Safe & safe guns

Big Dog

I don't know about you but if you have a really good gun safe with a key, do you ever feel the key is the weak link?? Where do you keep it, are you sure a burgler won't find it. I have had all those thought. The way I see it is you have 2 choices:

1. Buy a new combination safe and sell that safe you really like. Or

2. Do what I have just done, buy a combination key safe.

Two year ago I changed my safe and I really like it, 5 door blots etc. Never happy that my key wouldn't be found. Last week I purchased a:

SUPPA UK Permanent Keysafe & cover (661409 EU) it cost £41.57 all in.

It is very small, just big enough to take the safe key and the inner locker key. It is really easy to fit. It come with rawl bolts and a black neopreme cover which fit to the bottom of the safe so when you are opening it, the cove hangs there and when closed, the cover hide it.

You need a 6mm bit and and 8mm socket. The combinations are really easy to set. 6 or 7 number combinations. I fitted it in about 15mins. They are designed to be fitted outside on the wall.

Now I feel I can go away and have peace of mind. I will notify my solicitor and give him the code and when I "kick th bucket" access will be no problem.

Bought in online had it the next day

let me just point out one thing out here if you let any body know were you key is or the number to the safe dont matter who it is you are breaking the law and you could lose your ticket and guns if you do so ...no body must know not even the police ....and if they ask you ..you must say no body knows ...as one guy told the police that he told his old gran were the keys was in case he died ..and the police took his guns and ticket away there and then and his gran was about 80+ ...so now you know and if you think this is bull **** ask the police next time you ring up ...if you were to tell any body you may be takeing up fishing full time :o

Apparently the chap in question was actually warned not to tell his ma where the keys were on a number of occassions but he wanted to challenge the plod view on this.

It wasn't the case that the FLO just pitched up one day as per shooter folklore.

The way i look at is ,

If (Hopefully not) you get burgled and said burglers get their hands on you cabinet keys open your gun safe and nick your guns , how are you going to tell the old bill??

Well its like this Mr. plod my keys were in the lock box/safe/ kitchen drawer and the **** found them and nicked my guns !!

Dont think you'll get a licence again

My keys come with me where ever i go

What if i loose them ? i hear you ask, Tough SH## get a lock smith to fit two new locks to my cabinet

WB

Well you are right. I talked to the BASC and they said tell no one. When you die, it is the responsibility of you next of kin to get a locksmith in the sort the problem.

I still think a combination key safe is a good idea; very small and rebust.

I had my house broken into while I was on holiday in the States.

I had put my Gun cabinet keys in my combination locked safe. The B*stards broke into my garage, used my tools to break into the combination safe and then opened my Gun safe with the keys.

When my Father in Law told the plods where I was, they phoned me and asked why I left the keys at home. I explained that I couldn't think of a safer place to leave them than in a safe. After this, they were OK about it.

Crazy thing is....they left the Guns propped up against the wall!!!!!

I would still like to find out who they were and blow their balls off for ruining my holiday. :< :< :<

I had a lengthy conversation with my local fire arms officer about what to do with my safe keys and my spare set. He advised me to either carry one set with me or hide them well in the house, fine by me, but the second set I suggested to lock in my brother in laws safe (who has a shotty cert) and he found this a very good idea.

Myself and my b in law now have each others spares locked in our safes. I'm sure this idea could be floored in some way but its the best way I can think of.

When did it become law that you HAD to lock your (shot) guns in a gun safe??? Always thought that was just a recommendation plod could make but not strictly enforceable. Obliging to do so maybe, sensible to do so maybe but law, I don't think so.

Edited by Highlander

Highlander I can't speak for England but in N.I. a guns safe is law. "under lock and key" work on an application is no longer any good. You must state safe. The police will check you out at some time.

When I applied for my .22lr they came to the house to check if I had a safe and to see where it was fitted; proper bolting to and secure wall.

Whe they went to one of the famers who gave me the land for .22 shooting (they check out each farm for a rifle here) they ask him how he stored his guns, he didn't have a safe so he was told he needed to get one and they would check later. As it happened I was changing mine so I sold him my old one. He ask the police if he could fit the safe in the garage and they said no. The house gave better protection and if someone breaks into your house you will know whereas an old garage that lies open often was not suitable.

I don't know if the police ever came back but whose would take the chance.