ferreting

fieldwanderer

Where to start :lol: Years ago I had a morning ferreting with my uncle and his brother and thoroughly enjoyed myself. A few years ago I got my own ferrets and gear but I've only been out a handful of times and haven't been very successful.

I've asked in the shooting wanted section in the hope someone'll take me under their wing but, more out of curiosity than anything, what do you think I'm doing wrong;

We arrive at the holes (whatever you preffer to call them), nice 'n' quiet, set the nets out and in goes the fert. All our ferts seem quite happy to work and get pretty excited about it but - no cigar (well, rabbits). But, strangely, if I just use the ferrets to bolt the rabbits for me and my 12 bore - it's a little bit more successful :good:

So, any tips would be much appreciated......

how many ferts are you putting down, and when you do, can you hear any activity (thumping) underground, Ive always found rabbits will prefer to outrun a fert underground, rather than bolting into the unknown, so I tend to put 3 to 4 ferts down at once, I find this acts as a real "leave the warren" incentive to the rabbits,

AH -this is where it went :hmm:

Right, only one ferret at a time and yes I use a locator. But I was under the impression you don't dig unless the ferret stops for a while?

That's another point actually, I don't think I've ever heard anything going on underground. My permission's crawling with rabbits this year, I've been a bit busy with other things :lol: so you'd expect to get something happening but it's not really working.

Seeing as I've got the day off (so far) I might take one of our young jills to see how she gets on, I've been using the hobs so far because they had better stamina but the one jill (this years) is always full of energy so maybe she'll get on better ???

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks for the help sofar. :good:

AH -this is where it went :hmm:

Right, only one ferret at a time and yes I use a locator. But I was under the impression you don't dig unless the ferret stops for a while?

That's another point actually, I don't think I've ever heard anything going on underground. My permission's crawling with rabbits this year, I've been a bit busy with other things :lol: so you'd expect to get something happening but it's not really working.

Seeing as I've got the day off (so far) I might take one of our young jills to see how she gets on, I've been using the hobs so far because they had better stamina but the one jill (this years) is always full of energy so maybe she'll get on better ???

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks for the help sofar. :good:

Try working two at a time, Rabbits will know the warren alot better than your poor old ferret, and would rather stay underground than the exposed outside (Where all that stomping of you walking about just happend). Working two ferrets can stop the rabbits running about in circles underground.

But, strangely, if I just use the ferrets to bolt the rabbits for me and my 12 bore - it's a little bit more successful :/

So, any tips would be much appreciated......

This suggests that you are either making too much noise when setting your nets (Rabbits pick up on the vibrations of your feet etc and recognise this as noise as well as any sounds that come out of your mouth) or that you are standing in the rabbits line of sight which might stop them from bolting!

Try to two best suggestions already given:

1. Net the holes in the borrow you intend to work and then go on and net the next burrows, only then go back to the first burrow you netted and release the ferrets. This will give the rabbits a chance to settle and forget about any heavy footsteps or noise you made above them!

2. Try using 2 ferrets at a time, maybe even 3 in a really large borrow, that will give the rabbits less chance of running rings around a lone ferret in a burrow which they know much better than your ferret does!

Hope this helps, good luck! :good:

i agree with the others net the holes then retire for a brew (or 2) :yes: , then get as many furts down those holes as you can, the last outing i went on we put 6 ferrets down and the rabbits still gave them a run around down in the warren. eventually they bolted to the surface and we bagged 16

Edited by richie76

Ferretting a funny game there is no rigid answer to any questions, sure making a alot of noise setting up does sometimes keep them from bolting ,but in my time I have netted rabbits while setting the nets crashing about in thick brambles.

The worst time is when you find a qiute place and rabbits are use to peace and quiet .

My best ferretting has always been in roadside banks where the rabbits are use to noise so you setting nets talkng etc dont effect them.

But be very careful that the buries dont go under the road path or worst still to the other side though drains etc.

But be patient trust your ferrets it will happen with time .

Regards

Edited by Over the hill

thanks all, with it being the weekend I may even get a cance to give it all a go :hmm: could do with getting another collar before I try more than one ferret though.

I'm no expert on ferreting, but when I have been out with friends of my uncles we use two ferrets at a time although we only put one collared ferret in.. then if the one without the collar doesn't appear but the collared one does then we send it back in as they always go to find the other ferret due to the rabbit they will have undoubtedly killed and be sat by..

Robo

I'm no expert on ferreting, but when I have been out with friends of my uncles we use two ferrets at a time although we only put one collared ferret in.. then if the one without the collar doesn't appear but the collared one does then we send it back in as they always go to find the other ferret due to the rabbit they will have undoubtedly killed and be sat by..

Robo

.....or it bottles another one up and you have 2 digs to do at least ! Stop being tight and get 2 collars :good:

.....or it bottles another one up and you have 2 digs to do at least ! Stop being tight and get 2 collars :(

Well I would have at least two collars, and another receiver had they been delivered.. I 'bought' them off of a bloke called Ferretmen on here in march (you may remember the post I left to admin about this) and still haven't received anything from him, and now cannot for the life of me get hold of him!! :( He has the money I paid for it, and all the products, so I am at uni £80 out of pocket and with nothing to show for it! So I would be less tight but sometimes it is a little tough and it does make me :good: ..

