Been very busy today!

Saker Clive

Yesterday she was 3lb. 3 1/2oz. and after flying the Saker I put her on the line in the garden and she was much more eager for some reason; probably as I've held her at this weight for a while. Any way, she flew for legs and heads and the bodies of 2 chicks again.

Today, I've been running around a fair bit with other 'duties' so didn't even weigh any of the birds but I had defrosted a large rabbit. I butchered it outside in the garden, cut and pulled off the 4 legs, cut the head off and then cut the body into 3 peices.

Bobby was flying up to the front of the enclosure and started to make a higher pitched 'maaa'!! I went down and threw the rabbit head into the enclosure and before it had hit the ground, she had already caught it. I thought it would be good for the both of us to see just how she would react with a large peice of food and to have me at close quarters.......................................... ...............well; I'm glad I had my steel toe caps on as she lunged at my feet a couple of times before (and I think this is an owl thing, as the Bengals do the same) she 'sat on top of it like nesting on eggs!!!!! She fluffed herself up and there was no way in heaven or hell I was going to get near it! Obviously this is going to be another part of our training but at least I now know what I'm in for.

I took a couple of pics and a little video but haven't uploaded that yet but I will shortly

Sitting over the rabbit head...........

2010_0201Bobby0007.jpg

2010_0201Bobby0005.jpg

.........and it definately doesn't look too good for me to try to remove anything bigger than a chick!!!!! Her noises are her displeasure of me getting too close to her 'kill' :yes:

th_Bobbywithrabbithead.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

3lb. 4 1/2oz. I put her weight up a little as for the majority of this week it has been wet and 'orrible, so I knew that we wouldn't get out into the fields!

Flown her free a couple of times in the garden but decided to put her back on the line today...............................good job as well.

All was going as normal then the gulls got up and began going mental; I thought it ws just because Bobby wa out so we carried on, then I decided to go further back and upto the back door. No problem, she made her way over then landed on the lattice panel just before getting to me. nothing too much to be concerned about.............then we both saw it, and it saw us............................................a very cheeky and lucky fox jumped up onto the next door neighbours wall not 20 feet from us. Then everything seemed to go in slow motion. Almost as soon as we all saw each other, the fox shrugged down and froze for a split second, I grabbed the line at the same time Bobby was off towards it I managed to pull her up before she made the fence panel and she un-ceromoniously clattered to the patio area below (still on my side) whilst I frantically wound up the line. Needless to say the fox legged it and I managed to coax Bobby back up with a chicks head but she was pumped and seemed to want to kill something or someone!!! She was looking intently over the fence trying to get a glimpse of 'charlie' and as I began to take her back to the enclosure, she decided to administer the 'death grip'. It took about tem minutes before she calmed down and I was able to get her back onto her perch before finishing off with the last few heads and legs. In all she had the heads and legs of 5 chicks, and I'm going to soak my hand as the line burns as it went through.

This was earlier this week...................................

3lb. 4oz. IThe weather today here has been glorious sunshine so not wanting to miss any more flights, I took the Saker out first for an hour, then the Harris as there were a number of rabbits...........and we came home with one in the bag took some pics on the mobile but haven't uploaded them yet.................then flew Bobby in the garden as I was getting late, 17:20. I showed her the rabbit from the back door and she went into mental mode. I asked my son to video her from his bedroom but he was loving watching her that he 'forgot' to do it.......................................any way, I got her to do the usual couple of flights back and fourth, then I opened my Hawking bag and started to pull the rabbit out and she was thereand attached to the head. As she was trying to take it away she did lose her footing and landed on the grass giving me 'evils' with her blood soaked not so white feet. I must say, I was a little hesitant to turn my back on her to put the rabbit away but managed it without too much intervention from her. I got her to make a few more flights, then I got her to chase me around the garden with me draging the rabbit again.

Definately going to get out over the feild this week and I may take the carcase and attach that to the line and set her free...................gulp! that will depend on who and what else is about. Might have to take a freind or two for back up.

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys but the last 4 weeks we haven't been able to do much as I am getting a new car; I was told by the garage that 36 cars were due in (end of March) so instead of part 'x'ing it I sold it privately for an extra £300.......................................now nearly 6 weeks later, they are waiting for 75 cars to come in but still no sign of them!!!!! Would have been quicker to fly to Spain, and drive the bloody thing home :) .............any way, not much has been done, still flying in the garden BUT must get out over the feilds especially as the other birds have begun to moult.

