HOW MUCH CHOKE ?

AJAX

can anyone please explain to the new boy how to go about selecting the right chokes for my silver pigeon 3 ? I've got access to a lot of rough shooting with everything from pigeon to foxes and a particularly high number of rabbits that I've been asked to thin out. also is number 6 shot ok for most things ?

Ajax,

I'd also say put a set of chokes in that suit and then leave them, don't second guess yourself and think chokes could be your problem lots of people start changing chokes when they don't seem to be hitting stuff, but if you ae within range and have the gun pointing in the right place, i.e enough lead and keep swinging you will hit the intended target.

Good Point there!, i think alot of shotgun shooting is Psychological. When you loose confidence in your shooting and start to question yourself everyshot you always miss.

If i start shooting clays bad, i try to think to much about how im going wrong, this just makes things worse. Then if im out shooting for live quarry, i rarely miss... You dont get time to question yourself or how you are shooting, this regularly ends up with a kill.

Choke only really allows you to have a more potent killing power at longer range, as plexer said before, if youre shooting in the right place its gonna drop no matter what the choke.

Fisherman Mike, when you say BB's for foxes, what do you consider to be maximum range ? and would full choke be a sensible choice specifically for foxes ?

I've been knocking them down pretty well at 15 to 20 yards around my chicken and peacock aviarys with no 5 shot but its not that easy getting that close.

I have taken foxes at 60 yards with 3/4 choke using Lyalvale Magnum Max Game 53g cartridges. They give a hell of a kick (beware if firing from the prone position!!!) but throw out a heck of a lot of lead. I think they are the best for foxes at long (for a shotgun) range.

Badsworth

Most good heavy goose loads will work well on foxes. I've used winchester xx 3.5" no2 shot with a 63g load in both 12g and 10g. I've yet to try my homeloads of 50g Hevishot 2's doing 1350fps, I've got a feeling they'll work well. ???

I personally prefer to keep all shots sub 50 yards when using the shotgun on foxes.

Mark.

Guest Mr Pieman

I recently shot pigeons with 32g No.6 shot through skeet chokes!! The birds were dropping in from behind me and were so close the normal choke set up of 1/2 and 3/4 was destroying the birds! It left no useable meat and seemed a bit of a waste.

The skeet chokes meant less lead per bird and, as they were very close anyway, they didn't escape - too often!!!

PP

Fisherman Mike, when you say BB's for foxes, what do you consider to be maximum range ? and would full choke be a sensible choice specifically for foxes ?

I've been knocking them down pretty well at 15 to 20 yards around my chicken and peacock aviarys with no 5 shot but its not that easy getting that close.

I think you misread my post. on the 12g I use 1/2 choke.

I have never shot a fox at more than 30 yards with a shotty and BB,s

5,s will take them down at 20 to 25 but the tighter the choke the better if you can assure an accurate shot.

I would say 40 would be optimum even for BB,s and even then not ideal.

Cheers.

FM.

6 shot Game Rabbit Pigeons

1 shot BB and SG for Foxes and as much choke as you can get (FULL)

7.5 and smaller for clays

1/4 and 1/2 is a good combo for most requests

I like to use 1/2 ans 3/4 for most types of shooting as it gives me a little more confidence in longer shots and makes you a better shooter over the years using more choke that is what all the top shooters say.

I use Skeet and 1/4 with 8s for clays

1/2 + 1/2 6 32g for pigeon or crows and begining of season pheasants

1/2 + 1/2 5 32g for rabbits, hare, duck, end of season pheasants and even droped charlie with

No 4 for goose

BB for charlie

Not a great deal escapes that once they are in range. good luck with what ever you go for.

Dave

I was wondering if that load would be too much?

I will be shooting for pest control on a fishery (although i would like to preserve as much meat as possible),

i do not know the ranges that i will take them so i was hoping you could tell me the optimum range for each choke (i have a M/C)

i know this is asking alot but i have not shot geese before so i have no idea.

Thanks

HG

HG,

I don't think you can buy that size of load, I make my own. If I were you I would buy some of the HV (1550fps) Remington steel in BB's from John Forseys and use a half choke. You can only go tighter than half if you buy special aftermarket chokes like Terror and Patternmaster. I have .700 and .675 Terrors and they pattern HeviShot and steel very well.

Mark.

HG,

I'm afraid these are not HeviShot they are lead and you can't use them for Wildfowl unless you are shooting inland in Scotland. The chokes will be ok, It is a rule of thumb not to use steel through anything more than 1/2 but these chokes are ok.

250 HeviShot in that load would cost you about £700.

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON