Subaru Foretser.

Snap Cap

I'm seriously considering buying a one of these to replace my Pajero. Whilst my Pajero was great off road as it was a SWB you could not really get any amount of kit in it, especially if there was more than two of you going out and a dog. Plus it spent most of its time off road and by this I mean waiting for my mechanic to turn up an fix something or other on it.

So I have been looking at Subaru's as I think they tick most of the boxes, AWD so should fare wellover the shoot, its not rough over there anyway, just need to get the kit across a few fields. Plenty of room in the back for my kit. And also it seems to be pretty family orientated as well so should be able to take the kids out and about and get luggage in the back without some of it joining the kids on the back seat, like in my pajero.

The first major problem I have found is the eye watering insurance quotes I have had for them so far.

I cant afford to have two cars, one for shooting and one for domestic purposes, so need to find a happy medium so to speak.

Anyone got any views on these cars they think might be relevant before I visit the bank?

Cheers chaps

G.

I had a 2.0 turbo for several years. It was almost fault free but if you do need parts they ain't cheap & a lot of parts cannot be had anywhere but a main dealer.

Fuel consumption isn't good if you drive enthusiastically.

Other than that it was a very good car, loads of room for dogs etc, very comfortable on long journies.

Would I have another one, yes.

A chap i work with has one and never stops cursing the day he bought it, he doesnt rate it for anything.

Personally i would say german or jap so something twin cab like a L200 or hilux or trooper although Nissans these days seem to be very good.

On the little shoot i attend other than 2 defenders the vehcles used are :

Nissan X-trail, Landrover freelander (latest shape), Mitsibishi shogun. None have ever got stuck and all are good rides on and off road, but all have AT tyres on them. :good:

a mate had one for years, few problems 30mpg rear suspension went and was expensive but an ok motor, he swapped it for an L200 better mpg and bigger car plus a lot better off road. But the forester was fine just nipping about fields when it was dry but then most cars are ok with that

are you after turbo or non-turbo (n/a model)

turbo a lot more powerfull, but running costs a lot higher

i have a n/a forester = non-turbo, from new since 2002. I run it on snow tyres in winter and its been very good.

i get around 30mpg average

only problems - within 20k miles an O2 sensor on cat failed, replaced under warranty

around 25-30k miles i burnt out clutch, due to letting it slip when towing a very heavy trailer - replaced under warranty - did i mention trailer...

its now just hitting 100k miles and 7yrs old, and replaced the cat converter section of exhaust, due to rusted hole near a flange = - expensive at 600 for the part from dealer, i did get a 150 quid part off ebay first, but that was wrong part, only had 1 O2 sensor hole, needed holes for 2

and it failed MOT on corroded brake pipes at rear.

other than that replaced front discs/pads once, and pads again once. Everything else is original.

no breakdowns

the car is fine for light offroading - muddy fields etc, and has a low-range option on gearbox, nopt that low geared, but good for engine braking on steep descents in snow/ice

pulling away with trailer and hills etc

i have found the forester a much better to drive in snow compared to a big heavy 4x4, like the 4runner (hilux) I owned at same time. replaced the 4runner for a Landcrusier colorado this year, so will see how that compares. Of course in very deep snow i would take the 4runner as its better clearance helped.

however, when i go shooting i take the landcruiser, as for really rough stuff there is no comparison

I still hanker for a turbo forester, as on the road they are exceptional!

it handles well on road, reasonable power, tows ok,

We got is as an estate car to carry dogs, ski kit, mountain bikes etc, to have a bit more ground-clearance than normal cars, and AWD and it has ticked those boxes and performed as well if not better than expected.

It has suprised us sometimes on steep snow roads/tracks with just how well it has gripped (with snow tyres of course)

I even towed a neighbours shogun once on a wet muddy grassy slopes. The shogun was running, and one of rear brakes was binding on, yes the scooby wheelspun, but i towed the shogun out of the field.

suppose the only downer is cost of parts - but due to reliability of the car, you should have to shell out on them very often (hopefully!)

would i get another - yes a pre-2008 model, i dont like the new foresters as much, they have gone fat and SUV, rather than an estate 4x4 which the forester i have is, although there is a diesel option now, but no turbo petrol anymore.

Edited by biakalblaster

I had two Foresters as company cars, and did 120,000 miles with each (50,000/year)

Both were faultless, with no major problems at all, and I towed a carvan with each.

Fuel economy was 30 - 34 mpg.

I had sunroofs in each, and these were superb for lamping/shooting out of. The low ratio box was excellent, and I used to smugly change into low ratio with one finger whilst on the move - my mate at the time had a Disco and he had to stop the thing and wrench the low ratio lever with full force to get it to change. He had endless gearbox problems as well.

The interiors were very plain and plasticky, which suited me well as it was so easy to keep clean.

There is now a diesel engine available, which should help the running costs considerably.

The main problem is finding a Subaru agent, as they are very few and far between.

I intend to retire soon, and my thoughts are towards a diesel X Trail, as they are more common than Foresters plus most are diesels. The lack of a low ratio and permanent 4 wheel drive would be a slight handicap, but the right model X Trail has the large sunroof.

Don

Thanks for the reply's people. Seems to be pretty unanimous that they are not too bad.

Had a look on Autotrader last night and local ones for sale,ie within 50 miles are pretty rare. Seems to be more for sale up north. Very nice one on there, low mileage, auto, and the right colour trouble is its 289 miles away.

