Are 7 1/2's ok for pigeon shooting

The thing is i told the fella at the shop that any cartridge was ok as im trying some different ones out at the moment but he said what am i shooting i said pigeons but im sure he said "what clay pigeons" :good::good: :blink:

the cartridge he gave me was (eley first no7 1/2's, 28 gram)

Are these ok for pigeons ?

Edited by shawi72uk

For decoying in the summer you can get away with them for sure.

For decoying in the winter again you can probably get away with them again, you just have to be more disciplined at what distance you take the birds!

possibly 20-30 yards, should still drop them cleanly.

hope this helps.

turk101

If you center the pattern you'll kill the bird. My last (and current) flat of shells are D&J 7.5's, 28 g. I have no problems shooting them to 40 yards when I do my part. In fact, I just rolled a hare the other evening at 40 yards with the same carts. The pattern caught him from the ribs forward and he did a somersault while stone dead.

Thanks

Rick

hi shawi

i use 7.5. ely first for decoying pigeons , they are a tenner a slab cheeper and they work fine, as another post said you do need watch your distance 15- 25 yards is prob the max i like to go

spend some time on your hide and set up in the right possition and i don't think you should have a prob with these i choke my gun 1/4 AND 1/4..

myself and my shoot buddies ( the other two sell floaters?) have been using home loads with 7.5 shot admittedly a tad fast loads at that, but knock the pigeon down they do and at good distances :blink:

KW

Do yourself a favour and get some 6's or 7's between 28g and 32g for live pigeons (assuming you are using a 12 bore). Yes 7.5 shot will kill them but the IDEAL load has been tested, proven and recommended by BASC. All the leading cartridge manufacturers make a "pigeon" load, buy them. They have put in a lot of research and know what is fit for purpose.

Save the 7.5 shot for practicing on clay targets.

Edited by Whitebridges

In my opinion shooting Pigeons with 28g 7.5 clay cartridges is akin to shooting foxes with an HMR.....Yes it will kill them cleany IF you

keep the distance short and IF you hit it correctly.

Get some 6 or 6.5 30g/32g and do the job properly, we owe it to the pigeons.

hi shawi

i use 7.5. ely first for decoying pigeons , they are a tenner a slab cheeper and they work fine, as another post said you do need watch your distance 15- 25 yards is prob the max i like to go

spend some time on your hide and set up in the right possition and i don't think you should have a prob with these i choke my gun 1/4 AND 1/4..

Im the same I use 7 1/2 all the time for decoying, at the moment its Gamebores Kent velocity

but I love to use there Supersteels they are superb over decoys.

All my other shooting is done with Gamebore Wildgame 6 shot

Alan

put the shot in the rite place mate, thats your first job, then get a no6 shot 32g cartridge and cut it open, then get a no7 and a half size shot 28g cartridge cut that open and see hom miniscule the size is, then weigh out the extra 4g and see how miniscule that is, for the differance in price i would stick to the clay loads to start with and like i say get the shot in the right place, now for the daft bit, i use eley vips no6 shot size 32g for pigeons, but have also shot just as well and as bad with hull comp x clay loads.

lee

If your gun patterns them well you would be ok.

if have tried all this ,trying to save the odd pound or two on cartridges.

But i always end up going back to clear pigeon 32grms.(gamebore)

I did find that clay loads were fine ,when decoying for the first shot.

But i was not getting them at more the 35-40yrds.(which i can with clear pigeon on 3/4)

I shoot what kills clean its only fair!

cheers scott

First time I went pigeon shooting I only had 7.5 28g Gamebore White gold XLR carts and they certainleydid the trick. Each and every pigeon that I hit was stone dead prior to hitting the floor.

Saying that though I am still getting some size 6 in 32's for next time round.

ATB

Mick

they will be fina as long as you don't stretch the distance too far, your pattern will have a lot more shot so you gain from the number of pellets hitting the bird. Ok they won't retain energy as well as 6's which is why you limit the distance. I've used them on partridges and pigeons and they do kill well if you do your part.

Obviously for longer shots or in woodland etc the 6's will work better but then you could using the same logic say go up to 1's or BB's as they will work even better and at longer ranges

Do yourself a favour and get some 6's or 7's between 28g and 32g for live pigeons (assuming you are using a 12 bore). Yes 7.5 shot will kill them but the IDEAL load has been tested, proven and recommended by BASC. All the leading cartridge manufacturers make a "pigeon" load, buy them. They have put in a lot of research and know what is fit for purpose.

Save the 7.5 shot for practicing on clay targets.

Hi, with you all the way, but what is the IDEAL load that has been, etc, etc by the BASC. It's just that I've never heard of it.

Cheers

7.5s will kill pigeons , but they are not realy up to the job. I was given a case a few years ago and i found that anything I hit closer that 20 yards had so many pellet holes in them that the meat was no good for eating and any shots beyond 40 yards usualy resulted in a wounded bird. The gun i used had improved cylinder chokes.