Been very busy today!

Saker Clive

I had a telephone call last night from the lady I went and 'rescued' George my Bengal eagle owl from 18 months ago; she said that a freind of hers just down the road about 100 yards from her had a Snowy owl and couldn't look after it any more so could I go and take a look at it and try and get it rehomed........................I telephoned the women this morning and introduced myself and asked about the Snowy! She said that it wasn't a Snowy Owl but a Long Eared eagle owl!!! I bit my lip and explained that there is no such animal and it was either, a Long Eared owl or a Bengal/European Eagle owl. I made arrangements to go over this lunchtime and took my daughter along as I may have needed some help.

Well, had a shock once we got there.......................................................it definately wasn't a Snowy..........................nor was it a Long Eared owl.............................................nor was it a Bengal or European Eagle owl...............................................I gulped and said that "That bird is a Canadian Great horned Owl!"

As I approached the aviery he started hu-hoooing at me so I replied which made the women and her 2 sons feel more at ease. She said that she has had him for 2 1/2 years but never handled him as he doesn't like the glove ??? ...................................I entered the aviery which was swiftly closed behind me and I was in the enclosure with this chuffing great big bird!! I tried to grab its legs as there was no equipment on it but missed and he decided to stay on the ground knowing that I would have difficulty getting him. The rain was lashing down and I was soaked, so after a few minutes of chasing the bloody thing up and down the aviery I asked my daughter for her poncho, which I quickly threw of him and picked him up and managed to get some equipment on him so I could hold onto him. Now this was my first experience of a Great Horned owl and if you think that Millie was big, then this one is twice her size and his grip was agonising. He wasn't intentionally trying to hurt me as if he did, he could have pushed his talons threw my glove without any real problems but I had marks on my hand afterward!!

He has been good as gold considering his upheaval and as you guys would expect I took a few pics of him. I did weigh him also once we got home and he weighed.................................................4lb. 11oz. which is twice what Mille weighs!!!

There is NO way I will let him sit on my shoulder like Millie ???

Bobbyportrait.jpg

MemyBoy.jpg

Athome.jpg

Bobbyonfist1a.jpg

MemyBoy1.jpg

Bobbyonfist1.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just taken this from an Owl site regarding quarry they take in the wild.............................................might not be flying him out on my regular permissions!!!

Hunting & Food: Great Horned Owls hunt by perching on snags and poles and watching for prey, or by gliding slowly above the ground. From high perches they dive down to the ground with wings folded, before snatching prey. Prey are usually killed instantly when grasped by its large talons. A Great Horned Owl may take prey 2 to 3 times heavier than itself. They also hunt by walking on the ground to capture small prey or wading into water to snatch frogs and fish. They have been known to walk into chicken coops to take domestic fowl. Rodents and small rabbits can be swallowed whole while larger prey are carried off and ripped apart at feeding perches or at the nest. Birds are often plucked first, and legs and wing tips discarded. An extremely wide range of prey species (at least 253 identified) are captured, but rabbits and hares are its preferred prey. Mammalian prey includes all coexisting rodents, squirrels, mink, skunks, raccoons, armadillos, porcupines, domestic cats and dogs, shrews, moles, muskrats, and bats. Bird prey includes all other Owls (except Snowy Owl), grouse, woodpeckers, crows, turkeys, pigeons, Red-tailed Hawks, bitterns, Great Blue Heron, ducks, swans, gulls, etc. Reptiles include snakes, turtles, lizards, and young alligators. Amphibians include frogs, toads, and salamanders. Other foods include fish, large insects, scorpions, centipedes, crayfish, worms, spiders, and road killed animals.

Pellets are very large, about 7.6 to 10.2 cm (3- 4") long and 3.8 cm (1.5") thick. Pellets are dark greyish-black and compact. Skulls as wide as 3 cm (1.2") are regurgitated whole. Pellets are regurgitated 6 to 10 hours after eating.

Edited by Saker Clive

Hi! Clive, The bird seems quite steady on the glove to say that it has never been handled. Beautiful looking bird. good luck with it.

I bet once he's settled in and after a week, he'll start to show his real aggression towards me; I guess at the mo. he's still in a bit of shock!!! I know I was when I went in to get him :good:

Clive, you obviously know your owls but how come you don't wear eye/face protection especially getting up close and personal with an unknown bundle of potential grief?

And why oh why do some people have 'pets' that they have no idea how to cope with! :good:

A lot of everything 'we' as falconers do is trust in the bird and knowing the signs before it happens. I can tell if the bird is going to bite or foot. Also not sure if it is true but apparently a bird feels safe/secure if faces are close!! Yes the bite will hurt and possibly cause scarring BUT it's the feet that will cause the real damage. I just can't put into words what the grip feels like and today a freind came over who has a Harris hawk. I let him have Bobby on his glove for a while and he now knows the raw power in its feet and he isn't even trying to be nasty or aggressive.

As for the pet side of things; this is something that will never cease to amaze or astound me. The people I got him from have done a good job keeping him in such good condition as they were asked by the owner if they would house it in their garden as he was breeding other species!!! He was also going up there and helping out but they fell out and he ******** off. His partner got fed up with the other birds they had in their garden and they went to the local center I worked at. The biggest problem I have with the lot Bobby came from is they still have an American Kestrel which is this years bird but as they no nothing about them I have already said that it will be dead by Christmas. A monster of a bird like boby is relatively easy to keep alive BUT an American Kes only weighs about 5oz. and should be weighed twice a day. EvenI would have trouble keeping it alive for any real length of time but at least I know the way to go.

