a close call

stuey

Came back from the lakes on monday - wet roads and standing water.

Approaching quite a steep incline and the Pathfinder started hesistating - like hitting a rev limiter. Did it in all gears at lower and lower revs, the higher the gear I was in.

Not looking good.

So, took it to the garage and was told it was one of 2 things -

- Blocked/water in the fuel filter (apparently quite common due to the increasing amount of Biodiesel in fuel mixes these days) - £100

- Fuel pump which is a £1600 part plus the fitting :good:

Luckily it was the cheaper of the 2 options, so now its back on fine form.

Stu

What motor manufacturer designs and produces a car which requires a £1600 fuel pump?

I guess the money is in the fitting because it's located somewhere daft?

But, just, ermmm how? How do you get a replacement fuel pump to anywhere near £1600?

Anyone know?

It's not just big cars, the fuel pump on a 2001 1.7 diesel corsa is over a grand.

why? well that's anyones guess :blink:

No, the dealer didn't see me coming - the part was £25.00, but looking on ebay seems to range from £29.99 to £45.00. They diagnosed the problem, checked the rest of the fuel system and fixed the problem. So parts, 2hrs Labour charges, VAT gives £100 - its not like I'm driving a Micra here....thankfully :blink:

Result is car back to fine form, haven't wasted a day picking up parts, scrounging tools etc, haven't had to find a Haynes manual, but have been able to spend my time in good company shooting pheasants and ducks instead :good:

laters

stu

What motor manufacturer designs and produces a car which requires a £1600 fuel pump?

I was chatting to a friend who's a VW mechanic, and he described a recent incident where a guy came in to get a headlight bulb changed on his Passat. Turns out he had been seduced into buying some fancy Xenon lights that anticipate corners, and the whole unit needed replacing, at a cost of more than £1800. Imagine how THAT must have stung!

Me, I drive a Defender, and I'm totally lovin' my manual windows.

I guess the money is in the fitting because it's located somewhere daft?

But, just, ermmm how? How do you get a replacement fuel pump to anywhere near £1600?

Anyone know?

Andy,

Have you ever looked to see how much a fuel peump is for a TD5 Discovery?

I think you may be shocked.