Robo

Why bother with netting, I find its much better sport shooting the rabbits bolting with the shotgun. The rabbits we ferret are not going to a game dealer they are just for personal consumption. I love the sport of going out on a frosty morning and shooting a few quick bolting bunnies. Do many of you guys shoot over the ferret or do all you guys net them?

Well I would have at least two collars, and another receiver had they been delivered.. I 'bought' them off of a bloke called Ferretmen on here in march (you may remember the post I left to admin about this) and still haven't received anything from him, and now cannot for the life of me get hold of him!! :hmm: He has the money I paid for it, and all the products, so I am at uni £80 out of pocket and with nothing to show for it!

I remember Him(?)

I`m sure that if you ask the admin they will give you his IP address(s) and you will be able to also get the relevant PM`s sorted and get this miscreant sorted.

Why bother with netting, I find its much better sport shooting the rabbits bolting with the shotgun. The rabbits we ferret are not going to a game dealer they are just for personal consumption. I love the sport of going out on a frosty morning and shooting a few quick bolting bunnies. Do many of you guys shoot over the ferret or do all you guys net them?

ollie i shoot bolted rabbits now and again although i prefer to bolt them for my lurcher and whippet to run them, used to have a place that had 1000s of bunnys but it got wiped out by mixi a number of years ago and never recovered :hmm: it was a great place to shoot bolted rabbits

a bit of both depending on how difficult it is to net up

monkey boots im from ni too and am really sad bout the decline in rabbits. we used to do alot of ferreting in tryone, ballygawley, augher, clogher. they were everywhere! hundreds of em. but its at least 7 years since we had any kind of season at rabbits. i donyt understand what happened! i mean myxy has been around since 50s, and in 90s this place was heaving with them. i think its more than myxy. in places there aint a rabbit no more, they are extinct. im really sad, as rabbits are my favourite shooting

It all depends on where you are.

I love shooting over ferrets, but sometimes it's not possible. The obvious answers to 'why not' is mainly to either the personal preference of who owns the land, and also because sometimes it's just too close to public proximity to do so.

The other time I favour netting is when working long strips that don't favor shooting. If rabbits bolt into the open, across a field or so, then it's all good, but sometimes they'll go back down another hole as soon as they bolt, and that leaves safety issues for anyone on the other side of the fence, and even your ferret.

I also sometimes use netting while shooting, such as placing a long net somewhere that isn't safe to shoot, or isn't covered by a gun.

It all depends on where you are.

I love shooting over ferrets, but sometimes it's not possible. The obvious answers to 'why not' is mainly to either the personal preference of who owns the land, and also because sometimes it's just too close to public proximity to do so.

The other time I favour netting is when working long strips that don't favor shooting. If rabbits bolt into the open, across a field or so, then it's all good, but sometimes they'll go back down another hole as soon as they bolt, and that leaves safety issues for anyone on the other side of the fence, and even your ferret.

I also sometimes use netting while shooting, such as placing a long net somewhere that isn't safe to shoot, or isn't covered by a gun.

When shooting over ferrets no shots should be taken until the rabbit is well clear of the hole so if it pops into another hole then so be it. Is there not a lot of hassle placing a long net while shooting aswell? If there is an area that is unsafe to shoot and the rabbit goes that way I just let it go with the attitude that it'll be there for another day.

When shooting over ferrets no shots should be taken until the rabbit is well clear of the hole so if it pops into another hole then so be it. Is there not a lot of hassle placing a long net while shooting aswell? If there is an area that is unsafe to shoot and the rabbit goes that way I just let it go with the attitude that it'll be there for another day.

It all depends if you've got a job to do, or your doing it for a hobby, sometimes it's not practical to go back to someones backgarden time and time again, etc.

Longnets are the greatest thing to happen to ferreting since the invention of the ferret (Ferret finders where invented afterwards - before any smarty pants says something.)

With some form of 'Easy set' system (I.e a bag with hooks) I can have a 50ft net out as fast as it takes you to walk 50ft backwards. They work as brilliant insurance policys and are brilliant for catching those ******** who slip out of pursenets, or boltholes. I have ferreted warrens bolting 10-15 rabbits, using nets only and caught 9 in nets, with the final 6 either escaping or finding a bolt hole - only to run straight into a longnet. I will be honest, they basicly try to do what any good dog would do, but for a fraction of the price/stress.

It all depends if you've got a job to do, or your doing it for a hobby, sometimes it's not practical to go back to someones backgarden time and time again, etc.

Longnets are the greatest thing to happen to ferreting since the invention of the ferret (Ferret finders where invented afterwards - before any smarty pants says something.)

With some form of 'Easy set' system (I.e a bag with hooks) I can have a 50ft net out as fast as it takes you to walk 50ft backwards. They work as brilliant insurance policys and are brilliant for catching those ******** who slip out of pursenets, or boltholes. I have ferreted warrens bolting 10-15 rabbits, using nets only and caught 9 in nets, with the final 6 either escaping or finding a bolt hole - only to run straight into a longnet. I will be honest, they basicly try to do what any good dog would do, but for a fraction of the price/stress.

I suppose this is true, I do all my ferreting as a hobby and I must say I love the sort of shooting them bolting but I suppose its each to their own.