Smoked Pigeon

Whitebridges

I managed to shoot a few woodies on Tuesday. I've "breasted" the birds and marinated them over night in a salt and sugar solution. They've just gone in the smoker ( a Luhr-Jensen Little Chief) and i'm using 1 pan of alder chips.

I thought I'd leave then in for about 2 and a half hours, then finish them off in the oven sprinkled with some bacon bits and honey.

Anyone tried smoking pigeon? Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

My brother told me the other day of a chat he had with someone selling smokers at a country fair. He was asked if he had a gas barbeque and said that he had.He was told the following:

Get some hardwood chips from B&Q or similar outlet.

Soak them in a bowl of water overnight.

Light just one burner on the barby and set it at its lowest.

Sprinkle some of the soaked chips around the OUTSIDE coals on the barby.Avoid putting any on the "hot" area as these will burn instead of smoke.

Place the pigeons at the extreme end away from the lit burner.

Put the lid down and leave for about 2 hours checking from time to time and adding a few more soaked chips.

The result is hot smoked pigeon. He tells me that the best results are from leaving the pigeon to cool and then placing them in a bowl. Cover with clingfilm and eat cold the next day. I tried some and they were very good.

He has also done this with pheasant and mackerel.You need to experiment and vary the smoking times, but it is a way to smoke things without the expense of buying a smoker. I think the woodchips cost about £3.

Dodger, Sounds an excellent way of doing 'em. I've done several batches since I posted. All I can say is that everyone who's tried it says its great. It is definately better when cold. I usually smoke the breasts for about 2 hours then finish then off in a pan of simmering stock for about 15 minutes. After they've cooled i slice them up and put them in the fridge.I can't see a long smoke like 8 hours you would use for beef jerky working on pigeon. Personally I don't like 'em too rare, although a lot of people eat 'em just sealed.

I was lucky to pick the smoker up in a sale. I paid fifty quid for it and it's been a good investment. Smoked trout is particularly good. We catch the odd Mackerel on the coast and they are excellent smoked.

Cheers.