Advice Required

Axe

I have a 13 acre shoot thats absolutely riddled with rabbits. The chap that owns the land is now keeping horses and is desperate to get rid of the pests. Now this has been a steady work in progress but we are unable to really keep on top of it.

The reason is that 2/3rds of the property is surrounded by open fields of around 20 acres of which we do not have permission. The rabbits, crafty little *******, are coursing through the fences etc, from these fields. Now of course we could sit and wait the eternity to get them one at a time when they do, but it would be far more viable to get in to the fields.

The fields are owned, we beleive, by Southern Water Waste Management. They are not used for anything what so ever. So I would like to try and get permission for the land. It goes without saying that we will offer this free, but I could really use some expert advice on how to approach this. I dont want to make a hash of a first attempt that may well prevent a second.

We are of course BASC insured and can throw in all the jargon regarding public liability insurance etc. But i doubt a lamens letter with simple wording is going to be enough. Also who on earth (position) would I be looking to send a potential to.

Huge thanks in advance.

Axe.

I had the same situation on some land I shoot on, I went in and spoke to the foreman, got him on my side, got the name of his boss, dropped the foremans name etc. his boss asked to see my insurance and gave me permission just like that.

BTW offer them a share of the rabbits, barter works well I find.

also you could tell him he has a duty to control them and you will save him hunderds of quid.

Edited by bobt

Guess what Axe?,

I'm a long netter and I live in Brighton. I'm absolutely not interested in shooting, I did enough of that when I was in the military, but I love my long netting and ferreting. If you're considering getting a long net of your own, I would willingly meet up with you first and show you the ropes with my own gear before you invest in your own. I have plenty of ground of my own to go at around Sussex but I'm always willingly to share my knowledge of long netting because it helps keep the art alive and that's got to be a good thing :unsure: !

Thanks for all the advice guys i'll venture a letter and/or a phone call soon.

Longnetter-sorry i missed your post, that is indeed a very generous offer. At this moment in time we are taking steps to get on top of them. Changing our routine, lamping etc. And finally I am going to make an application for a rimfire. Which I find now is one heck of a tool. If this doesnt wortk and the owner gets very deperate i'll call on your services.

Whilst we're on longnets are they only good for open spaces. Having seen demo's and pics I would imagine yes. However, I have another shoot thats 100 times harder to control. Its basically about 2-3 acres half of which is a farm for christmas trees. Unfortuantely this is all very close quarter stuff and the remaing open areas are fairly high (up to knee height) growth of grass and thistle.

I may have to admit defeat and relent to the owner employing a pro to gas them out, which is something he said he thinking of!!!

Regards,

Axe.

PS If anyone has further advice on the original post, it is still welcome.

I have seen a few requests on here for people to post an example of letter requesting shooting permission.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to come up with a 'template' for letter that we can all agree has the right words in it? this can then me tailored to suit each request.

What does anyone else think?

Guest Mr Pieman

Axe,

snares can be very effective if run over a week or two. Especially where Mr Bunny has made well trodden tracks from other land onto yours :)

Don't forget they need regular checking though ???

PP

As for gassing, I have no idea of the law. I would assume that a Professional Pest Controlling company would employ legal methods and would advise thier clients accordingly.

Stuart, the letter sounds like a good idea, perhaps people should start posting some and a consolidated letter compiled.

Hadn't given thought to traps and snares etc. as a newbie in the woprld of conservation my equipment cupboard is rather bare. I think at this stage i will make every effort I can with existing tools before either letting someone else on or buying more equipment. After all im not charging for this.

Anyone have any suggestions regards my original post, where to start who to speak to?

Regards,

axe.

Axe,

I will try and come up with some words of wisdom.

There are 2 categories we need to consider when applying for permission for land, normal folk - i.e. farmers etc, and corporates. I too want get permission from our local water board and also Lafarge Aggregates. A very careful approach will need to be adopted with any organisation as they are paranoid about potential injuries and the ramifications - so if anyone has had any success maybe they can share their experiences?

