Been very busy today!

Saker Clive

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is a great read and I am looking forward to more instalments.

Its intriguing how his current behaviour doesn't match what you were told about him, also why isn't he eating "normally" ?

Stay tuned. :good:

It's not unusual for newly aquired birds to not eat at all for anything upto a week depending on species etc. as the upset of change of routine or like this case allegedly not touched for all that time, then being caught up restrained and now having me maul him for 5-6 hours of the day. his weight is compared to the normal males a good pound over weight so once I've got the DNA results sorted and I know exactly what sex he is, I can then make the adjustments to his weight etc. and once he starts to feel a little hunger, he'll soon want to eat. I've never heard of a bird that will starve itself so I'm confident about how he will get going.

He was 4lb. 7oz. again today and still refuses whole foods for some reason!! It may be because he's obesse but until I get the DNA kit then the results I won't know for sure!!!

Again today he took food in bits, 2 chicks all cut up into small peices and the legs of 5 others and 3 small mouse heads; I tried to fool him with the whole mouse by taking the weight but he knew better and dropped it onto my lap

A couple more pics ............................doing his equipment and with Dani,

Newequipment.jpg

DaniBobby1.jpg

and a little bit of video but it is very dark for some reason!! I will get some far better clips soon.

4lb. 6 1/2oz. today; I took him for his first manning walk over my usual permission this morning. He was very uncertain for the first 50 yards and kept rolling off the glove but I stopped and stood still for a minute or two and got him settled then slowly carried on for about 300 yards. There I decided to stop and place him on a post just so he could take in the vast surroundings, sight and sounds. He was bobbing and parralaxing his head at dogs over 200 yards away which I thought a little strange but with his 'hatred' of dogs I soon changed my mind. He is getting better at home with one of my dogs as it doesn't show any interest in him but Biggles the GSD x Husky is far too inquisitive and loves to sniff around the back area of the other birds but Bobby wont tolerate it at the moment.

An old forum buddy came over as well to see all the birds again as we haven't seen each other for about 2 years!! We flew Zarbu, fed the Bengals, flew kier and got Bobby out for him to swoon over.

I gave Bobby a few chick legs and 1 head and that is going to be it for today. I also got the DNA kit so on Monday I'll either pluck some fearthers or do a blood sample and get it sent off same day.

A few pics of him out in the open......................

Firstdayout.jpg

It's a puppet!!!

Firstdayout1.jpg

Firstdayout2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update on Bobby; because the weather has been pretty dismal recently , I've not been able to get the other birds out flying so in one respect, it's done me a favour as I've spent a lot of time manning her down. Her weight now is 4lb. and she is still holding out on steping up or jumping to me for food but that will come. Last night she was quite 'bitey' at the fingers and hand obviously looking for food.

I got a little bit on video of her in her enclosure; you will hear her twittering which shows uneasyness as she's not too sure about the camcorder :angry:

th_Bobbyinenclosure.jpg

I've been chatting to a guy in Canada who rehabilitates wild ones and he has said that they can be really stubborn once they get to a particular point!!!

I took her out for a walk to one of my permissions yesterday mainly to get her used to being out and about and seeing the different sights. Compared to the first time we went out she was good as gold. I placed her in some of the trees and she didn't try to ring up in the branches (not that she'd have got far being tied to the glove). Her weight is now down to 3lb. 15 1/2oz. so it wont be long before she starts to respond to proper training. I'm hoping to be getting her out on the line for January!! :good:

walkabout4.jpg

walkabout3.jpg

walkabout.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

SHE DID IT.................she bloody well did it

3lb. 11oz. and my plan for today was not to feed her today and really go for it tomorrow but on feeding the others she seemed to show more interest in what I was doing, so armed with a mere little mouse, I went into the enclosure in the rain and had a little talk to her and a quick stroke then I offered her the mouse just out of reach. She looked at it and craned forward to try to take it and once she realised it was just a little too far she stood up and gazed straight at me. This was a little unnerving as I didn't want her doing an impersonation of the Alien on my pretty face!! I looked back at her and quietly encouraged her to go for it and again she leant forward and this time, she had her wings open for better balance but she just wouldn't go. This carried on for nearly 25 minutese and although cold and wet, I had commited and I could see it in her eyes that she was hell bent on having that mouse!

Millie the Bengal began to jump from perch to perch and 'mnaaaagh'd at us as if to say, "for Gods sake just do it and we can all have a bit of piece!!"

Bobby tried a different approach as my arm was now feeling like a lead weight; I placed my elbow on the perch but kept my hand still out of reach..................................now she shuffled up to my elbow and leant over again and took the piping on the glove to pull my hand closer but I wasn't giving in to that. I dropped my arm down and she watched the mouse almost as if to jump down to catch it. After a few seconds rest, I held my arm out again and supported it with my right hand inside the glove as well. She tried again to lean into it, then she looked like she was riding a bike as she lifted one foot off the perch and was egging herself on to step over but still unconvinced she stopped. I said to her that all she has to do is come across once and i'll go and get another bit of food. A short while after that she paced up and down, opened her wings and then completed the task in hand. She jumped across and she stayed on the glove whilst I kissed her head then I placed her back on the perch.

Pleased as punch, I went indoors and got a chick and went back down for another go. I gave her a leg by hand then we went through it again. She was still insure about it but she did it again and this time it didn't take that long either. I locked her up and came to tell the tale

Hopefully tonight will be cold so tomorrow we start again; still more weight to come off for a quicker responce but we have now turned that major point. Christmas has come early for me today.

3lb. 10oz. As it was another good clear day today I flew the Saker and harris so I have only just finished 'manning her' and feeding her.

