A very productive day!

Saker Clive

I took Mille (the Bengal) out for a manning walk over one of my regular permissions as a part of her daily session and we were approached by one of the local Wardens and a small group of people with him; apparently they were doing a 'wildlife walk'. The next 30 minutes was being asked all sorts of questions about her and falconry in general. They asked about if I had any other birds and after telling them what I had, the Warden said that if I wouldn't mind, could I show them to the group. I said that as they were all of different species I would have to bring out one at a time and they thought this was excellent. I told them that I would be about 20 minutes and told them that I would meet them then.

They carried on with their walk and talk while I went and got Zarbu. The wind was excellent for flying today and on meeting up with them again and the mandatory photos to start with, I put her up. She had a super play on the wind, climbing and stooping and it was as if she knew that she was 'performing' for them and went up but stayed in view all the time. After a 10 minute flight I called her in from a long stoop which was very much appreciated. she was enjoying the wind today so she went off again and we carried on discussing 'falconry' in general. Zarbu was above us waiting on at around 1000 feet so I moved away from the group and called her in for a near virtical stoop.....................she set her wings and came in then from 50 yards out, she turned into the wind and came back in to the lure. I got her up on the fist, equipped her and fed her up. I said that I was going to fly the Harris later on and they went back down to the Cafe for their refreshments. After taking Zarbu home I had a bite to eat and got kier ready.

I met up with most of them again at the lower end of the park and we made our way towards the hill. The wind was still really good and Kier soared and had a great time showing off; i explained that we would normally beat the bushes etc. to flush either rabbits, pheasant etc. then a few of them began to 'bang about' thinking they would flush something!! I passed around a spare glove and Kier was happy to fly to the people in turn and catching chick heads thrown up for him. He did put in at a few woodpigeon hiding in the trees but missed them all.

the Warden asked if I would be able to do the same sort of thing at the next planned 'event' later this week, I said as long as the weather is good then yes, and obviously the more help I give the Wardens, then in return, the more land they could secure for me to fly on, which was agreed, even though it is Councils Green policy of No Hunting!!.

We exchanged contact details and he will phone me later this coming week. I think the Warden/Ranger was more enthralled than the group BUT hey! who cares? Loads of photos were taken and I was told I will get copies.

Excellent write up mate, any chance of some pictures?

I didn't take any pics but the Ranger took a few and again today of the Saker coming in on a stoop. If/when he sends me copies, I'll post them up. I've got loads of pics. probably the same type as he took but of days gone by!!. I wouldn't feel right posting them saying they were of yesterday!! I took one of the Harris on the soar which is on the mobile but haven't looked at it on the pc. yet............................... :blush: