best 4x4

shot shot

rite guys, the time for a change of car is needed (my mum's). Currently she is driving a '99 Freelander 1.9 Diesel manual. It's starting to show its age, as it's used as both a family car and for towing horses around. Factoring in what we should get for the Freelander (1.5 ish) we should have about 4.5 k to spend.

Right, onto the requirements.

First and foremost, it has to be capable to tow. So a a torqie diesel engine is a must. Has to be manual, and good road handling (relatively) would be nice. A fair amount of off road work is done, nothing serious, but alot of towing horseboxes out of muddy fields.

Now, my parents have got it into their heads that a nissan x trail would be far superior to the Landy <_<

And they've been told by someone that the new freelander is rubbish, again :yes:

but we've been recommended a Shogun. Now, I know they get a bit of a ***** reputation, but it doesn't really matter round here. Am I right in thinking that all of the shoguns have the low range boxes? what about engines, what should we be looking for?

last point, as I know lots of you on here have them, are there any issues to look out for? (clutch, rust, etc.)

Thanks in advance :hmm:

disco 2 :yes:

from what I've read, the basic model with the best engine you can afford is the one to get? all those electric gadgets are bound to go wrong at some point

I forgot to mention, the Freelander is the basic model, so theres basically nothing to go wrong with it (except for the oil pipe that sprung a leak 2 days ago) <_<

if they're thinking shogun point them at an L200 a lot of the same gear and 4.5K should buy you a tidy one. Cheap road tax and tow a horse trailer with no problems at all. Chuck a set of BFG all terrain tyres on it and you'll get out of most fields. Plus all the dirty horse gear can live in the back which is a real bonus where horsey girls are concerned