An afternoon chucking fluff.....

Supersonic

Hi

I had a lovely afternoon yesterday at John 'o' Gaunts Fisherie at Kings Somborne, the chap that was running it (Ken) was really helpful and friendly. The only downside was the long track from the main road, regular visits would really knacker your car, fine for 4x4 but not for your average car.

Caught 2 beauties which I gave to the Landlord of my local in return for dinner and a couple of pints.

£21 for a 2 fish ticket.

photo.jpg

Nice looking fish. I haven't fly fished before but have just done a deal and got some kit. There's a small pond just down the road from me that I can practice on - £5 catch and release, £10 for two keepers. I took a look earlier this week and it seems to be a popular place - no wonder at that price - so I'll get down there as soon as I can and be ready for next season hopefully.

Anyway, I've been swatting up as much as I can and feel reasonably confident that I can set up a fly line with one exception. I'm unsure about the length of tippet to use at the end of the poly leaders I have. I've got Airflo 5ft trout polyleaders, and have that attached to a floating fly line which, in turn, is attached to the backing. I will be using a 9ft #7/8 rod.

How long should I make the tippet? Or do I just experiment? I'm guessing the shorter the whole leader section is, the easier it will be for a beginner like me?

Lastly, do you guys have any recommended web sites or forums I can take a look at?

The short answer for the tippet would be as long as you can turn over.

3ft would be as short as I would go on the end of that, but if you can manage 4 or 5ft go for it.

Start with it longer and it if isn't working just snip some off.

Flyforums can provide a wealth of information, and isn't a bad place if you can put up with the new look of the site and half a million sections :good: