Eley First's

I'm after some help please!

I have been using eley Firsts 28g but have been finding the recoil too much. I tried installing a bigger recoil pad which really mucked up my aim and affected my scores greatly so am now thinking about changing cartridges.

I have been reccomended Eley First lites 21g, but am worried that the lower amount of lead will affect my scores, and dont want to buy 500 or 1000 and regret it.

Are there any of you out there who have made the change? How did you find them? How did it affect your scores?

Cheers

I've tried the 21g and found them absolutely fine. The 24g is the optimum I think.

There are lots of accomplished shooters out there that believe that these lighter loads actually pattern better than 28g loads!

Personally I find that I hit as much with the 21g as I would with the 28g on a standard sporting clay setup - but with far less recoil.

It's important that you're comfortable - so I'd say go for the lighter loads and see how you get on. Gun mount and all of those other things will be far easier to work on once you're shooting comfortably.

Good luck.

Steve

Thanks for all the replies!

With regards to the comments about gun mount, I actually had a couple of lessons in the summer part of that being gun mount, so I would like to think that i'm doing it right.

However I do find that different coaches and long established shooters do tell me conflicting things - One person will advise the "right" way to do something, and then somewhere else I will be told that it's wrong!

Cheers

Are you shooting Gun Down ? if you are try pre mounting before the shot.

I pretty much have always shot 28g firsts, and apart from when i first got my gun and the stock was to short I've never had any problems with recoil, unless i mounted the gun badly

I know coaches who use 21gm carts for less recoil, its not just down to mounting gun poorly this can be an issue but there is a great deal of causes for felt recoil injuries and your body weight and form are all factors i had qualified instruction every week for about 4 months before i got my Shotgun cert i have good mount but i still feel recoil every now and then from 28gm so to stop this completely i use 21gm this increases my shooting score considerable as i am not waiting or flinching expecting the recoil.

Hello again...

With regards to the question about whether I shoot gun down, the answer is no, I always shoot gun up.

To the person who said that he found his scores increasing when they switched to the 21g because you wern't flinching, I must admit I had wondered that myself. There have been a couple of times when I've gone to take a shot and forgot to turn the safety off, and when I pull the trigger, I almost take a step forwards where I must be subconciously bracing myself against the recoil.

Cheers