Oops, hit a verge!

garyb

Chaps...

Had to take evasive action in a country lane earlier... which meant hitting a large verge on the nearside in the process

Ever since, the car won’t go straight unless the wheel is turned nearly a 1/4 to the right.

Other things of note...

1 - The steering feels fine! no wobble or noises even up to 70mph

2 - There is no visible movement of the wheel in the arch, it seems to sit about the same place as it did before

3 - With the steering wheel turned to the right a tad, to make the car go straight - the wheels appear to both be true and ok....

4 - The car doesn’t pull, even under braking.

Idea's / options of where to start?

bent a track rod would be my guess, I would suggest checking it out but bearing in mind the vehicle if it drives straight and true with no wheel wobble I'd suggest undoing the nut that holds the steering wheel on and moving it slightly so it points straight :good::lol:

either that or live with it.

Id put my money on suspension damper been bent. The tracking will be 100% out also castor and camber angles. You will need a steering geometry too be 100% sure. 1/4 of a turn out is loads and loads you could ov slightly twisted the front sub-frame if it has one how fast were you going.

Chaps...

Had to take evasive action in a country lane earlier... which meant hitting a large verge on the nearside in the process

Ever since, the car won’t go straight unless the wheel is turned nearly a 1/4 to the right.

Other things of note...

1 - The steering feels fine! no wobble or noises even up to 70mph

2 - There is no visible movement of the wheel in the arch, it seems to sit about the same place as it did before

3 - With the steering wheel turned to the right a tad, to make the car go straight - the wheels appear to both be true and ok....

4 - The car doesn’t pull, even under braking.

Idea's / options of where to start?

Going to have to Jump on you all now ,

Depends what you were driving at the time , best bet is get it to a Competant Mechanic Right away !!!

Bent track rod ? Yes if the car is 30 years old or a landrover (then its more likley a droparm or draglink )

any way i could give you 101 names of bits you may have bent ,

The long and short is dip in your pocket and get a Trained eye to look at it

You could be a Danger to yourself and other road users , might even be breaking the leware

Wabbit

PS by a trained eye i dont mean your local tyre "Fitter"

its a 4x4 wabbitbosher start your list now I want 101 things it could be before tea :good::lol:

if its driving straight with no clunks etc then odds are its ok and you've knocked part of the alignment out, steering components are made of metal that tends to bend rather than break for the simple reason that otherwise it would be dangerous if you could snap a component and not be able to steer at all. Its a 4x4 with chunky tyres and its not blown one out so says it didn't hit that hard. If you wanted to get it in somewhere and get it jigged every time you hit a kerb thats one thing but on a 4x4 with little value its not really worth it. And before you give the life or death argument I'm sure Gary is sensible enough to not drive it were it to feel any worse.

its a 4x4 wabbitbosher start your list now I want 101 things it could be before tea :good::lol:

if its driving straight with no clunks etc then odds are its ok and you've knocked part of the alignment out, steering components are made of metal that tends to bend rather than break for the simple reason that otherwise it would be dangerous if you could snap a component and not be able to steer at all. Its a 4x4 with chunky tyres and its not blown one out so says it didn't hit that hard. If you wanted to get it in somewhere and get it jigged every time you hit a kerb thats one thing but on a 4x4 with little value its not really worth it. And before you give the life or death argument I'm sure Gary is sensible enough to not drive it were it to feel any worse.

And ive Never seen a Track rod end pop off after a slight bump ! or a drag link bend up on a landrover only to snap two days later

"Ere grandma you dont want to suck eggs like that"

WB

The other night out foxing was like having Jenson Button at the wheel, how can you make a silent approach while doing 30 mph across a bumpy stubble field :good:

SS

:lol: :lol: :no: :no:

Sounds like the lad that drives mine at times.

'let's go nice and steady with as little noise as possible...'

'No worries....' *accelerator floored* :lol:

All sorted :yes:

Took the truck down to the local tracking / geometry place - They confirmed that nothing had been bent and we're able to adjust it all back to normal!

Before

ff4dc7b2ec993d87272c4fa3f798b966.JPG

After

879f771ea5b283be1f9adc4eb3c2f3b9.JPG

Change out of £40 and the Steering feels better than ever... Chuffed :huh: