zeroing query

shoot57

while zeroing my rifle in this afternoon i fired 8 shots at a 70mm circle at 150yds with strange results , 2 shots hit at 12o,clock inside the circle, 2 hit at 6o,clock inside the circle, 2 at 9o,clock just outside and 2 at 7o,clock just outside, each pair 10mm apart, could anybody tell me the reason for this or if it has happened to you, the gun is about two months old and i have noticed this before....tikka t3 varmint, 20in heavy barrel in 243, wildcat moderator, 55gn blitzking homeloaded 3700fps, any suggestions appreciated

Sounds like it's your scope if you are getting such a big variation. Check rings and mounts are tight, then use a bench-rest set up and see if it still does it. If it does, try factory ammo. If it's still doing it the scope must be playing up and it's time for a trip to the toyshop.

ft

Harnser s reply is the only answer you really need.

either bad ammo ,or you are pulling at the trigger (no offense/we all do it some times)

check its all tight and have another go.

i would also try it with shop loads (this will tell you if its the reloading thats at fault)

also reduce the range to start with.

good luck

scott

i had this problem once and someone told me to lighten the trigger, which i did and believe it or not it worked, i would also try zeroing at 100yds to start with.

Yep, as your rifle is new and unless you've not already tweaked it, the trigger (assuming it's the same as my varmint 223 T3) is factory set at 3lbs (again assuming you haven't got the set trigger version). This is easily adjustable, just follow what it says in the hand-book.

good luck

thanks for the replies all, the scope has slipped in the mounts it has moved forward or the rings have moved rearwards maybe just not tight enough so took the scope off and re assembled it and tightened the (leupold)rings as tight as i dare and it shoots fine now, yes i have adjusted the trigger to a 1kg pull, this is the first centre fire rifle Ive had that does not have a set trigger (i am a fan of set triggers) so maybe its a matter of getting used to it.....again thanks