.17hmr

Andy17

hi all,

Am applying for a .17hmr in the next few weeks and am looking into buying a cz american. Problem is I really dislike long guns so would like to know if anyone has had there barrels cut, if so to what length and does it affect bullet velocity and accuracy??. I know the barrels are 22inch and was thinking of getting it cut down to 17-18inches then silencing it(also will it affect the guns balance). How much does it cost to cut and then screw cut??.

Another question is what silencer to attach?? I'm all for buying a silencer for £100-150 but won't if a £30 SAK is equally as good. Any info on this would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

yis andy17

Don’t know what a “Cut down” .17hmr will shoot like as I have no experience of one. But I do have a Sako .22rf that I have had cut down to 16” and a moderator fitted, and that shoots very well.

For what it’s worth I also had a .222 cut down to 18” and that shot brilliantly. :o

G.M.

If your intending to shoot also at a club on a range and continually put round after round down the barrel (For bit of fun let's say) then i recommend choosing a gun with a Heavy match grade barrel as i can imagine accuracy suffering as the barrel gets hot .

Just a thought :yp:

Cheers Ive :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

i did have the cz varmint with the heavy barrel,and a sako proofed mod on it ,very quiet indeed,i have just traded it in as it was a bit heavy for me and a pain when shooting in the 4 x 4,just waiting for my licence to come back so i can go and pick up my new baby ,gone for the new cut down 16" barrel in the american,and it has a really nice bit of wood on it ....bonus :rolleyes::oops:

• 2 weeks later...

Andy17,

Not sure about the accuracy and consistency of shots but in general shorter barrels produce lower muzzle velocities and that will naturally effect your bullet drop. Therefore you may only need to re-work your hold-over's for different ranges. A drop in velocity will also mean a drop in energy delivered on the quarry too.

As for heavy (varmint) barrels, handy to have on a full bore centre fire if you're banging away on a range all day (in fact a definite must), but not really necessary for rimfire calibres like .22 or .17 whether on the range or in the field, they just don't generate the same pressures and temperatures as full bores.

My tuppence worth anyway...