You can drop Southern Water a mail here, just to get to the right department, without being too specific about your needs, and then take it from there:

customerservices@southernwater.co.uk

Once you get to the right person I would definitely use the approach that 'their' problem is causing your current landowner a problem and that you can help them out. The duty of care to surrounding landowners is good tack to use.

Let us know how you get on...

The land owner has already mentioned that the water board are not that 'gun' friendly. I'm really concerned that I make the right impression to the right person on the first attempt. I'm not sure a second attempt would ever be presented.

Knocking the letter up I dont think is going to be to much of a problem, but getting it to the right person will be. I'd still much rather speak to someone first (I was fortunately given the 'gift of the gab' at birth ??? ).

I've searched the website many times and can not find any reference to other people within the organisation.

I'll let this run for a few weeks to see if anything does appear. If not i'll jump in at the deep end and give it a go.

I will of course post the progress and outcome and any methods that may of helped or not helped.

Regards,

Axe.

• 2 weeks later...

I had trouble getting to see this farmer about permission to rabbit his land, he was never about when I called around, but eventually agreed to let me go. The rabbit buries are massive, with steps leading down into them, loads of bunks and even cooking facilities, they even have their own armoury!

beanladen.jpg

Edited by longnetter

:huh: Longnetter....Mr Bean-Laden :lol:

Anyway, back on track, i've visited the treatment plant near by to the land i'm after. They gave me a number to ring and....well lets just say i've made 10 phone calls to different numbers so far!

Anyway I have finally found who I need to talk to and await a call back from him. I must admit, I have put this off for a while, as I thought it was going to be an ordeal. But so far, it's been fairly straight forward.

My point is, if you don't try you'll never get anywhere. The only thing that I stumbled on was being asked what company was I from. I had to explain that I wasn't from a company but was doing this in my spare time. I fumbled it a bit, so in future I will rehearse my responses to such questions.

Anyway, if I do get finally get the permission, it will raise other issues, such as the land is Leased to farmer. Though not in use, will southern water be able to grant me permission without the farmers say so?!

Regards,

Axe.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well, after all my perserverance i'm pleased to say its all paid off. :blink: I placed a phone call today, to the chap I had orinally spoken to at the water board. He was reassuringly happy to talk and when I posed the question, I havent heard anything he responded 'havent you received my letter'!

Anyway, turns out the letter is delayed in the post, damn post office, but in essence he said we are very happy for you to control the land we were talking about. In all I think its about 25 acres. Anyway he wants to issue me with a licence on production of a, and this will turn heads, BASC membership number and insurance details.

In addition, he is going to put me in touch with the leaseholder who is also very happy for us to control the land and has other farm land he wants controlling as well. It never rains it pours eh! So now I have a great deal more land than expected. And to top it all off, he has also commented on possibly giving us further land that the water board own!

So guys, grit ya teeth and perservere, be polite but possitive in your conversation and hopefully you will prosper as I have done.

Thanks to everyone who has voluntered help.

Kind regards,

Axe. :(

sounds like a great relationship to have.

ive found that more often than not i find my self thinking about asking, and the worst someone can say is no, i spent a whole day cycling around an area near one of my large permissions, and aquired another few hundred acres, meaning i now have permission on about 2 square miles of land (give or take the odd piece)

lots of it is unshootable, but lots of it is very much shootable.

next thing to do is to tap up a local golf course and see if i cant work something out there.

Thanks guys, its funny, becuase when I viewed the grant application the other day I noticed it has a small box to fill in details of the land being shot. I was rather dismayed when I realised I wouldnt be able to get all the different back gardens etc on there. But we have been so succesful i'm now simple going to put the village names, its gettiung that silly! :(

Nick, its definitely worth a trip to the golf course. As you say, the very worse thing that can happen, is they say no. Nothing ventured nothing gained in my opinion. And once you have a name that people are familiar with, the only way is up. Now when I knock on doors etc. I can explain that I pest control for the water board among others.

Regards,

Axe. :blink: