.17 HMR

robmiller

Am just due to go out and buy myself a .17hmr.

I have noticed, as with .22's there is a variety of long barreled and short barreled. I am wanting to look at a CZ 16".

The question is, do people feel a longer barrel on this calibre would be beneficial......or it doesnt make a halfpenny of difference.

Cheers

Hi Rob,

I have the CZ .17 HMR 16" barrel which I think is brilliant, especially when shooting out of the truck, but I have heard that with the shorter barrel the powder does not get 100% burned thus a slight loss in power which is hardly noticeable, and the barrel will foul up a bit more than the longer barrels, requiring more cleaning, I don't think there is much diifference in accuracy between the shorter and longer barrels either.

I hope this helps a bit.

Bob.

This is the content of the page....

Hope it helps...

We have been overwhelmed with interest in this amazing little cartridge and the rifles which use it. Many customers have confirmed the inherent accuracy and terminal ballistic effects of the .17HMR We can also confirm that shortening and screwcutting the barrels on these rifles proved to be one of our better ideas! In fact both CZ and Anschutz rifles are now available direct from the manufactures in the same format as our modified ones following contact from either the factory or importer. The end result is a more portable and pointable rifle eminently suitable for shooting from a vehicle. Customer feedback confirms that the shorter barrels have no drawbacks, and the slightly reduce muzzle velocity does not impair the bullet's effect on the quarry.

We are still supplying our modified Marlin VS which has proved to be a popular rifle offering a heavy 16" barrel in stainless steel and laminated stock, which includes a Rifle Basix trigger.

Sound moderators

We are frequently asked which moderator is best for use with .17HMR rifles. We have supplied several types including reflex style which work well but we feel they are rather expensive for use with this calibre. We strongly recommend either the SAK which is available in black or silver for £32.00 or the Sirocco which is also £32.00

Cleaning the .17HMR rifle

This remains a rather contentious issue! We have read reports which recommend cleaning every 15-20 rounds to maintain accuracy, we have also seen reports that these rifles shoot better with a moderately fouled barrel! You pays yer money and takes yer choice! However, you will need to clean it sometimes! We offer the excellent and field portable Boresnake for just £21.00, but for a good seeing to you can't beat a decent rod. The problem here is of course that the bore size is oh so tiny, and there isn't a lot of room for a rod and jag.

We stock the well made Dewey 36" rod for £27.00 including a jag, phosphor bronze brushes are £3.50 each. Also shown in the picture below is another highly recommended item ......a bore guide for safer cleaning in such a small calibre. We stock this useful item for Ruger, Marlin and CZ .17 rimfire bolt action rifles for £19.00 each.