Ferel pgeons for training

How Many Of You Use Ferel Pigeons For Dog Training  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Of You Use Ferel Pigeons For Dog Training

• Use Them
    • Don't Use Them
    • Don't Use Them But Would Like To Learn How.

Trying to decide if I should write an article on the Use of ferel pigeons for dog training. It seems every time I mention it on here I get a Blank stare back, asking if I am daft. These birds are easy to catch, easy to keep, and easy to use, aswell as being free. They come in handy for all types of training, have excellant scent and did I mention are free for the catching. You can also use culled racing pigeons, or tumblers. Are you interested in learning more?

Cranners these birds are used to help a dog follow a trail or fall as the bird can be brailled so to speak.

They are better than woodies too because the feathers don't fall out them the same which can be off-putting to a young or inexperienced dog.

Remember not all birds are dead for the retrieve, what about runners and flappers too?

I've used ferrals and a friend of mines who works for the council catches them for me. :/

Adam

Pigeons are used all through training. They can be used to introduce the gun correctly, to teach a dog to quarter at a correct distance from the handler, to teach a dog to sit to a flushed and shot bird, to teach proper retrieving, Teaching pointers to be steady to flush, wing and shot, teaching pointers to point....you name it in gundog work and they can be used.

NTTF,

The use of live release traps is not that common over here but interest seems to be growing. At this years CLA Ian Openshaw’s demo included live release traps. I can see the advantages in this method and would be very interested in reading about your training scenarios using live pigeons. Obviously you can set up different situations on a variety of training grounds. We tend to favour the rabbit pen for steadiness training and the inclusion of the odd clipped cock bird helps too! I always introduce dogs to feather using feral’s but my S410 has had a word with them first :/:/;)

Cheers

nttf, I would be interested in reading details of your methods.

I have had three Springers professionally trained ( the last one was about 15 years ago and I know things change) and no live pigeons were used at all.

The rabbit pen for steadiness, long leads for quartering and distance, thrown dummies for steadiness at flush and they were introduced to the clipped cock pheasant, etc.

Retrieving was often pigeons, but in a nylon tube to avoid loose feathers.