cockers

tony armstrong

I, personally, like the Welsh lines of Maesydderwen and Wernffrwd which produce smaller more 'racing snake' type cockers. A pedigree with these names in will most likely produce lively dogs which are keen to retrieve. The 'older' lines are the ones to look for if you want a bigger built shorter coupled type but I'm not sure of where you'll find these. These 'older' style dogs tend to be more relaxed and are often better for your 'average' shooting man.

Be careful with regards to the breeding as if you just want a solid rough shooting / beating etc. dog then you don't want to go for a pedigree full of FTCH as they can really be quite a handful when they're full on trial bred. They are different to train in comparison with Springers and their little personalities can really test your patience at times!

From the TTT club in the northeast

http://www.tyneteestweedfta.com/userimages/forum.htm

I get quite a lot of calls from people looking to purchase gundogs, puppies, trained, part trained, spaniels and/or retrievers. The club does not allow (quite rightly) its forum page to be used for the sale/purchase of dogs/puppies. If anybody has a dog/s for sale or are looking for a dog/puppy, if you contact me directly I will keep a list and try to put sellers with buyers. There is absolutely no financial gain sought by me or the club, its just a service we hope will be of help.

Malcolm Taylor

Contact me via email at biteabout@yahoo.co.uk

This man is not a breeder, he has no vested interest in any kennel and he is a good judge of dogs.

Listen to breeders at your peril.

Edited by langlands

I, personally, like the Welsh lines of Maesydderwen and Wernffrwd which produce smaller more 'racing snake' type cockers. A pedigree with these names in will most likely produce lively dogs which are keen to retrieve. The 'older' lines are the ones to look for if you want a bigger built shorter coupled type but I'm not sure of where you'll find these. These 'older' style dogs tend to be more relaxed and are often better for your 'average' shooting man.

Be careful with regards to the breeding as if you just want a solid rough shooting / beating etc. dog then you don't want to go for a pedigree full of FTCH as they can really be quite a handful when they're full on trial bred. They are different to train in comparison with Springers and their little personalities can really test your patience at times!

:rolleyes: Try P Bevan in Carmarthen.

LB

I agree with the above. I have a 5 month old pup by Maesydderwen Silhouette. http://www.dolbreningundogs.co.uk/Dolbreni.../Stud_Dogs.html He is a cracking pup, exactly as above full of brains and energy and totally full on.

Very sound advice from gdunc. Good luck.

I once sat for a few hours with Peter Jones who has the Maesydderwen affix. He was chatting to me about his bloodlines and why he bred so heavily along the Wernffrwd Kathleen line. He said he liked them as they do not go far away from you they naturally stay close.

I bought a pup from Peter, argueably the best bred cocker I have got and although she is a great little dog and true to working cocker type. She is probably thew worst gundog I own. She is so highly bred down the Kathleen line that without being taught to walk to heel she is permanantly glued to me. Literally never ever leaves my side not even to run with the other dogs.

So don't read too much into having aparticular line. Especially if there is too much Maesydderwen try to make sure that it has been outcrossed to bring a little bit of independance back in.

Ian

I have a Maesydderwen dog pup from Peter Jones's dog Scimitar and his sons bitch; he is not 'sticky' at all, his hunting is unbelievable and is the easiest dog I have ever had to train.

I have no connection with Peter Jones, but I think to damn a breeder and his line for one pup is a little harsh.

P.S. He does stay close to me, but only after we have 'discussed it' very carefully.

try here i have two cockers with their strain and both are outstanding in my field.

i have just sold a complete litter from my older bitch on here and all are happy. :good:

i will be trying my damnest to keep the strain i have going personaly.

worth a look.

Edited by ROBLATCH

try here i have two cockers with their strain and both are outstanding in my field.

i have just sold a complete litter from my older bitch on here and all are happy. :good:

i will be trying my damnest to keep the strain i have going personaly.

worth a look.

Nothing wrong with those Summerville dogs but as they are mostly out of Larford / Maesydderwen you could go direct to those breeders.

The cocker breed is in fantastic shape at present & there are a few people who can be very proud of what they have done for the breed. :/

I did not Dam the line at all. If I were to post up the pedigree of my bitch then in another thread it would be called INBREEDING. She is displaying exactly what Peter bred for but she displays it in a extreme way.

If your Maesydderwen dog goes off and hunts by its self then maybe you could argue that yours is less true to Maesydderwen type than mine.

Ian