which gun to but

shawn9914

hi all i am in the market for a new 12g i have a budget of around £1200 to spend which gun would you buy for pigeon shooting.

also can you recommend anywhere i can try out before hand who will tell me if the gun fits properly and is suited to me

cheers shawn

Try Garlands near Edingdale Tamworth,no doubt you've already heard of it being from Burton

Bought my Miroku MK 70 GRD 1 from there Cost £895 new and i was able to try the gun out on the shooting ground there first.Use this gun for everything ,Pigeon ,Skeet and English Sporting ETC which is something you should bear in mind

Reccomend .......Over /Under c/w Multi-chokes.They'll offer advice there on what length barrels

For £1200 Shawn your in the price range for a nice Beretta possibly a silver pigeon but it won't make you shoot any better ,you'll probably get more enjoyment from cleaning it :D

In my opinion for the price the build quality of the Miroku's take some beating.

PS garlands phone no 01827 383300

Cheers Ive ???

mirokus are japanese made. part of the BMW group (Browning/Miroku/Winchester). they are quality guns and are VERY similar to brownings. i would say buy new rather than secondhand, resale value is all well and good, but if you buy a gun that fits and you shoot well with it - why would you want to sell it? you have peace of mind with a new gun, brownings, mirokus and berettas are going to work well out of the box and if by a rare chance they dont ,youl have a warranty for it ???

deadeye ive

do you know if garlands would take my midland 502 in part exchange plus cash for a better gun

shawn

Shawn

They do part exchange on guns ,have a good selection and are only 25mins away so what have you got to loose. :D

For what it's worth buy new ,where mirokus are concerned the difference between a GRD 1 and 5 is cosmetic as the action (important bit) is the same build quality .The warranty on my GRD 1 is 3 yrs for the action and 10 yrs for the materials, GRD 1 cost £900 whereas a GRD 5 can cost up to and beyond £1700 ,basically your paying for better engraving and more appealing Walnut for the stock and forend.

Nothing wrong with semi auto's but if you intend to get into shooting clays (and i think you will )go for a O/U with muti-chokes as you have the option for a tighter choke for your second barrel when that clay or pigeon is some distance away :(

cheers Ive ???

The advantage of the over and under is you can shoot anything with it, it is as good as a side by side on game and acceptable on a driven shoot. As good as an auto on clays but preferd becuse it is more obviousely save. and ideal for rough or walked up shooting.

Those semi fans dont get me wrong I dont have anything against them but some do. On the shoot I am on you are not allowed on with one for instance.

Dave

Those semi fans dont get me wrong I dont have anything against them but some do. On the shoot I am on you are not allowed on with one for instance.

Dave

This is true shawn ,most people don't like to see them on clay shooting grounds as you're reliant on the owner knowing what he is doing when these guns are concerned.(i'm talking SAFE mode)

Most semi auto owners have O/U's for clay shooting for this reason although semi's are'nt banned just frowned upon.

I know you're after a pigeon gun but go for a Sporting Multi-Choke and that will cover you for most disiplines until you get more experienced :o :o

Cheers Ive

deadeye ive

i think i will go for and o/u as you say i want to shoot clays also

where in staffs are you

shawn

Shawn ,my advice is to go to a clay grounds where you can trust the instructor's or known shooters ,pay a little cash for the opourtunity of shooting a number of guns ,be they O/U's or Semi's , find the one that they think fit and you can comfortably shoot ,try it a little more and then make your choice , dont rush the choice (remember the hare and the tortoise ) the gun you choose will be with you for a long time ,go for quality and reliability , and dont forget service ,if it aint broke dont fix it ,if it is make sure can be done right :o .

the argument for O/U verses Semi ,is a personal thing , As to semi's frowned upon "hurumph" i say , if you take a look at the international sporting clays circuit today many many shooters run auto's (and bloody well too ) nothing wrong with that , remember its your gun ,your not looking for aproval from some **** head"s

your loooking for the right gun to suit your needs ,anyone else can sodoff :o .

its the guy behind the gun that points it in the right direction that hits the bird

personaly i shoot O/S ,i play with semis and pumps im not proficient enough with them,others are

Martin

the argument for O/U verses Semi ,is a personal thing , As to semi's frowned upon "hurumph" i say , if you take a look at the international sporting clays circuit today many many shooters run auto's (and bloody well too ) aproval from

your loooking for the right gun to suit your needs ,anyone else can sodoff :o .

its the guy behind the gun that points it in the right direction that hits the bird

personaly i shoot O/S ,i play with semis and pumps im not proficient enough with them,others are

Martin

Martin

Yes it is a personal thing but when you see an INEXPERIENCED shooter with a Semi on a clay shooting ground it is frowned upon and everyone ends up getting tarred with the same brush .Me personally i have nothing against it but in a public shooting ground it states have your Gun Broken at all times when not in the shooting cage.

On a international circuit ,i'm sure that everyone's who's qualified is experienced and knows how to handel their firearm.