Today Igot 5 jumps out of 2 chicks and 3 of them were the length of the enclosue. Her first jump like previously was very hesitant and she took the head off so after praising her I placed her back on the perch and offered her the glove again. She was alot more tuned in this time and only took a minute or so to make her second jump. I let her eat all the body before putting her back. The light had gone so I decided as my feet were cold already I'd simply stand on the other side of the enclosure and lean up against the panelling. I called to her and almost immediately I could see her shuffling her feet to get ready and then she flew this time about 5 feet and like the first time, took the head off. I praised her and showed her the perch and she went straight back. I offered her the body again and within 20 seconds she flew across again and took a big chunk leaving the 2 legs and a bit of the lower end. Again, I showed her to the perch and she flew back then came back for the last peice. I wanted to give her another one but thouht that it would have been too much too soon. Tomorrow a freind is coming over to come out with the Saker and Harris so hopefully he'll see her fly for food and even get some pics. which will be excellent if he does as he is a pro photographer. :rolleyes:

3lb. 9oz. A good afternoon with her today; after flying the Saker and got totally frozen, even with full thermals on, roll neck, sweatshirt and a hoody, then my jacket, temperature is about 1c but the wind chill is minus 1.7c and even now my feet are still cold!!!

I brought her in and I placed the heads and legs of 2 chicks on the glove which she eagerly ate and afterwards, she was still going down and nibbling the glove obviously looking for more......................................with that in mind, I put her away for half an hour, then went back in with the bodies. This was about 16:15 so still pretty light. I tried her full length but although very interested and getting ready to go, she just wouldn't! So I went closer and let her bite the neck off which gave her the taste again............................went back to my position and again, she just wouldn't commit, so I came in and had a cup of tea. After that I went back down and the light was fading fast and a little darker than 'dusk!! I stood at the back of the enclosure and within a minute she flew across and took her reward. I got her to fly back and got the other body on the glove........................................she waited a little longer this time but within 5 minutes she flew across again, took the body and flew back to the perch; my fault as I only laid it across the glove and didn't hold it.

I am thinking that she is more comfortable at this time flying in the slightly darker time of day. I know in the wilds they are more crepuscular but captive bird are going to be different. I'm also happier that she is responding at a 'higher' weight as this should help her settle into a routine without having to 'push' her and her weight to much, so she see's me as a partner and not someone forcing her to do anything.

3lb. 8 1/2oz. She was very eager today but she was also a little sticky footed!!!!

After feeding the others, I went into her and her posture was a little different compared to recent days; she looked more like she was on a mission and I was a tad unnerved by the way she was looking at me at first.

Almost as soon as I got the food pot out she was leaning forward and getting ready to jump. There was no way I was going to do the little step overs so I set the video up and stood the 6 feet away and showed her the chick............................................. .....she was on her way within a few seconds.............................my feet are still frozen so just watch the clip; I've only edited out the bits where I've got the food out of the pot and when she went from the glove stickily and landed on the floor!!!!

I doubt I'll post any more video until we get to the next stage or out in the field....................

th_BobbyDecember17th.jpg

Edited by Saker Clive

Well today has been fraught with excitement, embarrassment and devastation for a short while then back to jubilation!!!

Everything was going superb as Dani (my daughter) and I took Bobby out and about in the snow for some hopefully pretty pictures. We got to the first place and found a few areas with virgin snow and trees and took a number of pictures as well as messing about in the snow.

Then we went to our normal spot close to home and again we were having an enjoyable time, met a few walker that couldn't help themselves once seeing bobby and came over for a closer look and a chat. On ur way back to the car, another group of 3 young women and 2 guys approached and asked if it was a Tawny owl.............................. then one of the women spoke and had a Canadian accent; so I said that you should know what this is, then explained that she was a Canadian Great horned owl etc. and they asked if they could take some pictures of her. Now this is the embarrassing part on my part; yes I had tied Bobby to the glove but not with my usual falconer knott.........................................you can guess what is coming can't you?.............................................. ...........I went to let her jump down onto the snow and as she did, I felt a little tug on the glove, then my heart sank but also I felt really glad to see what I did!! Bobby somehow carried on and flew 60 yards and landed 25 feet up in a tree. Dani said "Oh ****!!......................." and i said pretty much "Ooops!!" The people asked if there would be a problem and I said that she was 12 years old, I've only had her for 8 weeks and prior to that the prevous 3 years she hasn't been touched; so basically could be in deep do-do's!!" I legged it up to the bushes and trees and found where she was. There was no point trying to tempt her down with food as I didn't have any and I honestley don't think that she'd have come down for it anyway so it was get up the tree regardless. I got about ten feet up then the branches were getting considerably thinner and begining to break as I put my foot on them. Then a few more feet up, with bobby looking at me thinking 'this is bloody great fun', I took another footing then ..................................snap! I was dangling like an overweight jymnast on the parrallel bars by my armpits. I thought that this was it but managed inbetween Dani wetting herself at my predicamant, Bobby looking at me as if I was mental, to get another foot hold and edged my self up towards her. She was good as gold and just watched me as I neared then I had to lean out to get the leash...............................now the branch I was laying across was only about an inch in diameter and was very springy. I managed to get the leash and bobby didn't bate or try to ladder up any higher and I gently pulled her towards me until she let go and I had her jump (luckily) towards me. I got her well and truelly on the glove then had to navigate my way back down. I got a little lower, then put her on a branch while I moved down a bit more, picked her up again and carried on until we got back to tera firma. My heart was thumping, my right hand had gone numb with the snow and trying to grip but all was well once again.

A very silly lesson learned and one I should not have ever had but these things are sent to try us and alls well that ends well!

lookiggoog.jpg

insnow.jpg

inNarnia.jpg

chillin.jpg

canyouseeme.jpg

Narnia.jpg

insnow5.jpg

afterrescue1.jpg