quail

Can anyone give me more info about quail? In the US they are common for bird training. Lots of gamebird farms sell them. I am thinking to build a quail recall pen this winter and getting some quail in the spring for dog training.

Are they available in the UK and where? I'm looking for adult, flight ready birds, preferably bobwhites. Any idea how much they cost? Are they legal to release and (potentially much later) shoot? What other options would I have?

Thanks

Rick

As far as I'm aware, I'm no expert mind, it would be illegal to release a non-indigenous species into the wild so I would check this out carefully before you get any!

Many are kept in aviaries under the other birds to eat spilled feed as a way of discouraging mice and rats. Some are kept for their eggs, being a delicacy to some but I don't think they are successful breeders in the wild. I will stand to be corrected on this however.

You can buy them in pet shops locally to me and I have kept them myself in the past.

Hope this has helped, even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, sorry.

GH

greenhunter,

I'm afraid you're right. I did some digging after your post and found the answer burried in some pdf files. In the wildlife act of 1981, part 1, section 14:

(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person releases or allows to escape into the wild any animal which-

a. is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britan in a wild state, or

b. is included in Part 1 of Schedule 9,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

Then reading into schedule 9 it clearly lists bobwhite quail. I thought that the term 'established species' as listed in schedule 9 meant that they were here and able to be released.

Thanks

Rick

The Quail is a native British species, migrating from Africa every year, rather like Swallows do.

That doesn't however mean that you can shoot them, if you encounter them in the wild.

The Bobwhite isn't a native species and it would be illegal to release them into the wild.

Cortunix cortunix is native and, in theory, it probably would still be illegal to release them because they wouldn't have the instinct to fly off to Africa to overwinter and some would consider it cruel to leave them to freeze.

If you did release them, you couldn't shoot them anyway.

You can buy cage bred aviary reared quail and breed them for eating. The eggs and oven prepared birds are found for sale in supermarkets and delicatessens.

The estate in Dorset where i work my cockers have a few wild Quail turn up most seasons i dont know where they come from but we see them every season the cockers seem to find them much the same as they find the partridges and phesants the old boys on the estate say the quail have allways been there, and they used to shoot them years ago.

• 1 month later...
I keep some for eggs and meat. they wouldn't last long in the wild preditors would have them straight away and the can't stand the damp/wet weather.

What do you keep them in? i had some didnt get one egg in the 3 years i had the b******* .there was deffinatly cocks and hens i think it was to little light that caused it.

What do you keep them in? i had some didnt get one egg in the 3 years i had the b******* .there was deffinatly cocks and hens i think it was to little light that caused it.

We have a couple in the bottom of our large aviary, we have had many eggs from them and early this year they have hatched 4 young and all survived. Maybe us being in Cornwall with milder winters might make a differance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep mine in a multi-story home made rabbit hutch type thing in the winter ans in little triangular arks on the grass in gthe summer. I've found they are ok in the cold but can't hadle the wet. If mine lay from 8 WEEKS old, if yours didn't lay in three years they must have been boys.!

Rats are the main problem in Avairys, they can be a right pain, you have to be right on top of Vermin control, even mice pee and cause them harm.