Don't want to be dis-repectful but most people are only putting forward thier views with the intention of being helpful and not ascertive :o :D

Cheers Ive

Martin

Yes it is a personal thing but when you see an INEXPERIENCED shooter with a Semi on a clay shooting ground it is frowned upon and everyone ends up getting tarred with the same brush .Me personally i have nothing against it but in a public shooting ground it states have your Gun Broken at all times when not in the shooting cage.

On a international circuit ,i'm sure that everyone's who's qualified is experienced and knows how to handel their firearm.

Don't want to be dis-repectful but most people are only putting forward thier views with the intention of being helpful and not ascertive :o :o

Cheers Ive

sorry to have upset you deadeye, i wasnt trying to be disrespectful to your post ,i was only giving my own opinion as were others .

As to the "INEXPERIENCED shooter with a Semi on a clay shooting ground it is frowned upon and everyone ends up getting tarred with the same brush "

In "my" opinion any inexperienced shooter with any gun should be treated a such "an inexperienced shooter " the gun is irrelavent , ive seen experienced shooters do the same with an O/U .

so back to my point , my post read ----> "Shawn ,my advice is to go to a clay grounds where you can trust the instructor's or known shooters ,pay a little cash for the opourtunity of shooting a number of guns ,be they O/U's or Semi's , find the one that they think fit and you can comfortably shoot ,try it a little more and then make your choice , dont rush the choice (remember the hare and the tortoise ) the gun you choose will be with you for a long time ,go for quality and reliability , and dont forget service ,if it aint broke dont fix it ,if it is make sure can be done right ."

im not to sure what i said wrong Ive , but as said im sorry you took it that way,

over the year i instruct /train/tutor call it what you will , approx 25/30 shooters through the season ,im certainly not a novice and the advice i gave was with the best of intentions for Shawn, ive seen to many guys settle for what someone else thought better ,only to then sell for less and buy again for more .

regards and best wishes to each

a very humble Martin

No offence was taken Martin ,I'm not the best when it comes to putting myself across in words :o so no worries

I want to put forward a recent example when myself and a friend were shooting skeet ,2 lads asked if they could join us as they had never shot skeet before and did'nt understand the rules ,1 was using a semi-auto .It soon became apparent that niether had much shooting experience at all and i was only letting the semi load the right amount to shoot each stand(I imagined The Clint Eastwood senario coming into view ;Did i take 2 shots or was it 3 go ahead punk make my day :o )so not only were we teaching these lads some tips but basic gun safety where the semi was concerned as well.I can't speak for other members on this ground being so obliging :D

As for your advice ,it is correct and faultless but the individual needs strength of character to keep asking to try different guns and be willing to pay £10 a time to have them cleaned which i know is a small price to pay if it means you get the right gun.Ideally he could do with knowing a group of shooters and trying their guns but i have a feeling that like most Beginners their first choice is made on how nice the gun looks and with £1200 to spend it would not surprise me if Shawn ends up with a nice Beretta

My Advice to anyone going down the road of using Instrustors ,find a good reccommended one and stick to him/her as these people all have different ways and methods of teaching and if you keep chopping and changing you could end doing yourself more harm than good,me personally i don't believe in having tutition but i speak to and watch fellow shooters for advice and tips

Shawn........ this can be one of the most frustrating and yet rewarding sports to take up(sent you a pm)

Martin.......once again no need to apologise as no offence was taken :D

Cheers Ive

from experiance and handling a lot of different guns i still say that at the moment for that sum i will go for a berretta o/u it has all the qualitities of a good shotgun . there are a lot of different makes that make very good shotguns but for 1 gun i would go for a silver pigeon beretta sporter it should suit you fine . i use 3 different guns for my bird shooting i use a benelli auto camo for pigeons and doves i use an luigi franchi o/u for quail and winchester s/s for woodcock . i have shoot also with berettas on pigeons and they are great guns but for an auto i just love benellis i have 4 of them 3 in 12g and 1 in 20g they are fantastic guns . My franchi o/u is with 25 ins barrels and is fantastic for shooting over dogs so is the winchester s/s but i still think that for 1 gun i go for a beretta or franchi first then a miroku or browning which by the way i use one for skeet and is fantastic . i also thing that an auto is the best tool for pigeons there is nothing that beats it in the hide be it recoil and for loading . that can always be bought later on . and if you look around you can get the franchi alcione o/u for about stg 850 new and is a fantastic gun and make very good paterns and you will have money left for an auto be it beretta franchi or winchester or a remi all are good guns . You have to look around and try out in clubs some different guns and see the feel of things . i think guns are like cloths you have to feel comfortable in them to have a good performance . but the best thing you can learn from all that has been said is that all replies are good and that you have to take what would seem good for you for what is good for you does not mean that will work for me . :o happy shooting....

cheers guys

some very good advise taken on board from you all

i will go and try a number of guns and see what seems best for me i will then make a choice of what to buy

i must also add if i find a nice fitting gun for say £850.00 i will buy it i don't need to spend £1200.00 but if the wife asks it was £1200 that way i keep the rest for some more bits and bobs

what she don't know won't hurt her :o :o

shawn

ps i do wear the trousers honest :*) :*)