 carts unless out on the clays ! lol

It`s all done for safety and speed of loading.

If you put your cartridges under your coat it takes too long to reload when there is lots of birds about.

You need to treat it all like a pheasant flush really and be able to load very quickly.

Open the gun with your right hand while reaching into your pocket with your left hand and retrieving a pair of cartridges. Slip them into the gun at once, gun shut and mounted, and fire. The cartridge pocket needs to be gaping open wide, not tight.

I too keep a couple of big shot cartridges in my top left pocket for charlie.

is it? I'm sure you need something to carry full cartridges its just when empty you don't need to carry them.

personally I usually use pockets but do have a cartridge belt I use if we go lamping from a vehicle or just for a walk round. Easy to reload from and if you have a selection of loads it keeps them separate and accessible

I haven't used a cartridge belt for years, as I have marked stocks in the past and when the belt gets a little worn and you bend over, the cartridges can drop out.

There is also the problem that they only hold 25 cartridges.

Most "shooting" coats hold 25 in each pocket and I also take 100 to a hide in a separate bag and usually have another 250-500 in the truck.

There is no right or wrong in the answer to this question, its just a matter of personal choice based on need and experience.

As regards picking up empty cartridges, every shooter should take that responsibility seriously.

Its easy to drop spent cartridges into the hide when using a sbs or o/u and pick them up at the end of the day.

I even have a magnet on a cane when using my semis, to make sure I can get the empties from the thickest brambles, or (in my area) often out of the water filled ditches.

• 4 weeks later...

For pigeon shooting in the hide I have a seat, in my seat I use old "for sale" boards as sections separators - the middle one being boxes of carts. I fill a pocket as needed from the seat. If the day is warm, the jacket is over the seat so the pocket is just below me between my legs making loading very easy. After firing I pinch one cart and stuff it in another to halve the number of loose carts about. At the end of the day those get put in my green bag that hides the magnet battery during field use but available as a cart bag for clearing up purposes. :good: Works for me :(

A while ago in a similar topic, a member posted a link to a shop webpage (Shooting).....had a bit of a look round, & one page had a webbing belt, with three large pockets, two side ones & a back one, all three pocket were in camo pattern.

I thought I bookmarked the page but obviously haven't, does this jog any ones memory, if so could you PM the link please,

BJ.

I use one of these rucksacks.

They are brilliant, can carry deeks, cartridges, flask, seat, camo nets, certs or whatever. With nice wide straps they spread the load and make it quite easy to carry quite a load.

If I'm walking up then it is easy to carry just cartridges and any game that is shot.

I got mine from a Falconry stand at a game fair for £40.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee35/ge...et/rucksack.jpg

I found that the fastest reload came from a plastic looped cartridge belt back in my hammergun days(35 years approx). It is most unfortunate that this belt has shrunk and will no longer meet around my waist. Now moved up to a boxlock ejector I find that the deep pocket of a shooting jacket is best with a reserve in a cartridge bag to hand, just in case that magic hot barrel stand comes up.

Blackpowder.