One for the mechanic's or auto sparks

GW80

I'm having problems with a 2001 Astra estate, it's starting ok and will drive but every so often it starts chugging like it's about to conk out, it's happening mainly in the top gears and it seems down on power by a good bit. I have put on a new set of plugs and leads on, checked the distribuitor for damp all the usually stuff but they are ok, i filled it up with petrol on saturday past and have done plenty of driving so i don't reckon it's dirty fuel. Any ideas chaps?:hmm:?

what were the plugs like when you took them out and is it using much oil?

Not using much oil at all, had changed the oil and filter about a month ago, the plugs seemed ok but put the new one's in anyway, also the engine seems to be running a little cooler than normal but put that down to the colder weather.

When it chugs if you rev it in neutral does it respond or just continue chugging then magically fix itself and go back to idle? If its the latter my last car did that and it just needed a new battery, after it was replaced i had no problems with it.

Mark

There's plenty of life in the battery, i tested it and all the cells are fine! It really does seem to be damp getting in somewhere to me or dirt in the carb.

has the engine management light come on at all?

Not while driving, but it has flashed and cut the engine the odd time when you start her, but that had been happening for months before this problem came up, i bust a key in the ignition about 6 months ago and had to replace it with a new barrel and key and swapped the chip out of the old key into the new key so i don't think that is causing this prob?

Get a can of wd 40 spray all your elecs h t leads take the cover off the regulater box and spray that as well wd40 dispells water and wont hurt anything

H

First thing i did mate as well as changing the plugs, it's a strange one, rang a mate there and he was saying that vauxhall's around that age are prone to damp but to me everything that should be dry is dry!! :hmm:

Thanks for the replys, but looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay for the diagnostic test, cause for the life of me i can't see the problem! At least if i don't get it fixed for the weekend it will prove who are my shooting buds and who just like a free lift to the marsh!!

Possibly a Lambda sensor: usually mounted in the exhaust below the exhaust manifold:

check the electrical connection and the wire: is it shorting on something?

The fact that it is intermittant, might mean an electrical connection rather than the sensor itself. Only a diagnosis will check the sensor.

Good luck

HTH

FG

not to sure which engine you have, you don't say, anyway check air flow meter is clean, and the vac hoses are ok, my guess is that the diag test which show up cam or crank sensor, most likely cam, if this is so do not buy the cheap sensors from ebay, get the modified kit ( if your car needs it, your dealer will know) and sensor from your vaux dealer and fit that.

hi mate if the engine managment light has come on it would have stored the fault code shame your so far away, my first thoughts of this would be the EGR valve thats on the intake for the air cleaner or the cam shaft senser, the reason is loseing power is proberly its gone into limp mode, (safe mode) the way forward here is to find some one with a code reader proberly your local garage

hope this helps

kenny

If I read your original post right it would appear that your are getting a missfire under heavy load/high gear?

Try a set of leads or even better measure the resistance on each lead.

PM me if you want the set values.

LB

Im with Charlie on this :yes:

If I read your original post right it would appear that your are getting a missfire under heavy load/high gear?

Try a set of leads or even better measure the resistance on each lead.

PM me if you want the set values.

LB

Im with Charlie on this ;)

I have put on a new set of plugs and leads on,

:yes:

Edited by Paul223