I gave her the lower third of a rabbit carcase yesterday and like before, she sat on it, hiding it under her feathers and would not let me near her!! She wasn't being 'really' aggressive but just enough to let me know that if I'd carried on, I'd more than likely be in some kind of pain ;) I did take a few pics. so that might keep you interested..........................................

2010_0503Wild-life0012.jpg

2010_0503Wild-life0013.jpg

I was asked by one of my managers if I could take him, his daughter and wife out with the birds a little while back, not sure without going over the thread again if I posted anything about it but did take a few pictures.............................................

2010_0214Bruce0052.jpg

2010_0214Bruce0054.jpg

2010_0214Bruce0057.jpg

2010_0214Bruce0058.jpg

2010_0214Bruce0059.jpg

Edited by Saker-Clive

Not as big as she was when I first got her; she weighed 3lb. 1oz. yesterday and just on 5lb. back in November!!! Now I've had her about 5 months, I've come to the conclusion that she was definately a 'cuddly' bird!!! On the odd occaision I haven't been in and picked her up, she gets a little grumpy but as soon as I go in and get her, she loves to snuggle into me as if she wants a hug!!! ;)

She does enjoy coming in and 'watching' the telly or jumping about around the floor or flying around the room, then when I take her back to the enclosure, she nearly always gives me a little GHO death grip, before jumping to her perch.

I found out today that the cars will not be in the country until June 1st!!! then they have to ship them around the country. brought Bobby in today and played with her and the lure; this is the first time that she jumped onto it and dragged it about. I placed a medium rat on there and after it was eaten she came off it without any problems.

2010_0514Harry-miniture-Dachs0026.jpg

2010_0514Bobbyonlure1.jpg

2010_0514Bobbyonlure2.jpg

2010_0514Bobbyonlure3.jpg

2010_0514Bobbyonlure6.jpg

2010_0514Bobbyonlure7.jpg

2010_0514Harry-miniture-Dachs0018.jpg

2010_0514Harry-miniture-Dachs0020.jpg

• 1 month later...
Quick update, car arrived last Wednesday but Bobby is now throwing feathers like a split pillow and moulting :blink: Obviously I'm not handling her as much but she still flies for her food in the enclosure so keeping the bond. :good:

Thats kyboshed one of the best long running threads on this forum :cry1:

harrypen

No not really, I'll still update to keep things running etc. last night me and the boy took the rimmy over one of my permissions; 5 rabbits in 20 minutes, the birds were happy when we got home and played about hitting a few golf balls as well. going out again tonight so hopefully get some more; might take the camera as well. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I put her back on the creance and she flew for her food in the garden; at 2lb. 6oz. and obviously high she did fly all beit mainly in her own time. I want to simply get her used to being out again and get her into a routine for now. She is still moulting but also enjoys being out and handled!!

Last evening, I went to the back door around 21:20 and Bobby started calling as soon as she saw me; once I'd acknoweledged her she called even more and was bowing down again with her tail raised!! This morning as soon as I opened the door she did the same again, and as you'd expect from me, I took a little footage I still need to make a new cadge for the car but I'm getting less time just lately to do anything I want :good:

Is she showing tendances for mating or just happy to see me?................I thought they bred January - March??

just click on the pic. to see clip.

th_Bobbycalling.jpg

Edited by Saker-Clive

Yesterday I put her back on the creance and she flew for her food in the garden; at 2lb. 6oz. and obviously high she did fly all beit mainly in her own time. I want to simply get her used to being out again and get her into a routine for now. She is still moulting but also enjoys being out and handled!!

Last evening, I went to the back door around 21:20 and Bobby started calling as soon as she saw me; once I'd acknoweledged her she called even more and was bowing down again with her tail raised!! This morning as soon as I opened the door she did the same again, and as you'd expect from me, I took a little footage I still need to make a new cadge for the car but I'm getting less time just lately to do anything I want :lol:

Is she showing tendances for mating or just happy to see me?................I thought they bred January - March??

just click on the pic. to see clip.

th_Bobbycalling.jpg

I think if your mrs gave you those signals ,,,YOU"D HAVE A GRIN LIKE A CHESHIRE CAT :good:

atb

harrypen