cockers

tony armstrong

hi,ive a got a 2 and a half year old lab bitch who's great.just bought a cocker pup which is now six month's old absolutely fantastic!!.he walks to heel off the lead, already sits and waits until i tell him to 'get on' while throwing dummies.And he won't leave an area until he's found what ive sent him in for, like i say he's fantastic.

i would'nt say he was brainier than my lab but he picks things up quicker.the only problem is when i point him in a direction he try's jumping up and biting my hand through excitemnt which i've got to nip in the bud

Get one you wont regret it ..fantastic little dogs ..they have a terrible teens phase but it short lived and this is were you can loose them control wise..but all they want to do is work ..just let them think everything was their idea and your sorted . I have a Lab, Cocker and Springer ..Labs prob are more brainy but the Cocker gets there with energy , trial and error and just makes you smile a hell of a lot more . Wont hunt if there is nowt there though ...so saves you time too :oops:

Very good with people/kids and not an aggressive bone in their skinny little body's ..just make sure its a working one, with no show in its lines

post-4632-1256853990.jpg

Some cockers have a tendency to dig and / or bury things (including game in some cases). Thankfully mine doesn't hide game, but he does like to dig and generally buries any food above a certain size - he'll bury pigs ears, bones, etc. A picker up I was chatting to has exactly the same with his cocker bitch, and I've read of this trait in others as well.

Mine needs a firm tone of voice but is generally well behaved and biddable despite my poor training. He was the biggest and boldest of the litter so perhaps I took the hardest to train! (That's my excuse anyway)

He quarters reasonably well in front of me, and turns when directed. This is with my minimal and amateurish training. He faces cover well and is a godsend in my DIY syndicate where most of the other dogs are labs - only a couple of which face cover. Right at the end of last season - the very last day, the retrieves were working well but up until that point I'd struggled and it'll be interesting to see how he goes this season.

What else...

Mine stays in the house and is a pet as much (more really) as a working dog, as I really only work him game shooting.

He's still very excitable and has a tendency to widdle on visitors feet if they fuss him. I ask visitors to ignore him for the first few minutes until he calms down. Don't think this is going to change as he's 3.5 years old now. He pretty hyper until he has been out for a walk and it's the same on shoot days. I actually take him out for a short walk before going shooting otherwise he just seems to hair around wildly on the first drive - very difficult to control. But, he's my first dog and my training has been limited so if you've more experience there you would be better at reigning them in perhaps.

Another vote "for" from me,

As already said it helps if you can make them think everything you want them to do was their idea & don't be too hard on them (ask them rather than tell them to do something) as they can be stubborn.

I often hear people say they are more difficult to train than other breeds but having never trained another breed I can't make any comparisons.

A word of warning though they are addictive, I now have four & have already planned where my next one is coming from.

Another vote "for" from me,

As already said it helps if you can make them think everything you want them to do was their idea & don't be too hard on them (ask them rather than tell them to do something) as they can be stubborn.

I often hear people say they are more difficult to train than other breeds but having never trained another breed I can't make any comparisons.

A word of warning though they are addictive, I now have four & have already planned where my next one is coming from.

SORRY FOR SOME REASON THIS POSTED TWICE!!! :good:

Edited by mez75

my father in law breeds workin cockers i find them hypo more than my springers and all his line are squeaky little ******* , maybe that can be stopped i dont know

Easy smack there nose & tell them to be quiet from a pup & they will only do fit you allow them to. To be honest its my pet hate & i have noticed mine have a slight wee whimper in frustration to get going to pick up or start the drive but he gets a good hit for it but it is a very hard to hear whimper.

I have had labs for 15yrs & got my first cocker 3yrs ago & have to say they are a fantastic little dog & a must have to any body who dose alot of beating/shooting. There is alot to the breed to look into as in the lines of cocker as stated burrying game/hairy coats/size & drive etc.

the squicking is common is cocker pups..they soon grow out of it..if you ignore them ...my boy use to squeck like a gooden when we came across another dog....to overcome this..I use to ask the other dogs owner if i could make a fuss of thier dog..just a quick rub of the head and a good boy/girl, this showed my boy there was no danger...

this worked for me....

now when we are out walking / training as soon as i see another dog..i get my boy to continue quartering, so his mind is on work...

I would never hit any off my dogs. for any reason .for if they do something wrong..it would have been my fault

jasp

I got my first Working Cocker about 30years ago you rarely saw one at that time, now you see lots of them,they are great dogs when i'm feeling a bit down i go and sit with them and they cheer me up, they are great little workers and allways try to please you, i'm on no's 5 and 6 now i take them beating on a big commercial shoot and when i go pigeon shooting and when i'm shooting on walked up days they love water and i take mine wildfowling on the coast to see a small cocker retreive a canada goose over the mud flats is a wouderfull sight, great little dogs im' hooked and will allways stick with the cockers ???

i take mine wildfowling on the coast to see a small cocker retreive a canada goose over the mud flats is a wouderfull sight, great little dogs im' hooked and will allways stick with the cockers ???

I do a bit of fowling too and I am looking to get a cocker next year. I wondered if a cocker would manage to retrieve a canada. I have seen a springer retrieve a couple off the mud.

im deffinetly in the market for one loads of good feedback we were on our first days shooting yesterday and i was watching two little cockers working a joy to watch my lab did some good retreives from the peg then i was beeting with my spaniel great stuff but i was also very impressed with those cockers . any advice on pedigree lines to look for etc .theres 1 on the cover of sporting gun wich looks a snorter .i know looks arent everything but i do like my dogs to look good .any advice much appreciated.. oh i had a left n right at woodcock yesterday to say i was chuffed was an understatement... ?????????

Does anybody know: If any, which of the cockers springers and labs would be best for someone with mild dog allergies?

Dont know about the allergy factor but their hair is fine and human like..not dense like a lab, they do however shed very little if anything..we have to look hard to find Cocker hair whilest we can make a new dog every week out of the JR , my sis in law has a fur allergy and she drips if around ours but we cant say which dog or dogs makes it worse ...sorry smiithy wasnt much help mate was it :good:

Thanks very much for that. I won't have a dog while I'm working the shifts I do at the moment and my parents wouldn't let me have one while I live with them so it will be a while but it's nice to dream :lol:

Dont know about the allergy factor but their hair is fine and human like..not dense like a lab, they do however shed very little if anything..we have to look hard to find Cocker hair whilest we can make a new dog every week out of the JR , my sis in law has a fur allergy and she drips if around ours but we cant say which dog or dogs makes it worse ...sorry smiithy wasnt much help mate was it :hmm: