Out with mySaker....

Saker Clive

Just been out with my Saker, very little wind but good warmth so she managed to get up on the thermals.I put her up twice and both cracking flights for 2 totally different reasons.

Her first flight lasted about 25 minutes and after a slowish start she soon found an uplift and probably got about 1800 feet when she was joined by a local male Pere.........................he began to put in on her and it looked like he hit her a couple of times but unlike in the past where she would come straight in, she stayed with him and began a 'dogfight' of sorts with it!! I watched with my binos and could see him stooping in then she would roll over and they began crabbing; he was almost half her size and evertime they released each other he would pull up then come in again. Both birds were calling/screaming at each other and then I noticed a group of onlooker all watching from the hill. This went on for about 4 minutes and he wasn't making any impact on her; I on the other hand was begining to brick it as I was also scanning the sky for Mrs. P to join the mele!!! As soon as he appeared he flew off over towards the east and Zarbu carried on soaring about like she owned the place I wanted to get her down and get her checked over just incase and I called to her as she was virtually overhead and she dropped like a stone and people said they could here the wind from her stoop that were 70 yards away. I gave her the lure and couldn't see any blood and damage on her and she seemed eager to go up again.

I threw a leg for her to get her away while I loaded up the lure with a whole chick so she knew she would get another good reward and off she went. As she began to climb, 2 powered hang gliders came across from west to east and they must have had a good close up of her as she ringed up infront of them while they were passing. This time I began to 'worry' for a different reason; she just went up and up over the Marina and the coast. She went up that much I could only just make her out with 4 gulls all just soaring around with my binos. I managed to get 1 picture but unless you can zoom in on it (feel free to copy and paste it) and see, but she carried on much higher and I left her for 20 minutes then called her in..............................not that she could hear me!! I threw the lure out and scanned the sky but she had gone up through the clouds and totally out of view. I then threw the lure out and waited........................another few minutes passed so I switched on the receiver and had a strong signal so I knew she was up there and within a mile radius but wasn't too sure where abouts!!! I began to slowly walk along the bank dragging the lure and within 50 yards I heard her coming in and she hit the brakes and landed on the pad. I got her up on the glove and re-equipped her then gave her another 2 chicks. 4 chicks in all today and she weighed 1lb. 14 3/4oz.

post-18592-1255537752.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Saker was the first bird of prey I ever had the fortune to get up close and personal with when I was a young lad,I have never forgotten just how beautiful and magical she looked as a 12 year old boy I was fascinated,so much so that my daughter is called Ruby Saker Storm,

I have promised myself I would get a bird when the time was right but at the moment I am a full time dad/rural pest controller so I wouldn't have the time ,but one day I shall have a bird of my own and then I to can share in the magic and reward of owning and flying a bird.

Fantastic pictures by the way,love the one of the eagle owl sat on someone's back its great

As stated earlier in the replies to this post keep those pictures coming I never get bored at looking at birds of prey.

All the best 410 phil

Thanks guys; the Eagle owl is a rescue bird I got a little over a year ago. She has had 4 owners and I think that the first one had done some real work with her but the other 3 obviously haven't done anything!! the guy I got her from said that she was vicious!!! i went into her enclosure, and he said that she wouldn't stand on the glove................................................I had to grab her by the legs then put some equipment on her, then I put her on the fist and there she stood and allowed me to stroke her!!!!!

The picture of her is standing on my then 12 year old son. She has no real malice and is very gentle compared to the male I have (again another rescue). I can have her stand on my bare hand and she doesn't grip hard unlike George the male that grips like a vice.

i am hoping to get her flying this seasonwhich unlike the hawks or falcons, is no easy task especially as I don't know the real history!!!

Oh.......there is no such thing as a wise old owl!! they are pretty thick really :look: in a cute kind of way :look: