Out with mySaker....

Saker Clive

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all this 'lovely weather' we're having, I've probably only managed to get out and fly the Saker or Harris about 3 times in the last 2 weeks!

The strong winds are no problem as both birds are pretty fit and on Friday we managed to get out for about an hour inbetween the rain bursts.

To the south of us and about 3/4 of a mile out to sea, I could see the rain pouring down, while to the north there was almost clear blue sky but also a 30mph. south westerly. I managed to get a few pics of the Saker and a rainbow.......................nothing crisp and clear but enough to see.......

Nov27tha.jpg

Nov27th.jpg

Nov27thc.jpg

Nov27thb.jpg

Met up with an old mate who loves longwings and we set out with the Saker. There was a good 25mph wind and I was hoping for some cracking flights today.

Her first flight was pretty much in her usual way, and after 15 minutes I called her in from a good 3/4 mile out.

as she took off for her 2nd. flight, she stayed low and I said that she was going to head for the dew pond. Every year at this time around Christmas she decides to take a bath in dirty muddy puddles!!!!! Today was no bloody exception.................she landed on the edge of the dew pond but I jogged down to her to get her away. I took a picture of her on the post before she flew another 200 yards and landed in the little corral and straight in the puddle. We had to go around the long way to get to her so by the time we reached her she'd finished and was sitting on the fence dripping wet!!!!!

06-12-0dcbath.jpg

06-12-09cbath.jpg

06-12-09bbath.jpg

06-12-09bath.jpg

needless to say that our session was brought to an early close............bitch!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

24/01/'10

I took Zarbu out today and she had a ball! Me on the other hand was chasing her all over the ruddy place.

She started off well, then decided to land and take a paddle in one of the big puddles........................................... ....I ran the 300 yards to get to her and she was standing right up with her legs totally submerged (as was the FE fmv transmitter). As I got nearer, she took off and went another few hundred yards and sat on the gate to dry off a little. A crow came over and bombed her, then she went off chasing it before being joined by another 5 of them. She went down again on the upper level and found an even bigger puddle..........

2010_0124playtime0012.jpg

2010_0124playtime0003.jpg

I made my way up to see her on the edge of the plunge pool and she made off again. She carried on up towards the top of the road when she was again joined by the crows. This time they were all heading back in my direction and then carried on down and over the Marina before ringing up and staying over the lower end of Roedean. Then I saw her stoop and lost sight of her. A few minutes passed and nothing, so I checked the receiver and realised she was down and sitting. I scanned the area but couldn't see her, so I went for a walk over towards the hill to take another reading just to get a pin point of where she was. As I made my way down and along the hill, I saw a number of crows bombing a bush and checked the receiver. As I thought, Zarbu was obviously down there and whistled to her. A short time later she took flight and I hoped she was on her way back to the lure........................................wrong, she seemed to be loving it, and roused on the wing a good 6 times whilst ringing up. She came up over me and totally ignored me and carried on back towards the top of the road again!

2010_0124playtime0020.jpg

2010_0124playtime0015.jpg

She carried on ringing up and stooping for another 20 minutes before decideing to come back in and getting re-equipped.

We then had a long walk back to the car and home....................

2010_0124playtime0007.jpg

2010_0124playtime0006.jpg

2010_0124playtime0027.jpg

2010_0124playtime0030.jpg

Edited by Saker Clive

Met up with my good old mate Bash and we took Zarbu out today over my National Trust land; I took the FinePix s6500fd and Bash had his HD camcorder.

Well, the first 15 minutes, my little darling wouldn't do squat, and litterally jumped from post to post a few times, then sat and waited until half a dozen crows came over and began to 'play'. We both carried on walking as our 'summit' is about a mile awayand 200+meters high. As we got half way, she did get up and she had a great time chasing and winding up the crows. I called her in after about 15 minutes and gave her the lure, then as usual, I threw a leg away for her so that I could get the lure re-loaded. Zarb had other ideas and flew back towards me wanting the head I was trying to place on the lure; after a few stoops at me I said to Bash that this is the time I should try and get some pics...........................so without really aiming and viewing the shot, I simply pointed and kept shooting.................................

Met up with my good old mate Bash and we took Zarbu out today over my National Trust land; I took the FinePix s6500fd and Bash had his HD camcorder.

Well, the first 15 minutes, my little darling wouldn't do squat, and litterally jumped from post to post a few times, then sat and waited until half a dozen crows came over and began to 'play'. We both carried on walking as our 'summit' is about a mile awayand 200+meters high. As we got half way, she did get up and she had a great time chasing and winding up the crows. I called her in after about 15 minutes and gave her the lure, then as usual, I threw a leg away for her so that I could get the lure re-loaded. Zarb had other ideas and flew back towards me wanting the head I was trying to place on the lure; after a few stoops at me I said to Bash that this is the time I should try and get some pics...........................so without really aiming and viewing the shot, I simply pointed and kept shooting.................................

2010_0131Zarbu0016.jpg

2010_0131Zarbu0017.jpg

2010_0131Zarbu0018.jpg

2010_0131Zarbu0019.jpg

2010_0131Zarbu0020.jpg

2010_0131Zarbu0015.jpg

2010_0131Zarbu0005.jpg

and some video that my mate shot..................................

Edited by Saker Clive

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anything upto and including fox if flown in pairs.

Not been on for a while as my pc. has been locked up by Microsoft.......trying to pull a fast one claiming the disk I brought from a Microsoft re-seller is a copy!!! They just expect me to pay them yet another £46 so they can give me a new product key, then in 18 months time do the same again geting it sorted out privately :)

what would you be ables to hunt with the eagle owls??

It's a falicy that they will keep them away! If wild, then they would 'if' hungry enough begin to take out what ever raptors are in the area but in captivity they wont. You would need to keep it free in the garden all the time which in itself would be wrong as it would soon get bored and go after someones cat or small dog or even your pigeons as it would think you've left a running buffet for it!!!!

i was thinking of getting one to hunt also to keep sparrow hawks and perigrins away from my garden (i race pigeons)