New recoil pad

dazlindazza

Hello everyone!

Some advice please!

I recently put a thicker recoil pad on my lanber, purely because I was finding I was getting battered by the recoil, and the couple of times I have had the chance to get to the clay ground since, my scores have absolutely plummeted!

I am convinced that the extra 1cm or so thickness in the recoil pad I fitted has somehow put me slightly off my shooting as I missing the easiest of shots. Also, something about the gun doesn't feel right, although I cant put my finger exactly on what it is, so have re-installed my old pad ready for the next time to put my theory to the test.

For all you experts out there, can you please tell me whether the extra 1cm in length is enough to put me off my shooting? I would also be gratefull for any suggestions on how to rectify the recoil problem with the least detriment to my shooting (as i'm **** enough as it is)

I suppose I could cut the extra 1cm of the stock, but I'm a bit too scared to do that because if i find I dont like it or muck it up, then there's not much I can do about it, and people have suggested I use 24g loads but I would rather stick with my 28g eley first, as I need all the help I can get so more lead can only be good!

Cheers

Yes it can make a difference to your shooting.

Making the gun longer can make your shooting change.

When you mount the gun does it come straight up and not catch on anything?

Do you notice any differences to your mounting of the gun compared to before you put the pad on? (are u now seeing more of the rib of the gun or less of it)

When I had my recoil pad fitted the guy who did it cut the thickness of the pad off my stock and I had no problems, but on one of my other guns where we just put the recoil pad on the end of the stock without taking anything off the stock I found the gun was not mounting right and I was not hitting the birds like I was before.

I now have a full recoil reducer on my Beretta that the gunsmith I use makes himself and it works great :lol:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I would say that with the thicker pad on, I see more of the rib, but the main thing that I seem to notice, is that my original pad is smooth so it kinda slides into position on my shoulder nice and easy, but the new one is rubber, so it doesn't slide into position easy, just kind of get stuck on my clothing and I have to spend an extra few seconds adjusting.

I'm hoping to find a pad similar to the new one I put on there, but the same thickness as the original. ( the original is just a solid plastic thing, but the new one was has a kinda honeycombe centre to absorb the recoil )

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I would say that with the thicker pad on, I see more of the rib, but the main thing that I seem to notice, is that my original pad is smooth so it kinda slides into position on my shoulder nice and easy, but the new one is rubber, so it doesn't slide into position easy, just kind of get stuck on my clothing and I have to spend an extra few seconds adjusting.

I'm hoping to find a pad similar to the new one I put on there, but the same thickness as the original. ( the original is just a solid plastic thing, but the new one was has a kinda honeycombe centre to absorb the recoil )

Cheers

add a bit of clear shoe polish to the pad to stop it sticking. !

I tried a butt-pad once as when I mounted it, it felt much better. However, When on the clays I wasn't hitting much, and after a while thought that maybe the butt-pad was casuing the problem, despite the better feeling.

After taking it off, the clays started breaking again :good: I couldn't understand why, as I could see the same amount of rib and it wasn't getting caught on my clothes etc. So now I stick to what I'm used to. :good:

Me and dad both use KICK-EEZ pads on our Beretta's that a local ginsmith supply's and fits and these work well and the come in different thickness's.

His Name is Jim Spalding Tel/Fax (01206) 382477

He could either send one to you or if you wanted it fitted you could send ur stock to him and he will fit it for you.