woodcock

monkeyboots

My Cocker pushed one out on wednsday when we were beating it never went over the guns so we may see him again on monday with a bit of luck, they realy get the Cocker going he loves them.

my cockers do as well,one of them in particular finds any that other dogs miss, someone told me cockers were orginally called woodcocker spanials and they were bred for flushing woodcock.

that right!!! We could start a debate, what best for woodcock a springer or a cocker? :hmm: I've had springers and cockers and have always found that the cockers are a wee bit slower and tend to get the nose down under cover rather than bounce through it. I think this makes them a better dog for the job. Also, cockers tend to work that little bit tighter which, in turn, presents more opportunities. It's not by mistake that many good cockers have come from Wales, the West country and the West coast of Scotland - all places where woodcock abound in the winter.

Beemn out running at dusk along a lane in prime woodcock country. Havent seen one yet. A bit of frosst would help.

Interesting story about cocker spaniels, i had a lab who was a **** gundog (Me and me Dads fault not his) but he could find woodcock brilliantly!

Tight Lines

Aled