.22LR Ammo

Fisherman Mike

Ive been using Winchester 40gr Hollow Point subs with my LR,s when Rabbiting

Ive always found them very good. with not much varyng performance when used with either of my LR's. A friend suggested I tried the Ely cartridge which he reckons is better.

I dont want to change for change sake ! as my motto is " if it aint broke dont fix it"

Also what do you rekon is the optimum range of your .22lr/cartridge combination on rabbits.

Thanks,

FM.

I use the CCI velocitor in my 10/22. It works really well. I have recently been using my 17HMR

The little V max ammo is awesome. Large orange size exit wound is the down side if you want the meat. 17HMR taking rabbits out at 150m

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

Fisherman Mike:

Good question I have been thinking the same. One BIG thing to consider is the type of guc you are using. I use a .22lr Ruger 77/22 AW. the Winchester susb seem to do OK albeit if you take one out of the chamber (if not shooting it) it seems to mark the lead a little. I also use Winchester Lazers which as Frank said a lethal combination. I have taken shot out to 110 yrds plus.

CCI stinger are **** in my gun. Hard to get the bolt into place and hard to get the empty shell out.

I also struggled with tight CCI subs. Have used Winchester subs with no problems, but found that the Eley subs grouped better when tested on paper targets, but cant say that I noticed any difference in practice. I now stick with the Eley.

webber

What are you Eley guys using hollow points or round noses??

What is the Pros + Cons of both??

Any of you shooting Rugers, 77/22 with these rounds??

Big Dog

In my Ruger 10/22 I operate with 2 mags one Eley Hollow point for around 60yds and i use the other with Eley STD for longer distance as the seem to group better but no doubt will exit the quarry at shorter ranges ,but this is based only on my ability the gun and this ammo :D :(

Cheers Ive ???

Thanks Guys

deadeye ive

I'm sure you know this but just incase. I also use 2 mags(subs & lazers) Its great, it give you 2 secondary zero points. Recently I had trouble with a mag (Ruger .22lr) I had just bought a new one.

It was sticking. My dealer ask me if I kept one in my pocket. Yes I did. He said never to do that as the dust caused them to stick. I'm sure ever shooter except me knows that but hey, hopefully someone else out there is an asssssssssssss ???

Ps. As it turned out it wasn't dirt, the new one was just a bit tight. I loosened the centre screw and happy dayssssssssss :D

If it's the ruger rotary mag big dog undo the allen key at the end and give the main body 1 maybe 2 more full turns ( although the manual say other wise).It's the cartrige deposit(when fired) that i think causes the problems and not dirt in your pocket

Not teaching you how to suck eggs but i blow inside and tap my rotary mag before i reload with 10 further bullets and i find this makes alot of difference especially on the target range

:o :o

Cheers ive

never used anything in my cz 452 heavy barrel other than eley standards, puts one shot on the other cant complain, dont care about expansion as its not an issue with a head shot, which is all you really take with the rimfire.

i tried several different brands through my dads weihrauch hj60 and found it liked eley, and cci, however if you shot cci, and then tried anything else the copper fouling destroyed the groups, so they got pushed to the back of the safe, and now both rimfires in the house run on eley.

max range, 100 if you can be that accurate, mine is zero'd at 75, which i consider to be where the rimfire falls victim to wind too much.

anyone ever tried a 22cb cap ?