Screwing for suppressor

Browning

I've been toying with the idea of having my Tikka .243 screwed for a suppressor, and finally got round to sorting it this week, so called a few gunsmiths for pricing.

The differences in cost of screwing only, ranged from £75 to £205 !!!

Timescales ranged from 1 week to "About 4 weeks".

On further investigation I found that 3/4 of the gunsmiths used the same engineering company to do their screwing. I approached the engineering company direct and they told me...."Yep, we do about 20 rifles every week, and we charge £50 for screwing, £75 if you want it cut, screwed and re-crowned"

I eventually went through the gunsmith that quoted me £275 for screwing, suppressor and re-proofing, and if I get the rifle to them by next Monday, they guarantee to have it back by the following Monday.

It pays to shop around......

£275 for barrel screwcut, sound moderator and re-proofing ?

Thats a very good price Browning

What sound mod are you puting on it ?

Off the subject

I'm going in for my DSC level 1 next year and I am toying with the idea of the .257 Weatherby magnum round and opposed to everone seems to have the .243

Anyone used got a .257 Weth Mag ?

Jonno

I decided, after much research and talking to lads that I know who shoot moderated .243's, to go for the Reflex T8.

(I know from reading threads on here that some people think there's a potential rust problem, but my theory is, if it's well maintained it won't rust.......time will tell)

The T8 was £199 and the screwing and proofing was £76, and they'll have it done in 1 week.

I've been toying with the idea of having my Tikka .243 screwed for a suppressor, and finally got round to sorting it this week, so called a few gunsmiths for pricing.

The differences in cost of screwing only, ranged from £75 to £205 !!!

Timescales ranged from 1 week to "About 4 weeks".

On further investigation I found that 3/4 of the gunsmiths used the same engineering company to do their screwing. I approached the engineering company direct and they told me...."Yep, we do about 20 rifles every week, and we charge £50 for screwing, £75 if you want it cut, screwed and re-crowned"

I eventually went through the gunsmith that quoted me £275 for screwing, suppressor and re-proofing, and if I get the rifle to them by next Monday, they guarantee to have it back by the following Monday.

It pays to shop around......

Hi Browing. Your gun smiths must have a terrible social life if they need others to do, you know what for them ???:D

No offence ment I just could not pass that up.

You choice seems to be good. In NI I have been quoted "around £300". Considering P&P we are abut even.

Keep us informed about the T8. I will probable go for it for my .222 I hope to get on latter this year.