Just think of all the kids that have seen Harry Potter and pleaded with mummy and daddy that they wany a Hedgewig or something like that; they give in and get a young Eagle owl or Great Horned like Bobby, then in a few months when it has got virtually full size and little Johnny can't hold it any more and it begins to get aggressive and eat their little cat, puppy or rabbit etc. then it gets passed onto someone else just as unwitting and the bird get worse and worse, then it's left to people in the know to save to poor thing bearing in mind that in captivity they can and do live into the 30's - 40's!!

Now that is an owl and a half, beautiful just beautiful :good:

Thank you; and I totally agree with you. I thought my 2 bengals were gorgeous but when I got him I'm smitten!!!! Although I doubt I'll be able to fly him free like my Saker or Harris, he is so sweet (at the mo) it's unreal!! Can't wait for him to settle and calm down properly, then I'll be able to get some really good pics of him standing upright as he should.

Close up of his grapling irons!!

Bobbysgraples.jpg

monsterfeet.jpg

onchair.jpg

mynewboy.jpg

Clive, you obviously know your owls but how come you don't wear eye/face protection especially getting up close and personal with an unknown bundle of potential grief?

And why oh why do some people have 'pets' that they have no idea how to cope with! :welcomeani:

.. or even what type of bird it actually is !!!!

Well he hadn't eaten the 3 chicks I left with him last night and today he's down to 4lb. 6 1/2oz. As the weather is still pretty rough down here (not as bad as up north) but not flyable, I've been able to man him for the afternoon again.

I'm amazed that he doesn't mind his feet and legs being touched and played with! Neither of the Bengals tolerate their feet being touched and almost guarrantee they will go down swiftly to bite!! I got a good measure of his wingspan as whilst on the fist he put his right wing over my shoulder, so I held my arm out straight and there was still about 4 inches hanging behind my shoulder. I measured from my wrist to the back of my shoulder and that is 30 inches so I recon his total wingspan will be about 68 inches.

When I was stroking his leg (a bit like putting my hand up someones skirt!) he started hu-hoooing, which was nice, and even when I stroke over his beak and nairs (sp) he hasn't yet tried to bite. I'm in no doubt that he will but the more I 'maul' him about hopefully he'll get used to it and accept it as part of his new regime.

I took him out in the car again to meet the wife so he's getting so much going on that he wont have time to stay in his old ways. Anyone know what the average weight of a male is/ Not flying weight but upper weight. I know the parents are big birds but that isn't always a true indicator. It is going to be a very long haul with him as is the Bengals but he is so adorable it isn't going to be a problem.

Today he was 4lb. 6oz. and again he hadn't touched his food left for him last night. So today I decided he was definately going to eat and I pulled the legs and heads off 5 chicks and we sat in the living room and I offered him a leg at a time. At first I had to physically put the leg in his beak and he just stood there staring ahead of him for a few seconds before eating it. I did this a few times, then I put a head in ...........................he bit into it sharing the brain juice with me before taking that. I'd also defrosted a couple of smallish mice and tried him with one of those..................................he held it in his beak like before then dropped it in my lap. I tried it numerous times all with the same outcome; so I pulled the head off and gave him that...........this time he swallowed it. I then tried the body with the blood oozing out of the neck hole. Again he held it before dropping it!! I even tried putting a leg over it but he wasn't having any of it. I thought b**ger it! and cut up 2 chicks into small nibble size peices and proceeded to put the bits into his mouth all with varying degrees of success. After a painstaking hour and a half I managed to get all of the 2 chicks into him and 3/4 of on mouse. I have left 2 full chicks in the enclosure with him which he may decide to eat later on!

He seemed to enjoy the dogs dirty old quilt as with all the rain recently they've made it a right mess...............................

Ondogblanket.jpg

Ondogblanket1.jpg

loungingabout.jpg

lounging.jpg

Had a great day with him today; all the other birds were too heavy still so again he's had the main part of my attention. I weighed all the birds and sat with them for 20 minutes to half hour each before putting them back in the enclosures, then I got Bobby out and weighed him........4lb. 7oz. The 2 chicks I left in with him yesterday were hidden in the corner, so he is either storing them or just doesn't want them!!

The guys at work asked if I'd take him in so I put him on the cadge and we went back into work for half hour with about 15 of the staff coming out to "ooh and arrrrr!" at him. They were all highly impressed and he was so well behaved that personally something just doesn't seem quite right!! The lady was adament that he was untouched for at least 2 1/2 years but apart from first going in to pick him up he is so placid and well behaved it's 'amazing'!!! He is refusing whole foods but will take chick legs from my fingers and heads but no way will he take whole bodies!! This could be weight related and once I've had the DNA test done then I will sort out his weight properly.

I've had him on the fist for the last 4 hours, giving him the legs of 5 chicks and he took the heads of 3. Even when I had Millie the Bengal out, she like George the male hate their feet being touched and will only take so much stroking etc. before she gets fed up with it.