Edited by Snap Cap

¨I intend to retire soon, and my thoughts are towards a diesel X Trail, as they are more common than Foresters plus most are diesels. The lack of a low ratio and permanent 4 wheel drive would be a slight handicap, but the right model X Trail has the large sunroof.

Don¨

My brother was looking at xtrail, until we discovered last night they use renault engines now.... and having both owned french cars in past -never again!

i think the navara had a french engine too - and the early ones have had quite a few problems

I've got an '01 2.0 turbo. 120k miles. The clutch went after 6 months but was replaced under warranty. Only service parts used since then apart from one coil pack and a battery. It seems to be unbreakable. Used with a caravan and lightish trailer. Only a small amount of off road - but off road ability is all down to tyre choice. Best I get is 30mpg, usually 28mpg - so not cheap to run. If you want to use if off road a lot then get some Mud&Snow rubber but that is noisy on road and will make the fuel consumption worse. Two sets of wheels and rubber would be nice!

I am on my second. Great car, very reliable, fuel consumption as per previously stated. Loads of room in the back, very smooth ride, moderately capable off road, i.e do not expect to climb mountains in one. Very good low ratio box. Negative points, got to admit they are ugly, main dealer parts expensive and err thats all I can think of at the moment....

Isn't it just a bammed-up estate car for folk who are impressed by stupidly big exhausts and baseball caps?

What's the ground clearance like? How will it perform with a good set of knobblies on?

No, the Forester is not! It was designed to drive like a car (try one and you'll see), with 'moderate' off-road capabilities.

As far as I can recall it uses the Impreza floor pan and running gear, but with an estate body. As it uses a boxer engine the c of g is very low.

Because it is light in weight it does not chew up the ground like a Discovery, and even with normal road tyres off road performance is not too bad. You have to use common sense when driving one - I had mine stuck once only and that was when I ran into a bubbling spring in a large field at midnight (the gamekeeper towed me out with his Toyota pick-up equipped with large knobblies).

The ground clearance is about the best you will get for a pseudo off roader.

If you are a family bloke with shooting as a hobby it is ideal - try taking a Disco into a multi story car park!

Don

What Don said yes they will fit into MSCar Parks which was a problem with my Discoveries less so with the Rangie.

Lower ground pressure is helpful though to be honest for most shooting purposes it is unlikely to cause much of

a problem as in any case farmers are not over keen on vehicles compacting the ground on fields.On muddy pastures

the Scooby will however do less damage .

There is more ground clearance on a Disco but again you are unlikely to need it for normal

shooting transport I've driven even less capable Tercel 4wd over the slopes around Kinder (not I hasten to add

over Kinder Scout and btw don't do this unless you have permission :good: I was shooting on the estate and as a member

of Hayfield GC :yes: ) and it is simply a case of reading the ground and using sense. If you are deer stalking on the far moors

then I do not doubt an L200, Disco or Landy 90 is likely to be a better choice ignoring the popularity of the ancient Subaru Brat

pickup amongst hill farmers. I am happy with the Outback (s) they have less ground clearance than the Forester no split ratio gearbox and auto

transmission but it does the job I am down rutted muddy tracks that really require a capable 4wd system .

Would I prefer a different motor for the job? yes I would an imported Impreza Gravel Express a bit smaller a bit quicker

but otherwise does exactly the same job and has increased ground clearance for the tracks .

That just leaves backing into bubbling springs yes I did that as well but in a Range Rover Vogue 3.5 and we had to dig it out

to recover it. :good:

• 2 weeks later...
Still looking for one and shopping around trying to get the insurance down to something less than astronomical.

Even Adrian Flux was heavy.

I have the Scooby Forester 2 litre turbo auto.

I have previously owned 3 Range Rovers, 1 Disco and a LandCruiser (all from new) and the Scooby is the best of the lot. Mine will tackle ice, mud, running water and slippery rock without a murmur.

I have inadvertently slid all three Range Rovers (3.9, 4.2 and 4.6 Litre) but I cannot get the Scooby to go other than where pointed.

By far the best car I have ever owned and (with tweaking :good: ) it eats Porsche Boxsters (and my wife's Honda S2000) for breakfast. Don't worry about fuel consumption - drive it for MPG (miles per grin!!!) and then go mud plugging! It will also sit well into three figures (on Autobahns only, you understand!!) with a/c on full and on cruise control. Fantastic!

My insurance is very cheap (though I am an old ***!). No it is not for sale!

Edited by Maple

had a Pajero (LWB) and it was fab but ended up being a money pit just because it was old and abused. Now have a new L200

Wifey traded her GTI for Forrester S Turbo.

the GTI was a pile of poo but all three of the others in their own ways brilliant cars.

Nothing beats the Pajero for cabin space and comfort after all they were £35000 cars new. The L200 has great load capabilties and the hard top on back makes it ideal for the hound (Rhodesian Ridgeback) he takes up some room.

The Forrester (y reg) has loads of room in boot, all four seat are comfy (heated seats for the mrs on cold days, although they make me think i've wet myself) It goes like slippery poo from a shovel (as does the fuel 25mpg) or can be driven sedately and much better MPG acheived. I've never really had to do much off roading with it, but at a rally one day in the snow lots of people taking it in turns to push each others cars up a slope as no one could get up it (ok mostly chav mobiles) I helped push a couple, they came back to help push me up the hill as i just happily drove up the incline past them all. Quite a nice smug feeling.

In short if you don't need serious off road and a little bit of pace from time to time the Subaru is great if you need the space and off road an L200 or simmilar would probably be better.